GO!

Corgis are not kid friendly?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Ein

My Daddy is a- Soldier!

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '07 11:42am PST 
I have a corgi now (my first), Ein. Sometimes for fun I will take online quizzes and the other day I took a breed selector quiz to see if my heart breed matched me.

One of the questions asked if I wanted a child friendly dog or if I was thinking of having a child with in my dogs lifetime, to which I said yes. I'm getting married next year and both me and my fiance want at least one child.

Well the Corgi was elminated as one of my breed choices because (and I quote the site here) "They have issues with small children and are not the breed to have if you plan on having them around kids often." Just to show you how silly this is, they also said I wouldn't be good with a Corgi because I have an active lifestyle and the corgi wouldn't do well with the activity. eek

I didn't find this true. Ein LOVES children. He perfers children to adults most of the time (I'm the only adult he perfers over children). My fiance has a 7 year old brother and we live near his parents, and Ein just adores this kid. When sitting, he's just a little taller then his waist and will actually lean against him and just let him hug him and pet him. He always has, even since he was just a puppy!

And he's SO good with children. If we go out he'll jump on adults for attention, but he won't with children. He'll snuggle right up to them and let them pet him all over and hug him. He even tolerates when they tug on his big ears! BOL!

So I'd like to hear the input from other corgi owners. Are your little corgis good with children? It just shocks me that this breed has gotten such a bad rep with children!! I have been to some corgi events and have always seen the kids playing with them with no problems.

Do you believe this statement or do you think its all hogwash too?

Edited by author Mon Mar 12, '07 11:43am PST

[notify]
Daisy

The little- digger

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '07 2:40pm PST 
I am a first time corgi owner too. I have two 10 month old corgi girls. I was really worried about introducing them to my 2 yr. old neice. They are a little spastic around her 8 yr. old brother. But I have to say they are amazing with my niece and so gentle. If she walks up to them my immediatly roll over belly up for her. They have learned she love to rub their tummies. Now, they do play a little tough with me but seem to know when not to be rough with kids.
[notify]
Bernice- "Bernie" - Brisen CGC

Cute Corgi- Attack!

Barked: Thu Mar 15, '07 6:31pm PST 
My six month old corgi is good with kids so far, she just tries to jump on them and I have to step on her leash to keep her from doing it. We're working on the jumping thing.

But after that she lays flat on the ground and lets kids pet her, she'll lick their hands.

Thats absolutely nuts the quiz eliminated them for activities too. They're an active breed!

I think the herding instinct is what the quiz might be talking about regarding children. They do love to herd and might nip at small children trying to herd them. But I think its up to the owner to train them to not do that to anyone, regardless of size.
[notify]

Queenie- Gismo

Barked: Sat Mar 17, '07 11:47pm PST 
It really depends on how they are brought up but I don't recomend them to people with smaller kids. But then again I don't reccomend any herding breed to people with younger kids.

My girl can put up with kids but she by no means likes them. she does not like the poking and pulling kids will do when they are young(I mean like under five or so). the labs I grew up with on the other hand put up with anything.

And I always see the corgis at the agility events jumping up and triyng to nip as the kids run by. thats my biggest worry. they jsut get to excited and I worry about it to much to reccomend them. Of course if the little kids would sit still they'd be finelaugh out loud

Edited by author Sat Mar 17, '07 11:55pm PST

[notify]
Lola CGC, TD

i'm kind of cute

Barked: Mon Mar 19, '07 5:52am PST 
Kids?! Where?! Gotta run jump and playyyy!!

I don't believe half of what they say bout us.. bol!!
[notify]
Ein

Ahhh, the Tale- of my Tail!

