GO!

Note About Puppy Season

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Jasmine

Such a Happy- Girl

Barked: Mon Apr 23, '07 5:04pm PST 
Hello to all prospective pup parents! wave

If you are considering adding a new bundle of fur to your life in the next 5 months or so, pawlease pay a visit to your local shelter first and foremost... even if it's just to look to see what kind of pups or dogs are currently looking for furever, or to even put your name down on a waiting list for a certain kind of pup that might come through the shelter's doors in the coming months.

There's a rather sad phenomenon called "puppy season" that has unfortunately already begun for '07. "Puppy season" refers to the massive numbers of pups that wind up in shelters for various reasons. Puppy season peaks during the spring and summer months.

Many people seem to have gotten the idea that puppies are quickly snapped up and hardly ever spend time in shelters. To the contrary, I have seen many puppies grow up in shelters. Shelters are not good places for puppies to grow up. In most cases, they can't get the socialization they need, the early training, the early love, etc. etc. This is not to say that dogs that have grown up in shelters are bad dogs. They are most certainly not. But for whatever reason, they are passed up time and time again.

Shelter puppies are just fine for first time dog owners! Research types when looking for a shelter dog, not specific breeds. Are you going to want an intense herding dog or a silly hound or a feisty terrier? You'll want to have a simple idea before you walk into a shelter so that you don't become overwhelmed by every dog.

Also consider fostering a pup or litters of pups or even a pregnant mother. Litters of young puppies increase during puppy season. Most shelters are not good environments for delicate puppies to try to survive their first couple of months in. You can give them a healthier start in life and also devote more time to them than the shelter staff can. Fostering a weaned puppy during it's most imprintable age will also ensure that it becomes a well-balanced dog. And if you can't foster, volunteer. Puppies need to get out of cages and play with eachother! And they can't do that unless there are enough people to supervise them for a good 20 minutes.

So please check out shelter pups! There are good dogs in shelters! We see them every weekend and think about them everyday! Their stories touch and break our hearts all at the same time, and we always want to spread the word.

Think about it: If you don't help them, who will? thinking
Ida Roo

What can the- puppy roo for- you today?

Barked: Mon Apr 23, '07 5:16pm PST 
Good advice! Unfortunately I bet a lot of older puppies/young-adult dogs given as Christmas presents are being given to shelters right now (past the cute phase and into the rambunctious phase!), especially since it's also "moving season." Sad, but great opportunities to add a puppy or two to your family.
[notify]
Trixie Bean!

none so blind as- those that will- not see

Barked: Mon Apr 23, '07 5:34pm PST 
thinkingMum wants another dog. She not sure if she will get one, but if she does, its gunna be from a 'shelter' or dogs home as they're called over here. There was this really sweet GSD cross that was about 11 months old. She had been left there coz' her old owner started to work longer hours....frown. If she doesnt find a home soon, mum will get her. dancingI might be getting a lil' sister!
[notify]

Raven

Until there are- none, adopt one!

Barked: Mon Apr 23, '07 7:28pm PST 
I was a shelter puppy! I agree with Jasmine, a shelter is no place for a puppy to grow up and Mom has seen it too many times. That's originally why she took me home- to foster me and socialize me because I was very scared in the shelter. Mom knew that I would have no chance if I stayed there. Thankfully I stole her heart and I'm staying right where I am. My brother and sister were also adopted quickly! cheer

And remember, if you don't see the type of puppy you want right away, wait a week, there's always new dogs coming in!
Tiggles- (CGC, SILIF)- IN LOVING

Give LOVE to get- LOVE-Adopt a- Dog!

Barked: Mon Apr 23, '07 8:07pm PST 
Thanks for posting this Jasmine! way to go Poor Pups..mom wants to adopt one so badly...

I wish every dog could have a home and every home could have a dog.
[notify]
Charlie

wanna give me a- tummy rub?

Barked: Mon Apr 23, '07 10:34pm PST 
As a first-time dog owner, I adopted Charlie from a city shelter last summer when she was about 13 weeks old. I only researched breeds (oops) and not types but it turned out ok for us! I wanted to adopt her 2 brothers as well, but the shelter said as a first-timer, one small pup would already be a lot to handle and they were definitely right. Now that it's puppy season again and I have a bit more experience with puppies, I'm looking to adopt a brother or a sister for Charlie!
[notify]
Ziggy Marley

Mommy's Boy

Barked: Tue Apr 24, '07 8:34am PST 
I personally thougtht about doing that. I only know of 2 human societys that are fairly close to me and when I checked both of them they had a ton of cats and kittens. But when I looked at puppies and dogs they had no puppies and they really didnt have a ton of dogs. Really they had mabie 10-15 between the 2 sites which is pretty good and they were all black lab mixes.
I agree that people need to go to a shelter first to help the pups that are "unwanted or undesired". They can be great dogs. People forget that althought pups are cute they are in all reality just like real babies and toddlers. Some people have real reasons to seek sending their pet to a shelter and well many dont. When I volunteered I would here stupid things like a puppy being brought in because " This one is too "nippy" (at 5months) and I want a different one"
I wonder if minnesota is really that overpopulated with that many unwanted cats or what but there really were not alot of dogs.

great post.
[notify]
Dixie

Please don't- litter- fix your- critter!

Barked: Wed Apr 25, '07 7:45pm PST 
Bump!!
[notify]
Tess

Raw-fed and- loving it!

Barked: Wed Apr 25, '07 7:56pm PST 
We agree wholeheartedly with the OP... puppy season is just heartbreaking. It kills me to see tons of dogs dumped off in shelters (or worse) simply for being dogs! Jumping, nipping, barking, chewing... ALL are doggy behaviors that are perfectly natural and ALL dogs will perform these behaviors to a certain extent. If a dog doesn't get the proper training or treatment from his/her owners, then it's only natural for them to act like dogs! Yet so many puppies are surrendered just because people didn't bother to research, make educated choices, and realistically assess how much time/effort/money they could afford to devote to a dog. A dog is FOR LIFE... and too many people seem to ignore this.
I am currently trying to persuade my fiance to add a pit or pit mix to our household... one from a rescue or shelter who just needs some love and understanding to make a perfect addition to our family. smile (He has nothing against pits, but is dead-set on a Basenji pup from a breeder as our next dog. I love all dogs but pitties tug at my heart because so many go unwanted and overlooked in rescues and shelters. Sorry for the tangent... anyone have any ideas about me talking my man into a pittie rescue?)
[notify]