GO!

Hyperactive Parson

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Wed Apr 11, '12 7:11am PST 
Hi all, My husband and I are thinking about adding a new member to the family, a Parson terrier. No children as yet, although hoping in the very near future.

I've read so many breed profiles offered on plenty of websites but I'd like to ask this to actual owners.

I understand the parsons are full of energy and we are both ready to put in the work however, what are the general risks of having a very hyperactive bitch? Should I just expect her to never sit calmly on my lap or lay by my feet as I have my dinner? Are they all generally full throttle all the time? Or perhaps its just a case of nurture?

Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that the Parsons are wonderfully spirited and lively (not to mention thoroughly beautiful!), but would there ever be a time in the day when we can all relax together in front of the tv?

Would love your advice and experiences.

Maddy
[notify]
Sophie

The Princess

Barked: Mon Jul 23, '12 8:06pm PST 
This is kind of a late response, but I'll go ahead and try to answer your questions. I've got a 2 1/2 year-old female Parson (I still giggle when people use the word bitch for girl dogs) and although she's pretty high-energy, she does sit and cuddle with me sometimes, but a lot of the time she expects me to throw a tennis ball for her. For some reason she always expects me to throw the ball for her during dinner, I guess since I'm sitting at the dinner table I'm an easy target. I'm lucky that I can take her to work with me, and at work she's about the same way, 50/50 play and sleep/cuddle (she usually sleeps behind me in my chair, so I'm sitting on the edge of the seat). I guess that's the nurture part, since I'm with her all day and she doesn't have to be crated or left alone when I'm at work. If I had to crate her or leave her alone at home I can only imagine what kind of destruction she'd wreak.
[notify]
Bandit

Barked: Sun Oct 28, '12 10:18pm PST 
Mine sit fine yes they go and run allot out side but inside they are calm lap dogs
[notify]