Barked: Fri Mar 23, '07 12:11am PST 
I agree with Queenie that the quiz folks were probably talking about the herding instinct being a problem. My Ein loves to herd my high school kids -- and if they squeal or shriek like little kids would, she chases them that much harder. Me, I figure most of my students could benefit from a little extra PE! BOL

Einie is very good with kids, which is amazing since we don't have any and we pretty much just see the neighbor's toddler once in a while, or meet up with little ones in the park. For a long time, it was like she didn't know what these miniature adults were, but she usually just holds stock still and lets them do whatever they want to her.

I have a story though! I had her in my classroom one day (don't tell!) and a group of students with severe Downs' Syndrome came in. Einie was hanging out in her crate because the high school kids were just too much for her. When these boys came in though, she came out and very gently went up to each boy for cuddles and to be patted. I've noticed her do this a few times now -- whenever we see someone who is mentally disabled, it's like she goes out of her way to be extra loving (this from the dog who rarely lets strangers within arm's length.) laugh out loud

Edited by author Fri Mar 23, '07 12:11am PST

[notify]
Lucyy!?!!- =]]

So much cooler- than yerr mom :]

Barked: Fri Mar 23, '07 3:18pm PST 
I also am I first time Corgi owner. I have not heard that they are not kids friendly. Actually I heard they were great with kids
[notify]
Prince

Hey, what's that- smell?!?

Barked: Sun Mar 25, '07 12:42am PST 
I'm a first time Corgi owner, too. But my dog LOVES people in general and ESPECIALLY kids. The smaller the kid is the more gentle and patient he seems to be. I say Dogswash to those quiz people!! BOL!!
[notify]
Picnic

Pamper me!

Barked: Sun Mar 25, '07 1:21pm PST 
In my experience, Picnic doesn't mind kids. He's very, very gentle with them...he's never snapped at and never jumped on a kid. Adults? He'll definitely get jumpy...So that's one thing that always shocks me. Still, at one dog park we've frequented, if the kids there start to chase him, it's clear that he's a little freaked out and that this is not a fun activity for him. He's never become aggressive about it, but it's clear that he prefers being petted over a chase game with little kids.

Daisy Mae was rescued from a household that had a two year old, and from what I saw of her around the two year old, she was very nervous...but the thing that I noticed was that the two year old was allowed free rein around Daisy Mae...he could hit her, he could jump at her...and this isn't the sort of thing I could imagine any dog would like. And to Daisy Mae's credit...she NEVER, NEVER snarled at him, and she tends to be snarly when she's nervous.

The reason I've heard corgies are classified as being not ideal dogs around youngsters is that they tend to be herdy, and if you have a household with young children, you don't necessarily want a dog that's going to nip at their heels. I'm not sure this is applicable, as I don't have children, but I've definitely heard this is a concern for dog owners that also have kids.

-Picnic and Daisy Mae's Mom
[notify]
Picnic

Pamper me!

Barked: Sun Mar 25, '07 1:29pm PST 
In my experience, Picnic doesn't mind kids. He's very, very gentle with them...he's never snapped at and never jumped on a kid. Adults? He'll definitely get jumpy...So that's one thing that always shocks me. Still, at one dog park we've frequented, if the kids there start to chase him, it's clear that he's a little freaked out and that this is not a fun activity for him. He's never become aggressive about it, but it's clear that he prefers being petted over a chase game with little kids.

Daisy Mae was rescued from a household that had a two year old, and from what I saw of her around the two year old, she was very nervous...but the thing that I noticed was that the two year old was allowed free rein around Daisy Mae...he could hit her, he could jump at her...and this isn't the sort of thing I could imagine any dog would like. And to Daisy Mae's credit...she NEVER, NEVER snarled at him, and she tends to be snarly when she's nervous.

The reason I've heard corgies are classified as being not ideal dogs around youngsters is that they tend to be herdy, and if you have a household with young children, you don't necessarily want a dog that's going to nip at their heels. I'm not sure this is applicable, as I don't have children, but I've definitely heard this is a concern for dog owners that also have kids.

-Picnic and Daisy Mae's Mom
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5