GO!

Is my Pom a flat coat!?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Cam

Birthday Boy

Barked: Sat Nov 19, '11 12:20am PST 
People keep telling me on another site,my Pom is a flat coat, I don't think he is, what do you think? He's in the picture. He's 9 months old. More picture on his profile.
[notify]
Pidgeon

You can call me- Poof

Barked: Sat Nov 19, '11 8:47pm PST 
I can't say I've ever heard of anyone referring to a pom as a 'flat coat' but I have heard of double coat, triple coat [not sure if there is such thing as a triple coat or if its just a breeder marketing ploy] and just long haired. I'd imagine long haired mean's it doesn't have the large poof that you see in show quality poms. As for if any of this is actually valid, no clue. I'd always thought poms had a double coat and nothing else.
[notify]
Sweeney- (Todd)

The demon- groomer of Fleet- Street

Barked: Sat Nov 19, '11 10:33pm PST 
I'm pretty sure (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that "triple coat" is just a marketing ploy. In fact, all the "triple coat" pictures I've seen online are just pet quality Pomeranians. Beautiful dogs, nonetheless, but simply pet quality. I saw one, however, that was a Pomeranian that looked like he had NEVER been groomed, labeled "triple coat". That was a sad sight to see.

I've never heard flat coat used at all. I imagine it's just a term people use to describe pet quality Pomeranians. (As it's noted in the AKC standard that a soft, flat or open coat is a fault) In which case, yeah, I think your pom would be. Nothing wrong with that, though. Both Sweeney and Ninja are and they're great dogs regardless. wink

ETA: All poms do only have a double coat. Even pet quality coats are double coated, they're just flatter, more open, or softer than a show pom.

Edited by author Sat Nov 19, '11 10:37pm PST

[notify]

Cam

Birthday Boy

Barked: Sun Nov 20, '11 8:33am PST 
People says he pet quality because he has a flat coat (what ever that is). I heard that flat coat means that there is not an abundance of undercoat.
[notify]
Skyline

Snow- Queen

Barked: Sun Nov 20, '11 10:24am PST 
Its too early to judge what his coat will be like because hes only 9 months old. And Pomeranian are double coats, theirs no such thing as 'triple coat'. Although his coat quality will depend alot on his genetics. But either way its still too early to tell.
[notify]
Cam

Birthday Boy

Barked: Sun Nov 20, '11 7:42pm PST 
People where saying he was a flat coat at 4-6 months I guess because he had lost a lot of baby fur because of his "uglies".
[notify]