GO!

Licensing your dog!

This is the place for pups to exchange ideas and information about a variety of dog-related topics. Don't furget that there are many great resources on Dogster such as Dogster Answers and Dogster Blogs!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Olive

Lab/Rottie/Chow/- Shepherd Mix!

Barked: Tue Dec 20, '11 1:47pm PST 
Do you live in an area where licensing your dog is required?

I do.

Olive now has three tags and is overjoyed that she can make even more noise - yaaay. happy dance
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Tue Dec 20, '11 2:30pm PST 
Yup. Dogs in my city are required to be licensed by four months old.

ETA: This post made me curious about various city's licensing costs. For mine, it's $9 for an altered dog and $18 for an unaltered. When I looked up my bf's city I discovered for altered animals it's $15 for a one year license, $25 for a two year, and $32 for a three year. For unaltered animals it's $50, $80, or $100 shock

Edited by author Tue Dec 20, '11 2:42pm PST

[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue Dec 20, '11 10:01pm PST 
Absolutely. Mika&Kai can't stand to have their collars off ever. They have even stopped on a walk to have a slipped collar put back on without being told.
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Dec 21, '11 10:27pm PST 
Onyx here we do not have a huge price difference and ours are annual only it is $11 unaltered male $12 unaltered female and don't ask why I have no clue but it is $9 altered female,$8 altered male. I can't understand for the life of me why females are more expensive than males but they are. I have called our county treasurer's office which is where the licenses are all issued originally and all filed after purchase and information is kept on record and even they have no answer except it has always been that way and when they have increases all fees are raised by the same ammount.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Wed Dec 21, '11 10:28pm PST 
Licensing is mandatory here and I wish I lived where you do. $31 for an altered dog, $52 for unaltered. All dogs over 3 months old. So $187 for the 4 I have now. And every dog I bring here over 3 months old has to be licensed.
[notify]
Olive

Barked: Thu Dec 22, '11 11:08am PST 
Wow, I had no idea it was so expensive elsewhere! shock

It's $6 here for an altered dog, and $11 for an unaltered dog. All dogs over 6 months old must be licensed. All dogs must show proof of current rabies vaccination in order to be licensed.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Thu Dec 22, '11 11:57am PST 
Bit off topic but there is also no verification required of spay/neuter. They trust you to be honest. Who else thinks the statistics here might be a bit off? They also never verify the number of dogs in a home and don't delete cancelled licenses from there files.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu Dec 22, '11 9:30pm PST 
We are also required to purchase for any dog over 12 weeks. In fact thank-you for posting this thread and reminding me I have to get the pups their 2012 tags before the end of next week. They must have them before January 1st if they are over 12 weeks and mine are. Also since I'm purchasing at a different vendor this year I will need their documentation to get the speuter discount. Fortunately all but one of the authorized vendors will scan them into the computer so that I won't need to have them next year. I tried to send applications to the county treasurer's office before since that is an option here,sent copies of documents and a money order and never got the tags so I won't do it again.
Sabi- I'm glad I don't live where you are that seems outrageous for a yearly tag.

Does anyone have the option for a lifetime tag where you are?
We do it's $120. plus costs of sedation/anesthesia ,vet visit and tatoo costs. Although it might save a little bit if you are able to have it done during speuter I'm afraid of an allergy or other reaction to the ink used and don't feel like keeping their thigh shaved so that the number can be clearly seen.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Fri Dec 23, '11 1:38am PST 
I would think it would be smarter to be honest about whether your dog is altered or not - particularly if they ended up tossed in the pound cause they escaped - how do you explain to them, "Yep! That unaltered dog, who I said was altered, is mine!" I can't imagine the backlash from that, to be honest. I'd rather be entirely honest, lol..
[notify]
Olive

Barked: Fri Dec 23, '11 7:17am PST 
There are hefty fines dog owners face if they are caught lying or not licensing their dog. I wouldn't want to pay a $100+ fine.

I get that it's to keep track of dogs; I don't really have a problem with it. They ask for the vet name and number to confirm spayed dogs (whether or not they actually follow through on the reference check, I don't know), but you are required to show proof of rabies vaccination.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3