GO!

How long 'till your Corgi was potty trained {house trained}?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Abby

No tugs, just- hugs!

Barked: Fri Jan 2, '09 9:18am PST 
I am just starting out, but I'd like an estimate for how long this house training will take. If you can just post your methods / age at which they became reliably house trained {Like you can let them roam the house on their own} it would be appreciated. way to go
[notify]
Darby

I love to- FRAP

Barked: Wed Jan 7, '09 8:59am PST 
wave Abby

Every dog is different in how quickly they become potty trained! I can't remember exactly how long it took Darby! I used crate training as my method of potty training and it worked very well! I used lots of rewards! Just be patient and be consistent!

Hope that helped! wave
[notify]
Gryffin

Mr. Gryffy

Barked: Fri Feb 6, '09 9:43am PST 
Darby is right. With my sister it took about 2 monthes or so. With me it took only a few weeks. All I have to say is if you see your dog take her out immediately or else she won't get it.
[notify]

Ein,- Einstein

OMG your tall!!!

Barked: Sun Sep 6, '09 2:57am PST 
it took a few weeks for Ein to get it but his owner gave up on him being potty trained and gave him to me. I took him out constantly, everytime he looked sidways. it helped to have our family's older dog there to show him the ropes too.
[notify]
Tegan

a playful- worrier (really- he worries!)

Barked: Wed Sep 16, '09 5:21pm PST 
Tegan learned fast. He was crate trained, which I think is the best way to go... personally. He has the temperament of a corgi who ALWAYS is looking to please though, so he loved the attention and kisses he got when he went potty outside. I think it took him about a month before he wasn't messing in the house at all!
[notify]
Lilli

Gotta catch that- bird!!

Barked: Tue Sep 22, '09 9:44pm PST 
I just took her out to potty often, and ALWAYS right before I went to bed. Yes there were accidents but I would use paper towel to clean it up and instead of throwing it away I would toss the droppings out where I wanted her to potty to continually encourage her to go outside. Dogs prefer to potty outside, it's their instinct, all we have to do is help that along =P
Lilli learned quickly and now there are no accidents. =D
[notify]
Sandy Baby- ♥

I may look- little, but I'm- ALL dog!

Barked: Tue Sep 29, '09 12:58pm PST 
It took about a month to paper train Sandy. The people that gave her to us said she was house trained and that she'd cry if she had to go outside. It became obvious that they lied. We figured it might've been that she was at a new place, but when the days turned to weeks, she still wasn't showing signs that she was house trained or learning to be. She figured out how to use the paper after a while via my mom. Still upset about that. I would rather her be house trained.
[notify]
Izi

Our little tank

Barked: Sat Jan 1, '11 1:38pm PST 
Every dog is different. Izi is primarily litter trained (meaning she uses a litter box in the house). Her breeder had started her out going in a litter box and we continued that and we've only had 1 accident in her almost 2 years with us. She consistently goes in it with no problems. Now when we decided we needed to also train her to potty outdoors as we were traveling 1000 miles back home to visit family...that was another story. That took a good 2 months to get her to go outside. I think it was made more difficult by the fact that we live in the desert and she prefers grass to potty on. To this day she won't potty on the rocks, but if you get her on grass she'll go without a second thought.
[notify]
Misty and- Dixie

Food, walks and- greeting people!

Barked: Fri Feb 11, '11 6:31am PST 
As I recall, it took about two months. She loved to roam around until she found the 'right' spot. We have a 'tinkle' area off our deck and a doggie door so I kept taking her down there until she 'got it'. They are very intelligent dogs and like to learn.
She may tinkle in the house upon rare occasions which means she is not feeling well. A good thing, actually, bec that alerts me. dog
[notify]