GO!

Training my Pap to be a Therapy Dog. Any tips?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Mitzi

Is that cheese- in your hand for- meee?

Barked: Tue Mar 8, '11 6:11pm PST 
I am in the process of making my Mitzi a therapy dog for nursing homes, schools, etc. We have been working on walking on a loose lead and sitting when people walk by and things like that, but there's only one problem. Whenever anyone comes by her or goes up to her, she gets so excited she just can't keep it in! She gets all wiggly and jumpy and just can't contain herself. Any tips on how to break this?
[notify]
Charlie

Barked: Tue Mar 19, '13 7:38am PST 
My Papillon, Bijou, is a certified therapy dog, and like yours, loves people and does jump up on them. His first trainer loved him so much that he was the teachers pet. The first thing she did every time she saw him was get all giggly and cry "Bijou, Bijou" which, of course encouraged him to jump up. Then she'd say, "Oh he shouldn't do that, should he?" Well you know where that went. The Papillons are charmers, and the only people who has ever objected to his jumping up were the people who were not too crazy about dogs anyway. Having said that, yes it's wrong.....but that's part of their spirit, and I, for one, would not change it in MY dog. As a working therapy dog he's on a leash at all times, so you can control the situation.dog walk
[notify]