GO!

Dog and Owner Personality Tests!!

This is the place for pups to exchange ideas and information about a variety of dog-related topics. Don't furget that there are many great resources on Dogster such as Dogster Answers and Dogster Blogs!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Thu Mar 8, '12 11:27pm PST 
I tried the CBTI and found a lot of the choices hard to make, neither one fit Bruno very well- he's very, very fast and strong when he wants to be and loves running, but lies like a rug most of the day, so is he active or placid? And normally he's very obedient and attentive, but that goes out the window in prey mode. There's quite a range between "won't follow commands" and "depends on my commands even when excited". And a dog can be obedient but still have a naturally independent personality. He'll obey when there's something in it for him.
Anyway...
He got the Spontaneous Alpha Medium:

"Your dog is a Spontaneous, Alpha and Medium Activity type which we call the Aristocrat. The Aristocrat's composure causes people to feel privileged to be in its company. It has an air of greatness with high chin carriage and sometimes looking down its nose at others. The Aristocrat enjoys a highly ordered social system and needs strong leadership. It attends mainly to what interests it and does not work well in a group."

LOL, he works GREAT with just ME, but he certainly has his own interests. And he has no time for other dogs, and doesn't care for strange people unless they have food. I don't know what "strong leadership" means here, I'm certainly not a disciplinarian type of person, and I don't use a lot of punishment/aversive stimuli in training or daily life. But I do ask Bruno to work for privileges, and I expect obedience in most circumstances.

Ha, I took the test again, changed a few things after some careful thought, and I got the Commando (Organized Alpha High.) How can the same dog "not work well in a group" (Aristocrat) and "is most comfortable and effective working in a team" (Commando)?

I call bogus. Anyway, it's just for fun. I hope no one is taking this test too seriously.
[notify]
Kip & Oogie

Goof Fox & Diva- Squirrel

Barked: Fri Mar 9, '12 1:19pm PST 
Bruno, I agree that the test is pretty simplistic, and honestly, like people, dogs are much more complex than any personality test results that they get! The Myers-Briggs for people, which touts a very high validity, even makes things a bit too simplistic especially if you are someone who is teetering in the middle between two personality preferences like extroversion or introversion. Someone in the middle might be more of an extrovert one day but more of an introvert another, and the test doesn’t address that very well. This doggie CBTI is much the same in that respect (for example, dogs kind of in the middle between high and medium energy) and some of the questions are even a bit confusing IMO. My results for Kip and Oogie were pretty accurate, but I definitely wouldn’t take their test results as something set in stone! I just thought it was an interesting/fun test and wanted to share it with everyone smile
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Fri Mar 9, '12 1:44pm PST 
Yah, I've taken the Meyers-Briggs before, and end up hovering between INTJ and ENTJ (if I recall correctly- the "Mastermind" or the "Fieldmarshal" in the Kiersey sorting system.) I look for patterns and I'm good at finding links between different concepts, and I'm a logical thinker who likes to explain things to other people, but whether I'm more outgoing or inward-looking depends on the circumstances. A lot of the questions can go either way.

It seems like the dog personality assessment puts a lot of weight on obedience, even though it asks for "natural tendencies, not trained responses." All obedience is a trained response, so it kind of contradicts itself. People who aren't into training or not good at training are going to score their dogs as "more independent." thinking

Like I said, I don't take any kind of standardized personality/aptitude/intelligence tests that seriously, because there is so much wiggle room.
[notify]

Kip & Oogie

Goof Fox & Diva- Squirrel

Barked: Fri Mar 9, '12 2:08pm PST 
@ Bruno: “Like I said, I don't take any kind of standardized personality/aptitude/intelligence tests that seriously, because there is so much wiggle room.” SO true!

I also am with you on falling between I and E on they Myers-Briggs, but its INFP/ENFP. Last time I took it (had to for a class) I had a very slight preference for E over I. Whether or not I feel like being social depends on the circumstances, like if I haven’t seen a particular group of people for a while or if I’m exhausted from work or school. Some people have really strong preferences one way or the other, but for those of us that fall in the middle the test loses some accuracy. I would definitely say results would be more accurate for people who have very high, distinct personality preferences- for example, I have a very high “P” preference and it would be highly unlikely for me to fluctuate towards having “J” in my personality. The wiggle room is there but it gets looser the closer you get towards being in the middle in terms of having a preference.

Also, good point on the test having an inherent focus on obedience. I personally feel like some dogs are more inclined to be obedient than other dogs- my two are a perfect example. They share very similar genetics since they are siblings, they have been raised in the same environment by the same handler (me) and I’m actually pretty good in terms of teaching them the rules I expect them to live by. That said, Kip was/is far easier to train than Oogie because he is very focused on me naturally- given the choice between going off and doing his own thing or doing something with me, he will pick me 98% of the time (if not more frequently than that). Oogie was/is still trainable, but she was/is more difficult because she’s more apt to and interested in exploring her own interests- I would definitely say she is more independent. And these are differences in their personalities that were apparent even when they were very young puppies- differences which have remained stable as they have matured.

Edited by author Fri Mar 9, '12 2:18pm PST

[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Wed Mar 14, '12 11:47pm PST 
JT is the rebel and man it's true!

"Your dog is a Spontaneous, Alpha and High Activity type which we call the Rebel. The Rebel is a High (H) energy, full blooded dog with presence and attitude. Its focus is narrow, strong, and often not on its owner. Aimless, free activity suits the Rebel. It loves to go jogging, have a wander and sniff about."

That's exactly right. Our walks consist mainly of offleash time where he sniffs, runs and chases bugs. He only recalls when HE feels like it. When he plays with a group of dogs he always decides on the game and it's usually a chase game. Any dog who doesn't want to play is pretty much ignored and cast from the group.

Yep, he's a jerk.

I think I'm a cross between the 'expert' and the 'free spirit'. I enjoy learning all I can about dogs and training, but am happy to let the dog do whatever he wants (within reason.) The only time I insist he does something is if I feel he will be endangered if he doesn't, but most of the time I let him just be a dog and do doggy things - dig, chase birds, bark, run. Most I ask during offlead time is a few recalls and sit stays and I'm happy. If he's not in the mood for training I don't push the issue and try again another time. Maybe I'm too soft, lol, especially seeming my dog is the 'I'll do what I want type' as it seems.
[notify]
Abner

Basset Hound- with a Flatty- suit on

Barked: Thu Mar 15, '12 12:26am PST 
Abner is...

SGH - Investigator

Your dog is an Spontaneous, Gamma and High Activity type which we call the Investigator. The Investigator is a loveable, submissive, funny, even silly character that is happiest when obeying its leader or involved in freeform activity. The Investigator makes a great pet for active people. They are High (H) energy dogs that need exercise and love regular walks.

Umm, kind of. Obeying? HA.
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Mon Mar 26, '12 11:18am PST 
Abner, Sarah is the same. I did Lizzie too, but I can't remember what she was, although it fit her very well. The enforcer or something like that...
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2