GO!

Pomeranian thinning hair issue

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Harry

I'm pretty...and- I'm SOOOOOO- EXCITED!

Barked: Sun Jun 8, '08 3:12pm PST 
Hi everybody,

My name is Merideth and this is my first post on this wonderful Pom forum. I have a 3 year old Pomeranian named Harry and I am getting a little worried about him. I recently got married, so Harry and I moved to the Florida gulf coast to be with my husband. Recently I noticed that Harry's fur has been getting much thinner than usual. He even has some bald spots. I don't think that it is that black skin problem that I have read about, because the skin exposed by the few bald spots is still white and soft. I am hoping that it is just the change in climate that has Harry thinning more than usual, but I wanted to see if anyone has experienced anything like this in warmer climates. The only other thing I can think of is that my husband has a 5 1/2 month old black lab puppy that has stressed him out a little bit. Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks!

Merideth
[notify]
~Sophie~

I also answer to- 'Pretty Girl'

Barked: Tue Jun 10, '08 12:05pm PST 
Hi! wave I'm afraid I don't know the answer...it seems like it could be weather related. Just wanted to suggest posting this in the Dog Health forum. Lots more people read that one and you'll get more ideas. way to go
[notify]
Terry

Barked: Sun Jul 6, '08 8:07pm PST 
Poms go through seasonal shedding. girls go through shedding during hormonal changes (i.e. pregnant, or in heat).. boys shed about once a year (some poms shed more than others -as they lose their undercoat)

i also heard that stress can cause dogs to lose fur. so i'm thinking it may be that.. i would also check to see if he has any internal parasites, fleas etc. as these can cause him/her to lose fur.

i wouldnt be too worried and i'd just wait out to see if his fur grows back..

hope this helps
[notify]

Snowfoot Cricket

Chipmunks fear- me!

Barked: Thu Jul 10, '08 10:55am PST 
I have a condition called alopecia x- most of my beautiful Pommy fur is gone from my shoulders back to my butt except for some longer guard hairs. There is no underlying cause, it appears to be genetic. I've heard of a few remedies, like melatonin, but so far that hasn't worked. Any thoughts out there?
[notify]
Bradley

eat, sleep and- play! carpe- diem! :)

Barked: Wed Jul 30, '08 10:17am PST 
it could be fungus its definitely not alopecia x based on the symptoms, alopecia x usually starts at the hind legs and works it way up, have your vet have a skin biopsy so he could prescribe medicine for quicker recovery.
[notify]
Harry

I'm pretty...and- I'm SOOOOOO- EXCITED!

Barked: Sun Sep 21, '08 9:42pm PST 
I just wanted to update everyone on Harry's condition. His vet says that his flakey skin and thinning hair were probably caused by a bacteria, and after a round of antibiotics his hair is starting to grow back. In an interesting turn, Harry's skin has turned black. I know this usually means Alopecia X, but since his hair is coming back in I'm not to sure what to think. I have taken him back to the vet to get it looked at, and he has been on Melatonin twice a day for 3 days now. Fingers crossed that Harry gets back to being the beautiful little furball he has always been.

Wish us luck!
[notify]