GO!

What does YOUR dog get mistaken for that makes you wanna Laugh?...

This is the place for pups to exchange ideas and information about a variety of dog-related topics. Don't furget that there are many great resources on Dogster such as Dogster Answers and Dogster Blogs!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Shasta

Speed Demon

Barked: Mon Apr 30, '12 4:19pm PST 
I'm just curious on sill random odd things that people have mistaken your dog for (e.g. A breed he's not, being the puppy of your other 2 dogs, etc... anything that made you either want to laugh your head off, or want to slap that person in the face & say "YOU IDIOT!!!")

I was taking my Shasta for a walk one time, he was wearing his blue paw-print harness, and I had dark sunglasses on. A girl riding her bike next to me said "Can I pet your guide-dog?" I said "What?!" She said "Aren't you a blind person with a guide-dog? I mean you're wearing glasses and the dog has the fancy harness!" So I took off my glasses and loosened Shasta's leash a bit, "Nope, I'm normal... see? I can see just fine"

Another time I was down at the playground making him go down the slide, jump over benches, and do his obedience. A couple boys came over, and with their jaws dropped said "WOAH! Is that a real live police-dog?!?" I just chuckled and said "Nope, he's my mutt... I don't think he could ever be a police-dog!"

Some stories I've heard of are people who had a couple big dogs [I think it was like a Golden Retriever & a big mutt], and a little terrier, and they've had people stop them and say "Awwww your puppy is so cute! Are those two his parents?" "uh... no... my 'puppy' is about 3 years old and a purebred JRT..."
[notify]
Scruffy- (RIP)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Fri May 11, '12 5:57am PST 
LOL!

I have similar stories. Our dog and my MIL's dog are littermates, both are males. One time we were at Petco and this staff member comes over to see the dogs she asks if they are boys or girls and I replied "boys, they're brothers." The woman calls over a coworker to "come see the puppies." She asks how old they are I tell her they are 2 years old then she asks "Are they related? Are they father and daughter?" I told her no they are both males and they are brothers but she tells her coworker that they are father and daughter then she says "oh no wait they're brother and sister!" The entire time they kept thinking my dog was a girl and I got fed up so I kept smiling and nodding.

When we're out with Scruffy most people ask "Is he an Irish Wolfhound?" Scruffy is 50lbs and looks mostly like a Lab. There was this one time a woman asked us if he was an Irish Wolfhound and we tell her no he is a mutt. Then she says "Are you sure? He looks like a Wolfhound!" Another time we were at a dog park with my MIL and her dog (Scruffy and his brother look a lot a like) and I over hear this guy matter of factly tell a woman and kid "those are Irish Wolfhounds." Then they come over and the guy yells "are those Irish Wolfhounds?" We say "no, they're mutts!" Also, still most people think he is a girl. I don't get it, I mean he has short fur so you can tell he's a boy. laugh out loud

One day we were outside playing with Scruffy and Starr in the snow and the dogs were kind of wrestling but not doing too much and this guy was sticking fliers in the door and he comes over and yells "hey, you cut that out!" I tell him that they are just playing and so does hubby. Then he comes over and asks "Is he a wolf?" Refering to Starr. Starr was 35lbs on a good day and we tell him she's a mutt. He then says "Really? You sure? He looks like a wolf." I'm like "nope, she's a mutt." Then he asks if they are friendly after he's already started petting them.

One day we were walking in the woods and these guys who seem like they are under the influence of something come up tous and ask "hey, what kind of dog is that? The one that looks like a Scottie dog, is it a Scottie dog?." Refering to Lily. Hubby tells them "The rescue listed her as Schnauzer/Skye Terrier mix." The guy turns to his friend and says "see, you were right, a little Scottie dog!" Lily is 31lbs and is about knee high. I'm sure she could be part Scottie but she is not all Scottie.

We get asked quite often if Scruffy and Lily are related. They are not.
[notify]
Sirius- Padfoot- Black

Too clever for- Mom's own good!- :)

Barked: Fri May 11, '12 10:05am PST 
I had a friend visiting from St. Louis once and she hadn't met Siri yet, but mentioned she was afraid of big dogs. The funniest thing she did was this.

Her, sitting in a rocker, scritching Siri behind the ears: Of all the dogs you have, he's the one I'm really afraid of.

