GO!

Dag Park Behavior

This is the place for pups to exchange ideas and information about a variety of dog-related topics. Don't furget that there are many great resources on Dogster such as Dogster Answers and Dogster Blogs!

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  
Ami

I swear, I AM a- lap dog!

Barked: Tue May 24, '05 9:04am PST 
What do you guys think is acceptable behavior at dog parks?

I am not ok with other dogs mounting (trying to be G rated here) Ahmi and I tell them to get off of her when I see that happen. She is spayed, but I just think that is bad behavior and she has gotten her belly all scratched up from male dogs before. Am I being uptight? The owner of the mounting dog usually says something like 'he won't hurt her' or 'he's fixed, it's ok'
I really don't think it's ok.... am I alone on that one?

What about playing tug with another dog's collar? Ahmi is guilty of this one (i stop her).... but she has also wound up with scabs on her neck from this sort of play.
Is it normal to get scraped up like that? Am I being over sensative?

The only other dog that I have had was a golden and I don't ever remember her getting scraped up playing with other dogs... but maybe it is just more noticable on Ahmi because she has short hair?

what does everyone think?
[notify]
Shakespeare

Bringin' Sexy- Back!

Barked: Tue May 24, '05 9:19am PST 
I am guilty of trying to get it on with the sexy mamas at the dog park... My mommy is very embarrassed by this and stops me every time. I don't scrape up other doggies cuz usually I like ladies A LOT bigger than me (golden retriever and an english mastiff are my fav ladies in the world)
Mommy doesn't think it's acceptable for me to try and hump other doggies, mean ol' mommy. She always appologizes to the owners, always always!

I don't really get scratched up either cuz I'm not the one to play rough with doggies. Actually I hate when doggies put their paws on me, I get a bit snippy. I get yelled at for that too... sigh...

But if you get scratched up your mommy should not let you play so rough.
[notify]
Ami

I swear, I AM a- lap dog!

Barked: Tue May 24, '05 9:27am PST 
Thanks Shakespeare! I agree.... the scabs mean that they were playing too rough. She just always looks like she's having fun, I don't think that she feels pain very much.

I wish that we could go back and edit things we've posted... I meant Dog park of course smile
[notify]

Shakespeare

Bringin' Sexy- Back!

Barked: Tue May 24, '05 9:36am PST 
Oh, and you can have your mommy talk to the other human people at the dog park about the scratches. u know, to see if they notice their doggies being scratched up. and see what they do about that. Cuz if that happens to you chances are it happens to other pups too!

haha, I didn't even notice the typo until u said it smile
[notify]
Lily

Tough Runt

Barked: Tue May 24, '05 11:27am PST 
I agree with you guys. I can't stand it when people don't care to control their dogs. The other day I was at the dog park and this other dog kept licking my... uh... "privates"... like, obsessively. Mom kept pushing him off me, over and over again, but the owners were like "oh, he does that to everyone. don't worry about it". Geez, control your dog!

Yeah, I don' t like it when some dogs play too rough... again, a control problem, at the fault of the owner. I also don't think people should be bringing their dog to the park if they have EVER been aggressive because I have been seriously been attacked once, as has Laddie (the cute westie).

I think people need to understand two things about dog parks:

(1) Just because the dog parks are open to all dogs, doesn't mean that every dog belongs there. Owners need to learn to make the decision as to whether or not their dog will act appropriate around others.
(2) Just because the dog park is an "off-leash" area, doesn't mean that once the leash comes off your dog, they are no longer your responsibility to control. Your do is ALWAYS your responsibility to control when they are acting inappropriate, humping, licking, or playing rough.
[notify]
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Tue May 24, '05 5:33pm PST 
Well put Lily!

So many dog owners seem to have this jaded view of their dogs. Like, mommie has seen a lot of dogs that would be growling and barking at me, and the owners are like "Oh.. he/she is gentle. Don't worry" I've been lucky that mommie can read doggie's body language pretty well, so she just holds me when she meets these dogs.

Just last weekend, I went to a little doggie boutique store, and the storeclerk's doxie bit me. Mommie saw this coming, because he was barking, growling, and jumping at everyone who entered. That created enough nuisance to clear the store out pretty fast! (all the customers would walk in then leave VERY quickly)

Even with that, the store clerk just turned his head away and pretended not to notice (from what we saw, he seemed to "experience" this kind of situation pretty often). Well, to make the long story short, mommie and daddie had driven 45 minutes just to explore the store with me, so they didn't want a little doxie to ruin our little outing just like that. So they sucked it up and just carried me around. Then they had to put me down for like a second so I can try on a doggle - that doxie dashed forward and bit my nose!

My parents hate those people who treat service people like dirt, so daddie didn't want to be confrontational. He did wander out loud "wow. this doxie is pretty agressive" thinking that maybe that will hint the store clerk to do something about it (by the time that doxie bit me, mommie was so ready to kick his short butt out of the way). The store clerk got OFFENDED! His face turned red and he turned around before giving us that frustrating "how dare you bad mouth my little dog" look.

Mommie and daddie were so pissed and they left the store. Next time, we will be more blunt about situations like this!
[notify]
Lily

Tough Runt

Barked: Tue May 24, '05 8:09pm PST 
Wow, snowy... that is quite a story. That store probably won't be in business too long, with THAT attitude and a mean doggie! We are so glad the little mongrel didn't hurt you!
[notify]
Shakespeare

Bringin' Sexy- Back!

Barked: Tue May 24, '05 8:56pm PST 
Hey Snowy! If that ever happens again (I sure hope it doesn't) But if it does, just have your mommy and daddy go up to them and tell them to their face that their dog just bit you and expect an apology!

You do not deserve to be treated like a dog! (excuse the pun) hehehehehe
[notify]
Duke

Got Bones?

Barked: Tue May 24, '05 9:24pm PST 
Dog parks are really something else. Mounting should never be condoned, and the owner that allows their dog to hurt another should be punished.

I've seen other posts about "exclusive" dog parks, and that idea would be a blessing for me too. Small dogs have it tough, we want to play in the grass too.

It is too bad most dog owners don't care to teach correct social skills or enforce correction when their dog is out of line.
[notify]
Shakespeare

Bringin' Sexy- Back!

Barked: Wed May 25, '05 7:00am PST 
Hey Duke,
A lot of doggie parks have areas for little guys like you so your safe from being stepped on and things of that nature.

It's a shame that not all doggie parks have that tho... little doggies are people too!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8