GO!

Does Your Corgi Swim?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Griff

Too Smart for My- Own Good

Barked: Fri May 11, '07 6:49am PST 
I always knew that that my 1-year-old Pem absolutely adored water (mainly giant mud puddles), but I recently discovered that he loves swimming, too! I watched in amazement as he ventured off from the shore of a pond to where his paws didn't touch the ground, and quite literally started dog paddling around. He did this all afternoon, and would have continued had we not called him inside. I guess I expected him to be afraid of deep water with his short little legs, but I was wrong!

Does your Corgi like swimming? Or love water, too? I'm curious to know if this is a breed trait or if I simply have a dog who's a reincarnated fish!
[notify]
Queenie- Gismo

Barked: Fri May 11, '07 9:55am PST 
She didn't at firstlaugh out loud

A couple years ago I took her almost every day because she was a chunky butt and it was the only way I knew to work it off of her. Now that I know more about food shes fine but still swims when I take her.

She's kinda picky about it though-she won't go in the lake,only in the creeks and maybe a pond if all the other dogs are in itthinking
[notify]
Ein

Ahhh, the Tale- of my Tail!

Barked: Sat May 12, '07 12:57pm PST 
Ein loves swimming, but only in water about two feet deep. Our dog park has a fountain for the dogs to play in; it goes from two inches to about three feet deep and Ein never swims past the middle part. She just swims circles around and around. LOL!

She likes her little pools -- wading pools and such. Last weekend we were at an agility seminar and it was so hot (like 95 billion degrees), that they got a great big tupperware and filled it with ice water. When Ein started acting up, the trainers had me put her in there, figuring she was stressing from the heat. She was startle for a second, but when the trainer said to let her out, she wouldn't come out! It was just big enough for her to swim a complete circle and just deep enough to get her paws off the bottom.

My crazy Corgi!! While every other dog was fighting to NOT go in the "pool", they had to cover it whenever she was working, because she'd head from the other side of the course in a beeline for it -- and do belly flops, splashing everyone with ice water!! LOL!laugh out loud
[notify]

Tucker, CGC,- NA, NAJ

Running with the- Big Dogs!

Barked: Thu Jun 21, '07 12:17pm PST 
Tucker (Pem) loves to swim. We live on a lake so he has plenty of opportunity. When he has doggie buddies over to swim, I make them wear life jackets, they tire less quickly.

Lulu (Cardigan) so far is not thrilled not being able to touch bottom. She loves the creek and will wade into the lake but so far will only swimm a little bit then out of the water.
[notify]
Miyu

I love stinky- spots!

Barked: Thu Jun 21, '07 5:00pm PST 
I haven't tried swimming yet, but look at this: http://cute.tv/2007/06/19/brown-eyed-girl/
smile miyu
[notify]
Ein

Born to run and- play

Barked: Sat Jul 7, '07 9:53pm PST 
Ein loves to bite at the water, but doesn't like to swim. I guess I have a weird Pem. corgi!!!
[notify]
Tucker, CGC,- NA, NAJ

Running with the- Big Dogs!

Barked: Tue Jul 31, '07 10:23am PST 
Ein isn't alone. Tucker loves it when I splash at him. He loves to bite at the water. He does this with the hose too.
[notify]
Winnie

Anything you can- do I can do- cuter!

Barked: Wed Aug 1, '07 10:09pm PST 
Winnie loves biting at the hose too. When we spray the yard she runs around barking and chasing the evil "snake" laugh out loud
[notify]
Bernice- "Bernie" - Brisen CGC

Cute Corgi- Attack!

Barked: Tue Aug 7, '07 1:40pm PST 

Bernie loves swimming and I'm lucky to have a dog beach 30 minutes away that she can run and swim at. I am considering getting her a life vest though since she seems like she can't quite keep her head up sometimes. She is a quick swimmer and I have to call her back to shore sometimes when I think she's going out too far.

I don't let her swim in the ponds and lakes near my townhome, since we have an alligator problem here. She loves to chill out in the baby pool and water hose on the patio though.
[notify]
Cindel

sneak attack

Barked: Wed Aug 8, '07 11:46am PST 
OMD! wicket doesnt really like swimming but he will do it. We took cindell to the lake for the first tiem this wekeend. I was so nervous for her b/c she so young and little but man was i wrong. she dove in and just started swimming all over. we had to drag her out of the h2o she loved it so much. i wa so proud and impressed.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4