GO!

Over-heating puppy

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Max

Max. ((;

Barked: Tue Apr 24, '07 10:58am PST 
Hi everypup. It is getting really hot here in Utica, New York. The summer is supposed to be so hot and Max is all black which attracts sun. Now i want to know what happens when dogs/puppies get overheated and is there anything i can do to cool max down?
[notify]
Piper

i'm soooooo- cute!

Barked: Tue Apr 24, '07 11:13am PST 
Piper is a saint so she is also really prone to overheating. Lots of fresh water (i put ice in it to keep it cool), She also loves a dip in the pool (kiddy pool), shade and she should be good!
[notify]
Max

Max. ((;

Barked: Tue Apr 24, '07 11:16am PST 
Well max has all of that we even put some water on him every now and then. We have a pool but the only problem is that max HATES water even when he is burning and we put water on him he runs away. Any other ideas
[notify]

Tess

Raw-fed and- loving it!

Barked: Tue Apr 24, '07 11:28am PST 
Drs. Foster & Smith sells a variety of cooling products for dogs... they have cooling vests, cooling bandannas, and even cooling BEDS and bed inserts! They also carry the Chilly Bone, a perennial fave with my dogs... it's a canvas bone that can be soaked in water and frozen. I would also suggest freezing some chicken broth, pureed veggies/fruits, or plain yogurt inside of a Kong and having Max work on it when it's hot. Good luck and stay cool!

Drs. Foster & Smith site:

www.drsfostersmith.com (click on "Dog Supplies" at the top and search for "cooling products")
[notify]
Max

Max. ((;

Barked: Tue Apr 24, '07 11:42am PST 
that sounds great but mommy doesn't really like to shop online any other ideas

sorry if i'm turning down all of your ideas pups
[notify]
Lily, CGC,- Ringo, CGC &- Ebi

We are so cute!- Wanna snuggle?

Barked: Tue Apr 24, '07 11:59am PST 
Many dog stores carry similar stuff as Dr. Fosters and Smith (although we think they are GREAT) so you can probably find some of the items at PetSmart, PetCo or your local pet store. If your local pet store doesn't carry this stuff, you may try talking to the manager and ask them to order it for you. It is of course important to make sure there is always cool, fresh water and if your puppy is showing signs of overheating get them inside an air conditioned place ASAP and concentrate cool towels on their tummys.
[notify]
Max

Max. ((;

Barked: Tue Apr 24, '07 2:58pm PST 
Thanks for the help everyone!!
[notify]
Piper

i'm soooooo- cute!

Barked: Tue Apr 24, '07 3:20pm PST 
if you have a kong....and most pups do, try this....close off the small end of the kong with peanut butter, then fill the kong with chicken broth (low sodium) and kibble, close up the big end with peanut butter and then freeze it. Its icy cool and tasty, plus it will keep him occupied for a LONG time. My pups love it.
[notify]
Max

Max. ((;

Barked: Tue Apr 24, '07 3:29pm PST 
cool i'll try it thanks
[notify]
Tank

Do i really need- a shave?

Barked: Tue Apr 24, '07 4:58pm PST 
max,
We get a ice bag to lay on if it gets to hot. You got to teach them not to chew holes in it. They love it.

Also if you think your dog may be having a heat stroke Rub their bellys with a cool damp rag,till you can get to a vet.
Never throw water on their backs,you can cause them to have a heart attack.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2