GO!

Wants to chase cars

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Elliot

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '08 7:51am PST 
Hi, I haven't seen this problem addressed anywhere, but my pug, Elliot, has had a fascination with cars ever since we got him at 8 weeks old. He goes crazy; tries to chase them, "screams," and generally goes insane. I have tried everything; correcting him calmly, correcting him firmly, making him lay down next to the road as cars go by, praising him when he doesn't go after them (when he is tired he will sometimes ignore them). I even got desperate and purchased an electric color... I only had the heart to use it twice, as he got so that he didn't even want to go for a walk. Has anyone else had an issue like this? I honestly don't know what to do; it is a pain to walk him, and it's much easier to just let him go out in our fenced yard. I would appreciate any suggestions anyone has.
[notify]
Bailey

Poo is yummy!

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '08 8:37am PST 
My puggle Bailey sometimes does this as well. I notice it more when a car slowly passes us or when it has been awhile since she has had a nice long walk. She will bark, her hackles stand up, she pulls until she chokes, its so embarassing! Our trainer told us to get her to sit when we see the car from afar, and then just pump her full of treats and tell her "shhhh". I can say I tried that, it didnt work. She just choked on the treats. So, I cannot offer any advice, but hopefully we get another dogster with some tips!
[notify]
parsley

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '08 2:36pm PST 
NO NO NO no eletric colar's please!try a skirty bottle of water in the face it work's i promise with no pain!
[notify]

Elliot

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '08 7:32am PST 
Thank you for this great suggestion!
[notify]
parsley

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '08 2:37pm PST 
Hey you are so funny elliot you got my mum crying with laughter!but really electric collars are painful,we watched a program on it before and we do feel it!
[notify]
Lucas

Lucas

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '08 5:23am PST 
The squirt bottle with water, a firm "aynt" followed by "No" in a firm no nonsense tone and denial of company for a set time "time out" is what was suggested for any kind of misbehavior to us by Lucas's breeder.

The aynt and no together first. Then the squirt bottle and the time out in that order.

Now mind you the actions must be consistant. For some reason the "aynt " kinda sounds like the word ant said back in your throat works on most breeds as a negative re enforcement. I have tried it on other dogs I have came in contact with and their owners permission to try.

I wish you luck with this .
[notify]
Odis V

Barked: Wed Apr 23, '08 2:13pm PST 
I also love to chase cars if my owner would let me, but she puts me on a stupid leash
[notify]