GO!

Teething or naughty?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

MERLIN

I'm in charge

Barked: Sun Dec 27, '09 1:15pm PST 
We just got our 2nd corgi 4 weeks ago after our beloved Elvis passed on 4 years ago. Our new addition, Merlin, is very lovable but he loves to nip, bit and grab your pants and shoes. He is also a barker. These are all new traits for me as our first corgi was very calm, rarely barked and I don't recall the teething days! Can anyone offer any advice?
[notify]
Darby

I love to- FRAP

Barked: Sun Jan 10, '10 12:59pm PST 
wave Hi Merlin,

I've had only two Corgi's and both have been chewers and barkers. Kirby, our first Corgi chewed up the carpet and some furniture before we decided he needed something to occupy him to keep him out of trouble. He loved fetching anything and we gave him lots of toys he could chew on. He had a kong that he loved to play with and chew on. We also crate trained him and until he got older, had him stay in a crate when no one was at home. That helps keep them out of trouble!!
By the time we got Darby, we were a bit smarter and crate trained him right away and gave him lots of chew toys. He did have a bad habit of biting when he was a puppy, but learned not to do that by us telling him "No Bite" and rewarding him with a treat when he responded by not biting. He does have a habit of grabbing my pant legs when he's excited to go for a walk. I don't have much advice about barking! He only barks when someone comes to the house and we don't mind that. Both Corgi's liked to bark when they got excited.
Sorry that was so long, i hope it helped some. Maybe some others with more experience can offer more advice! big grin
[notify]
Misty and- Dixie

Food, walks and- greeting people!

Barked: Sun Jan 17, '10 1:41pm PST 
wave

The best advice is to go to Cesar Millan's website-http://www.cesarsway.com/ - and grab the info you need to train those habits out of your puppy.
Corgis can be nippers bec they herd but that does not mean they should bite. My Corgi will lightly nip my heels or kiss my toes but that is as far as it goes. I also have a book on Corgis that was helpful. The are very smart and are easy to train. They are a delightful breed. Misty is my second Corgi. My first, Amber, passed away a few years ago, the smartest dog I ever had. She could read my mind!
Hope this helps..Karen
[notify]

Hamlet

Barked: Sun Feb 14, '10 4:05pm PST 
Hamlet is our 5 month old corgi. When we first got him he didn't bark much but it seams like the more comfortable he is with us the louder he gets. I have read that one of the main reasons Corgi's end up in shelters is barking. I don't mind it but I do try to keep it under control. As far as the nipping, hamlet will sometime tug on our pants as we are walking if he wants to stop and go the other direction, otherwise thats not much of a problem.
[notify]