GO!

Worried About The Cold

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Mr. Beef

Connoisseur of- all Meats

Barked: Tue Dec 8, '09 2:01pm PST 
Beef is only about 4 months now and is in full uglies. We live in Pennsylvania and we just got a snow storm. He's discovered that he loves the snow, but I am worried he is too young and doesn't have enough coat yet to be outside for very long. I only let him out for short periods of time because I'm afraid he'll freeze, but all he ever wants to do is go back out. Should I be worried or is it ok to let him outside for a while? What should I look out for as signs that he's too cold?
[notify]
The Boys

The Three- Stooges.

Barked: Wed Dec 9, '09 9:45pm PST 
I had the same worry with Angus last year. He had an allergy and lost a lot of hair on his chest just in time for winter. I tried to put a sweater on him but he hated it. He seemed to do just fine and it was really cold here last year. The only time he decided it was to cold was when it got into the double digits below zero.
[notify]
Gizmo

Barked: Thu Dec 10, '09 10:52am PST 
I would love to hear any advice I can on this topic. The wind chill here is putting it -18 degrees right now. My puppy has no interest in sniffing to go poop, he just sits on the deck and shivers. I put a sweatshirt on him as well as paw protectors and still nothing. Do you think his potty training pads would be a good idea right now? Or would that just confuse him?
[notify]

Bodhi

Bodhi Wodhi

Barked: Thu Dec 10, '09 11:42am PST 
Mr. Beef, I wouldn't worry too much. He should let you know when he's cold. As long as he has enough time to get out there and do his business, then I wouldn't worry. Bodhi loves the snow and rolls around in it. I've only seen him cold once and that was on his paws. He actually was yelping to get back in, poor baby. It gets really cold here in upstate NY, and he's been fine.

Gizmo, I would go out with him, coax him to the ground, walk with him for support. He's still a baby and learning what everything is. He might be cold, so the sweater is fine, but I would make his butt get out there! The pads would only confuse as they did for me. I will never use pads again! lol As long as you bundle him up, he will be fine. Just give him some confidence.smile
[notify]
MACH, C-ATCH- Bailey RN,- CGCA

Is today agility- day??

Barked: Sat Dec 12, '09 4:44pm PST 
He should be fine to go potty. For longer periods outside bundle him up if he gets cold. I have a winter coat for Saige (7 months) since she shivers if we're out too long, but I don't remember having that problem with Bailey at all last winter (aside from the time that we had below zero temps).
[notify]
Twizzler

~Be Wild & Free~

Barked: Sat Dec 12, '09 9:31pm PST 
He should be fine as long as your not leaving him out for really long periods of time. You should be able to tell when he is getting cold. Twizz will start shaking. They have boots and coats that you can buy that would probably make you feel better and help keep him warmer!
blue dog

Stay warm & Don't get to cold out there! big grin
[notify]
Gizmo

Barked: Mon Dec 14, '09 9:43am PST 
My pup has the paw protectors and a jacket but it still takes a lot of coaxing when its that cold. When it is 30 degrees or so he will play all day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcXu91dkiJA

He is such a cutie smile
[notify]
Mr. Beef

Barked: Tue Dec 22, '09 11:47am PST 
Thanks for the help. I was so worried he was going to get too cold outside. It's reassuring knowing other poms out there are fine out in the cold weather. We had another snow storm this past weekend. I put a nice warm sweater on him and let him play all he wanted, which he loved. He just bounces along, biting at the snow as he goes. He came in shivering the one time, but I wrapped him up in a blanket and he warmed up right away.
[notify]
Roxy

Foxy Lady

Barked: Wed Dec 23, '09 8:44pm PST 
Mr. Beef, where in PA are you? I'm also in PA smile
[notify]
Mr. Beef

Barked: Sun Dec 27, '09 1:21pm PST 
I live near Pottstown. How about you?
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)