GO!

Corgis are not kid friendly?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 5 of 5: Viewing entries 41 to 46)  
1  2  3  4  5  
LuLu

"You talking to- me???"

Barked: Wed Sep 23, '09 2:04pm PST 
I am a first time corgi owner and thank goodness we don't have any small children living at my house becuase Lulu does not like small children. We got her when she was already 4 months so I don't know if something happened to her before we got her or if she's just tramatized from one not so pleasant incident she had with a child shortly after we got her.

My dad had invited one of his work buddies and his family to go camping with us. Their son was a autistic and wouldn't leave Lulu alone and she's never liked kids since then.

She's gotten better at not growling and shying away from them as soon as she sees them but I still get a little nervous when children come near when we're out on walks.
[notify]
Ein

FOOD!!!

Barked: Fri Dec 18, '09 12:18pm PST 
I wonder how many corgis named Ein there are in the world? Our Ein is fine around kids - the only problem I could see is if they had food in their hands, then he would probably bite their hands off to get the food. He doesn't seem to have a strong herding instinct, although he will "go get" Maggie, our Plott hound, when she is barking and I want her in the house. Of course, he gets a treat if he does this, so he does have a pretty strong incentive to herd at that time. I know of another family with two small children and a corgi, and again there are no problems. My niece has three young children and an Australian cattle dog. That damn dog always nips at everybody's heels - everybody but the kids, with whom she's very gentle.I guess it depends on the family and the individual dog.
[notify]
Izi

Our little tank

Barked: Sat Jan 1, '11 1:35pm PST 
I know that my Corgi loves loves loves children. If there's a room full of adults and children, she goes for the kids first. I've been around a few other Corgis and they seemed to be kid friendly as well.
[notify]

Finley

Love Bug

Barked: Thu Jan 13, '11 4:54am PST 
I think when they say that Corgis are not kid friendly, it has to do with the herding instinct. My corgi will "nip" at me to get my attention especially when I have been gone a couple of days. I can see a new corgi owner getting upset with this corgi behavior. They will interpret it as "biting". The nipping can pinch and a child may not understand why the dog is doing this. So, I have to agree, the behavior of nipping is not kid friendly. The dogs are friendly and adorable but do you want a dog that "nips" as part of its' herding behavior????
[notify]
Izi

Our little tank

Barked: Wed Jan 19, '11 9:12am PST 
Yes nipping is a Corgi behavior. They are herders and that's how they herd. With that being said, I have to say that they can be trained not to nip.

When we first got Izi she was huge on trying to herd me by nipping. After a few weeks of training though, she stopped and hasn't done it since. We have friends with children who come over and play with her and she's never nipped at them.

IMO, these are not "furniture dogs." They require attention and training and when done correctly, they are great family pets.

Edited by author Wed Jan 19, '11 9:14am PST

[notify]
Jinjo- *Stumpy of- the Wild*

Guess what I ate- today? {and it- was good

Barked: Tue Feb 8, '11 5:04pm PST 
I have one male Pem who has always loved children! Collage boys...bugger off (blame my bro, okay he isn't that bad, but he likes to play dominate/rough-house games with big boys, lol).

I would not recomend a Corgi puppy to a family with very young children (up to about 5-6 depending on their maturity) or one that is adding to the family very soon. Corgwn are "disruptive" dogs, so sensitive children can be bothered by them. When we had a neighbors little one over around about 5 or so years old, he held back behind his fathers leg because Jin was being a bit noisy and bouncy. On the other hand, another boistrus 5 year old neighbor kid was fasinated by Jinj tossing out treats for tricks laughing all the way. Corgwn do also like to play herding games, although they aren't as intense as some of the other herding breeds, they are LOUD! Jinj likes to play these games with me, I kick a ball and he bounces around behind me barking as End leaps to block the jolly ball.

I would prefer and suggest to the family that really wants a Corgwn but has younger children or are thinking thye might want to add people members later, look at a "show breeder" for retired or wash out stock, most usually can't keep every dog that isn't working out in their program (if they did, their program would go no where). These dogs usually are already mature, leash/potty/house/manners/kennel/etc broke and know quite a bit of basic obedience if not the whole shabang.

Not every dog "fits the mold" even with a supposed "predictable purebred", it is truly up to the person looking to buy to make sure they not only look at breeds sutable for their life style, but find a breeder who can confim this and place just the right dog/puppy in their home. The breeder I aquired Jinjo from had several children, a couple under their teens at the time too, and she had even had/bred Pems longer than them. She even had birds at Corgi hight, and not a flinch out of them, Jinj has always been great with our conure, Mo on the other hand has been quite the abusive bird to dogs.

And as far as "their" rank on energy, bull. These dogs couldn't be expected to climb mount everest like most Border collies I know, but they can go for a jog every morning, and still need you to give them a Kong during the day, then take them back out for some squirrel hunting in the evening. Sad part is, if you believe the low energy bit, you could end up with a fat and angry dog, this breed doesn't just need but requires a good 45mins of exercise a day to keep a good figure!
[notify]
  (Page 5 of 5: Viewing entries 41 to 46)  
1  2  3  4  5