GO!

"Uglies Twice"!?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Cam

Birthday Boy

Barked: Wed Jan 18, '12 6:40pm PST 
I was wondering can Poms get "uglies" twice or is natural shedding?

Cam is losing fur and he look a lot thinner and shorter. He starting to look whispy in some places. I thought I saw some where that Poms can go through the uglies again at 12 months. Cam will be 12 months in Feb.
[notify]
MACH, C-ATCH- Bailey RN,- CGCA

Is today agility- day??

Barked: Thu Jan 19, '12 11:14am PST 
Male poms generally blow coat once per year (usually sometime in the spring, or around their birthday). I've heard some people saying that their poms are starting early this year. This is likely what's going on with him. The strange weather is probably throwing it off a bit.
[notify]
Pidgeon

You can call me- Poof

Barked: Thu Feb 2, '12 11:28pm PST 
Yeah, I heard its also very environmental. Poms that stay indoors most their lives are constant shedders, usually always losing small amounts of fur all year round but the poms that spend a lot of time outside experience the dramatic weather changes and coat and shed accordingly. Thats what I've heard anyway. O_o Also that females will shed during pregnancy. Can't say I've ever heard of the uglies twice though. hmm...
[notify]

Prince

Barked: Sun Feb 5, '12 3:45pm PST 
Recently I read that the males will partly blow their coat again at about 12 months of age, not like the full on uglies they can go through when they are young pups though. Prince is 8 months and is nearly out of his uglies, so I do not have experience of the 2nd 'uglies', it's just something I had read online recently. Previously I had a female Pom and they shed more than the males, this is my first male happy dance
[notify]
Sweeney- (Todd)

The demon- groomer of Fleet- Street

Barked: Mon Feb 13, '12 10:14pm PST 
Male poms generally blow coat once per year (usually sometime in the spring, or around their birthday). I've heard some people saying that their poms are starting early this year. This is likely what's going on with him.

I am actually really, really glad I stumbled on this post because I was about to ask the same question. Sweeney's been shedding, too... and both my mother and I thought it was way too early to be seasonal. But seeing that a lot of Pomeranians are starting early this year puts most of my fears to rest as it definitely does just look like a seasonal blowing of the coat (like what Cinnamon went through twice a year). Thanks for posting this to the OP and for everyone who answered. flowers
[notify]
Cam

Birthday Boy

Barked: Wed Feb 15, '12 1:08pm PST 
Todd you are such a pretty parti. I'm glad I'm not the only one who is experiencing this, but his coat is starting to grow back its looking longer. I guess since winter wasn't that cold this year Poms are going into early season shed.
[notify]