GO!

Will my ears ever stand up?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Brodie

Sophie's Boy

Barked: Tue Nov 24, '09 9:30pm PST 
Hi there everyone, my name is Brodie. I am Sophie's son. For some odd reason I have big, floppy ears!! Both my parents have erect ears, and all my siblings do as well. It did take one of my sisters till 9 weeks for her ears to 'pop' up but my ears don't seem to even be trying to pop up frown I'm also 'bigger' too....but that's probably because my mama is a big pom. She weighs 13 lbs. My human mommy says I'm adorable just the way I am, and she said it doesn't matter if my ears never stand up...but I just want to have straight pom ears like everyone else!!

Will my ears ever stand up?? When I tilt my head back they stick up....look on my profile for a picture.
[notify]
Bodhi

Bodhi Wodhi

Barked: Wed Nov 25, '09 5:20am PST 
While they do look very floppy, I'm inclined to say that they will stand up. Only time will tell... None the less, he is a cutie smile
[notify]
Brodie

Sophie's Boy

Barked: Wed Nov 25, '09 10:31am PST 
Isn't he?? He is SOO adorable! But both hhis parents and all his siblings have stick straight ears so it made me wonder. When he tilts his head back to look up at me they stand up but when he looks down they flop over. I'm wondering if i'm going to have a floppy eared Pom forever. I wouldn't mind it laugh out loud

Edited by author Wed Nov 25, '09 10:32am PST

[notify]

Skyline

Snow- Queen

Barked: Wed Nov 25, '09 11:14am PST 
I just realized your Pomeranian is too young for teething yet and reread that his haven't come up at all. I'm wondering if maybe its because hes larger its taking a bit longer for the cartilage to strengthen in his ears? I'm not very familiar with floppy ears outside of teething time smile

*edited again for spelling lol*

Edited by author Wed Nov 25, '09 11:28am PST

[notify]
Brodie

Sophie's Boy

Barked: Wed Nov 25, '09 11:21am PST 
I actually read that as well, but his ears have never stood up so I don't know if it has to do with his teething or he just naturally has big floppy earslaugh out loud
[notify]
Skyline

Snow- Queen

Barked: Wed Nov 25, '09 11:24am PST 
Ya sorry Brodie, I didn't check his age first and misread what you wrote, its been a long day for me already! lol . I just re-edited my thoughts on it as you were posting smile

Edited by author Wed Nov 25, '09 11:29am PST

[notify]
Brodie

Sophie's Boy

Barked: Wed Nov 25, '09 11:31am PST 
His parents both has stick straight ears. Max is 6 lbs and has tiny triangle ears. Sophie is 13 lbs and has big ears but they've always been stick straight since we got her. She was 11 and a half weeks when we got her though. Brodie's Sister Piper always had stick straight ears, but his other sister Jazz didn't get straight ears till almost 9 weeks. Wayne has tiny straight ears and got them between 7 and 8 weeks. But all of them except Piper started out with flopy ears.

When Brodie puts his ears back, he has complete control, and you can see he's trying to get them up when his ears would 'normally' go up when he's surprised etc. They just kind of flop over in the dead middle laugh out loud Not that he isn't WAY adorable, the little stinker has a firm grip on both my heart AND my hubby'swink

But it just made me wonder. Poms are suppose to have erect, foxlike ears. He is a pom, no doubt about it, but his floppy ears somewhat take away that pom like look. He's still gorgeous though! I love how he has cream colored cheeks! I wonder if he'll lighten up into a cream like his daddy
[notify]
Skyline

Snow- Queen

Barked: Wed Nov 25, '09 12:34pm PST 
Its too bad there is such limited information online about Pomeranian's being born with folded ears. Have you asked your vet about it? Maybe try contacting a Pomeranian Breeder to see if they know anything about it? Sorry I can't help, I've never owned or seen a Pomeranian born with folded ears before thinking

ETA, I tried another search and all I get are people saying that happened to their Pomeranian and they eventually went up on their own after a while.

Edited by author Wed Nov 25, '09 12:36pm PST

[notify]
Bailey- Fluffernut

Don't Panic. And- eat a towel.

Barked: Wed Nov 25, '09 12:42pm PST 
He's adorable! They'll probably come up eventually.

Bailey's ears were floppy for about one day, and I wish it had lasted longer, because it was so cute!

cheer
[notify]
Brodie

Sophie's Boy

Barked: Wed Nov 25, '09 10:17pm PST 
I actually asked the vet about it today. I called to bug them about getting Sophie in for her spay sooner and it worked. Her appt is December 17th smile

The vet says as long as Brodie's ears are not inflamed, or infected in any way then he should be fine. He said give it a week or two and they should be standing up. Brodie's ear's are VERY clean and they have no redness at all, so our vet is not concerned. He says it will probably pass eventually and they're just floppy because they're so big. I did notice that they're starting to 'try' to stand up. If he tilts his head back just a bit the left one stands right up, but once he looks down it flops over again laugh out loud It's really cute though, so I bet once his ears are up I'll be wishing they were still floppy! BOL!!!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2