I wasn't sure what to make of that, really. He's the biggest lovebug ever. and why was she rubbing his ears if she's afraid of him??? She was mistaking him for a vicious dog, I guess. big laugh
[notify]

Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Fri May 11, '12 11:07am PST 
Scruffy- that reminds me: I think it's pretty funny when people think Bruno and Sampson are brothers, or otherwise related (I've gotten people thinking Bruno is a girl, because he's smaller). Hmm, let's see, one is 49 lbs, has standing ears, a short curled tail, and a thick ruff/cape of hair. The other is 75 lbs, has drop ears, a long low tail, and short-all-over hair. The only thing they have in common physically is that they're both black, probably the commonest dog color on the planet. laugh out loud But I would never be rude or angry to someone about it, they just don't know any better. meditate
[notify]
Scruffy- (RIP)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Fri May 11, '12 8:20pm PST 
I once had a woman ask to pet Starr I say ok. Then she tells me she was afraid of small dogs jump back after she was petting Starr because Starr sniffed her. I told her that Starr is friendly and she isn't that small. Starr was next to me but I moved her closer for safe measure. The lady says "oh, she's friendly?" Then moves forwards and continues petting her.

Whenever Scruffy and his brother are together the first question is usually "are they brother and sister?" Funny thing is, people used to think/ask if Starr was a boy but we put a purple collar on her and no one thought or asked if she was boy again but with Scruffy no matter the collar people still think he is a girl. shrug
[notify]
Macy

Back Off! I- really don't- like strangers!

Barked: Mon May 28, '12 1:33pm PST 
I had one man ask on 2 different occasions if Macy was a Corgi. No…her legs are waaaay to long for that! I heard one little boy tell a friend that he thought she was a poodle (huh?). And then there was a teenager who asked if she was a yorkie!!!
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Thu May 31, '12 2:50am PST 
I got the guide dog one with my Golden once and she wasn't even wearing a harness, I had her on a collar. Apparently some people think only the visually impaired wear sunglasses shrug

Onyx gets mistaken for a Lab and a wolf most commonly. Not sure what kind of Lab has his ears and I think many people have only the vaguest idea of what a wolf looks like.

I was asked if he was a police dog once but it was an older gentleman from the time when German Shepherds were commonly referred to as police dogs, even if they weren't actually K9s, so I'm pretty sure he was just asking if he was a GSD.
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Fri Jun 1, '12 7:40am PST 
It's funny how many people don't recognize St.Bernards. Moose has been mistaken for a Great Dane and Bull Mastiff.

Most people think Moose is a girl and most everyone asks, "what's her name"?
So, one neighbor was rubbing Moose's belly as he was laying on his back and as she's rubbing his pink belly, with his business right there, she asks, "Is Moose a boy or a girl"? Huh? Seriously?
[notify]
Scruffy- (RIP)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Sun Jun 3, '12 12:35pm PST 
At the park two people came up to us after hearing "Look! Service dogs!" The people come up to us and ask "Are they service dogs? What do they do?" I can only assume they asked because Scruffy was wearing a Kurgo harness which has a chest plate. When I replied no, they aren't service dogs the guy was like "Oh, really? I thought coz of the vest he would be." I told him he is not wearing a vest, he is wearing a harness.

Once at a different park a guy rode past on his bike and yelled "It's Rin Tin Tin!" at me and Starr. laugh out loud

Edited by author Sun Jun 3, '12 12:37pm PST

[notify]
Peach

Etsy's Pooch &- Puddy mascot!

Barked: Sat Jun 23, '12 5:11pm PST 
Peach doesn't often get mistaken for other dogs, but I had a moment earlier. We're walking her, and up ahead I see a little blond blur with a puffy tail and say, "Is that a Pomeranian with a haircut?" It was! About 2 pounds lighter than Peach and of the poofy show-coat variety. Peach peered at him like he was an alien. His owners? Didn't recognise Peach for a pom!

I understand she's flat-coated and bigger than him, but she's otherwise to standard and looks like a Pomeranian!

They told me theirs was a "mini", and I just smiled and nodded. Poms don't come in "mini", they come in 3-7 pounds with larger varieties not being disqualified, but neither being "acceptable" 9_9
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3