GO!

What to write on ID tags?

This is the place for pups to exchange ideas and information about a variety of dog-related topics. Don't furget that there are many great resources on Dogster such as Dogster Answers and Dogster Blogs!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Mon Dec 5, '11 10:00am PST 
Hey smile

I'm ordering Kitsune a new collar for Christmas and I'd like to get him a new ID tag to go with it. I like the idea of having two sets of ID tags around in case one of them gets lost or something.

I'm trying to decide what to have written on the ID tag. I can only include about 4 or 5 lines of test though.

So my first question, do I put my dogs name or mine? On the tag he has now I used my name. I kind of like the idea of getting a tag with his name on it instead, but I've heard that some people say it's not a good idea. Although if I put Kitsune's name on his tag, I bet either people wouldn't know how to pronounce it right anyways and of course they wouldn't know that we commonly call our dog "Kit" instead of using his full name. But one plus I do see of putting my name is that if anyone ever found him they'd know who to ask for when they call the numbers on his tag.

And what about address? Is it a good idea or bad to include our address? Should I include the whole address or maybe just our town and state?

What to other people have written on their dogs ID tags?
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Mon Dec 5, '11 10:01am PST 
I just have the pup's name, and a phone number (my cell phone)
[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Mon Dec 5, '11 10:27am PST 
If you get him a double sided tag, you could put your name and his. smile
Honestly I think having Ava's name on her tag is the only thing that saved her from being carried off by some teenagers who thought she was lost.

I was on a lower part of the forest trail, and I saw this group of teenagers up on a hill through the trees and they were holding Ava (we always hike off leash, but we made a point not to walk on that particular trail anymore, since it lines a neighborhood and there are too many risks to having Ava off leash there) so I called to her, and I heard them say "Ava? Check her tags. Yep, this is Ava." and they let her go and she came flying back to me. Then I heard them call "Sorry! We thought she was lost"

I also had my phone number on Ava's tag, as well as "I AM MICROCHIPPED!" since some vets won't even check. but I had to change the tags when I lost my phone, so now they just have the dog's names, phone number, and the city we're from since I couldn't fit the part about Ava being chipped on her tag, and Nix isn't chipped.
[notify]

Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Mon Dec 5, '11 10:40am PST 
I have the dog's name, my landline phone and my cell phone. I couldn't fit 'microchipped' either, but I can see why that would be helpful.

My sister's dog was an escape artist. They put her address on her tag which turned out to be very helpful. If people in the neighborhood found her, they'd just walk or drive her back to their house. It's nice if you don't have to involve animal control at all.
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Mon Dec 5, '11 10:44am PST 
Oh, and the dogs wear their microchip tags (HomeAgain provides one)
[notify]
Oscar

Canis Angelicus

Barked: Mon Dec 5, '11 10:55am PST 
I have Oscar's name and my cell phone number on the tag. Its a very cute handmade one from Esty! Oscar also has his name embroidered on his collar.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Mon Dec 5, '11 11:00am PST 
I also got our tag from Etsy and they got Jewel's name, my name, address, phone number and "Food Allergies" on the tag. She's also chipped and wears a tag that says so with the number of the chip & company on it incase she ends up somewhere they don't have a scanner.
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Mon Dec 5, '11 11:39am PST 
Bruno is a tag-losing maniac so I gave up on tags. I think he's gone through about 6 in two years. I don't like the cheap etched aluminum ones, they bend out of shape and the writing wears off. More durable ones cost more and I'm tired of wasting my money when he loses them.

So all Bruno has now is his county license tag, (which costs only $3.00 to replace) and his name and my cell phone number written in fluorescent yellow fabric paint on his collar. I used my cell instead of my house number because if he gets lost while I'm out hiking or on a road trip, I want people to call the phone I actually have with me. I'm just not comfortable putting my real name on my dog's collar.

He is microchipped as well for peace of mind if he loses his collar or there is an ownership dispute.

When he had a nice tag with space for a lot of writing on it, I included my home address (including state and city) so a finder would know if he was really lost or just out for a stroll. Twice I have returned lost dogs to their home without involving animal control because they had their own address on the tag and were only blocks from home.
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Mon Dec 5, '11 12:11pm PST 
My first dog had an amazing stainless steel tag with my name and address on one side and his name and my phone number on the other. (I actually still have that tag)

Conker's got a super lame and falling apart Petsmart tag that's got his name and my phone number on it, as well as my ex's number but I ground it off with a dremel so it looks really ghetto. His rabies tag is really beat up and you can barely read it...

When I get another I'll probably put his name, the city/state where I live and my phone number on it.

Juneau and Sasha have their names and my Mom's and little sister's cell numbers on thiers.
[notify]
Black

DeMamma and my- boy and me makes- a team

Barked: Mon Dec 5, '11 12:17pm PST 
On charlie's tag I put his name, my last name and cell #. i could not fit much on his little tag. On Blacks tag it has got his name, service dog, address and both phone numbers. His tag is big.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2