GO!

Long-legged Corgi Mix??

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Kiya

100% Spoiled- Rotten

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '07 8:11pm PST 
We recently adopted Kiya, bringing her into our home in October. She is the sweetest little Corgi-Chihuahua mix, however we have had so many people question the Corgi portion since she does not have the classic 'vertically challenged' legs and outward pointing toes.

The rescue kennel we adopted her from was very sure that she was part Corgi - they claim mom was a pure bred that got out by accident and had fun with the neighbor's Chihuahua and the owner of the Corgi didn't want the litter. Kiya was the only female in the litter, and her foster mom said that all of her brother's had the classic stumpy legs and duck-toed paws. (They were all adopted out before Kiya)

Kiya sure looked like a freak of nature with her long spindly legs at a recent Corgi gathering at a dog park close by. There were many Corgi mixes present, but Kiya was the only one with the long legs. This is where we had received the brunt of skepticism about her "Corgi'ness"

She has other classic features, such as the ears, face shape, longer body, etc. Our vet is pretty confident that she is part Corgi because of these features. She also exhibits behavioral characteristics of Corgis, including the insatiable need to herd my children, nipping at their heals as she pushes them into various rooms or back up onto the couch. It is quite comical really!

So does Kiya appear to be part Corgi? WDYT??? I thought there is no better place to ask than in the forum for Corgis

Thanks in advance for any ideas, suggestions, and such!
[notify]
Queenie- Gismo

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '07 11:03am PST 
She doesn't look like it but if the mom was then she has to be rightlaugh out loud

We just fostered a litter of pups whose mom is a dobe shepherd mix-four of the pups were white with some brown spots and you never would have suspected they came from their mom. Genetics can do odd things. I have heard the short leg is dominant in corgi mixes but odd things happenbig grin

Edited by author Tue Dec 11, '07 11:03am PST

[notify]
Batty

Arf!

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '07 12:37pm PST 
I am a Corgi and Jack Russell mix. I don't have short legs, either!
[notify]

Lucyy!?!!- =]]

So much cooler- than yerr mom :]

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '07 1:50pm PST 
Well she could have gotten more of the chi traits then corgi. But I dunno big laugh
[notify]
Oski

Oski the Corgi

Barked: Sat Dec 15, '07 2:33pm PST 
she doesnt look very corgish to me but who knows
[notify]
Akamaru

Aka, weasle- herder!

Barked: Wed Dec 19, '07 4:50am PST 
I agree with your vet that she does have some corgi traits. The length of her body is very corgi. The angle of her front shoulders are corgi. The shape of her upper head and the width of her tail are corgi. Her lower lip has that thick black border like a corgi. Considering the other half of the mix is Chi, while she has longer legs, she has corgi hocks.
[notify]
Ein

My Daddy is a- Soldier!

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '08 1:17am PST 
Ein's little brother is a corgi/dachshund mix. You'd think he'd have the stubby legs too. Nope...not at all. His legs are perfectly proportioned to his body. Meaning that proportional wise to his body, his legs would be longer then Ein's.

In fact , the only corgi trait he got was the ears. But if you pull those down he looks 100% dachshund!
[notify]
Tennessee

I'm a blessing.

Barked: Sun Jan 27, '08 4:00pm PST 
My legs were short when I was a baby. But they kept growing and growing...

I put some pics of my Mom on my page. She definitely looks like a corgi mix. But I kind of look like a rat terrier with the coloring of a GSD. I dont know what I am, but I sure am smart!
[notify]
Brodie

Barked: Tue Sep 9, '08 3:49am PST 
My vet offers a blood test that determines the breed, or mix of breeds, dogs. I believe it costs $30. The blood samples are sent to an off site lab. If you're still interested in determining the heritage of Kira, maybe vets in your area offer this same test.

Our dog, Brodie, was "supposed" to be a tri-colored Pembroke Welsh Corgi. He looked like a Corgi at first, but now that his legs are about 8" long, we wonder. We haven't done the blood test - but might some day.
[notify]
Sandy Baby- ♥

I may look- little, but I'm- ALL dog!

Barked: Wed Sep 10, '08 11:54am PST 
If a chihuahua and a corgi bred, chances are at least ONE of those puppies is gonna have long legs. you were probably that one.

I've seen chihuahua mixes that were as big as my Lilo. (35 lbs) I've seen pit bull mixes as small as Sandy. (10 lbs) I've seen sheltie mixes with slim to none fur. And, Sandy is a doxie/corgi/pom mix with pom legs. Because, she does have that trait there.

I wouldn't judge what breed the dog has based on his legs. There are other traits they get from the breeds bred into them, right?

In a litter of pug/yorkie mutts, not all puppies are gonna have a pug face. Just as not all puppies will have the yorkie coloring.

I just noticed how old this is. big laugh

Edited by author Wed Sep 10, '08 11:57am PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2