GO!

Share your pup's silly little quirks!!!

This is the place for pups to exchange ideas and information about a variety of dog-related topics. Don't furget that there are many great resources on Dogster such as Dogster Answers and Dogster Blogs!

(Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 38)  
1  2  3  4  
Kip & Oogie

Goof Fox & Diva- Squirrel

Barked: Fri Mar 30, '12 12:38am PST 
Wow Siri is one smart dude!!! That’s really impressive that he was able to learn to mimic you (and realize what the words meant) without even being prompted/trained to do so! Too cool. One of my childhood dogs growing up was a Brittany Spaniel who was mad smart… my dad would take her hunting frequently. One time, while my dad was at a gas station and apparently taking too long to pay inside, Gypsy climbed into the driver’s seat and started honking the car horn repeatedly- he was backed into the space too, so the front of the car was facing away from the store- which makes me think she really did do it intentionally and not by accident trying to squirm to the closes possible spot to where my dad was. Anyway, Dad rushed out, and she scooted right back to the passenger seat with a “come on lets GO!” look on her face laugh out loud Once she learned that got him out, it became a repeated behavior!

Our second Brittany, Freckle (who is now at the ripe age of 14) never did learn to hunt like Gypsy did, since my dad was no longer hunting by the time we got her. She certainly did have the instincts, though… So, I trained her to hunt cockroaches and flies. She knew the differences between the two words- You’d say “Freckie, FLY!” and she’d perk her ears, trying to listen to wear the fly was. Then she would go on point when she found it, and promptly eat it. Cockroaches were a different story… those were her favorite game. I would say “Freckie, ROACH!” She’d go on point, I’d throw something at the roach to get it down, she’d capture the roach in her mouth, and we’d run to the back door which I would open and she would then take the roach outside to kill it. I happen to be TERRIFIED of them... Anyway, late one night when I still lived at home, there was a cockroach in my bedroom, and I COULD NOT SLEEP knowing it was there. So I went downstairs, quietly opened my parent’s bedroom door, and whispered “Freckie, roach”… Freckles ever so gingerly tiptoed out of bed, doing her best to be gentle and not disturb my parents’ rest. She came out of the door, I closed it, and she looked up at me like “ALRIGHT LET’S DO THIS.” I said “Upstairs!” and she bolted up the stairs… Upon finding it, she went on point. I started throwing shoes, but the damned thing got under the dresser before it could be captured and executed. Freckles though, being the ever vigilant and amazing dog that she is, stayed in my room and guarded me the entire night through- she slept on the floor, nose to the dresser, just waiting for that sucker to show it’s creepy gross buggy self. That was the one that got away laugh out loud

Grunt, big cuddly dogs are the best!!! Love it smile Is he a blanket-burrower too? A couple of my friends have a German shorthair pointer that INSISTS on sleeping under the covers with them. EVERY. NIGHT.

Another funny thing about Kip is that he is a shoulder-percher. We were talking about this in the Pomeranian forum and apparently there are quite a few poms that do this type of behavior! Anyway, if I’m on the computer writing a paper for class or something and Kip thinks he needs some attention, little dude will literally jump onto my shoulders/back from the back end of the couch!! And then he slowly worms himself closer and closer to my face… as close as he can possibly get without touching... and then, once eye contact is made, he licks and/or paws at my face. He looks like a little fox stole/parrot/scarf thing: Kip's scarf impersonation Oogie is far too much of a lady to ever attempt to perform such acrobatic shenanigans laugh out loud

Edited by author Fri Mar 30, '12 12:42am PST

[notify]
Evie

I'm fierce!- Rarrr!

Barked: Thu Apr 12, '12 11:27am PST 
Evie's developed a new one! She now thinks that THE place to sleep at night is right next to my head on my pillow. Being only 8 lbs, she doesn't take up much room, so now I have Belle under the covers and Evie on the pillow. Leaves more room for the boys, Siri and Wicket, down at the bottom of the bed. laugh out loud
[notify]
Grunt CGC

WWGD or What- Would Grunt Do?

Barked: Thu Apr 12, '12 4:19pm PST 
Actually Grunt sleeps on top of the covers... he throws off alot of heat...way to go
[notify]

Sirius- Padfoot- Black

Too clever for- Mom's own good!- :)

Barked: Fri Apr 13, '12 10:04am PST 
I know what you mean, Grunt! Siri and Wicket both sleep on top of the covers, cause they're living space heaters!
[notify]
Shasta

Speed Demon

Barked: Thu Apr 26, '12 12:01pm PST 
Every afternoon. My boys, Shasta, and Otto, know it's dinner time. We keep the food in a big can outside. When Shasta says he's hungry, he runs up & jumps on the bench by the can. Otto stands in the middle of the yard, holding his football, giving me a blank stare when he's hungry.

As soon as I open the lid & fill up the cups, they blast off to the back [where Shasta's kennel & Otto's cable (and their food-bowls) are]. BUT! It is an epic battle between them. If Otto gets to the kennel first, he waits at the gate and will wrestle with Shasta [Otto loves it, Shaz hates it]. If Shasta gets there first, he runs inside to safety (For some reason Otto knows he's not allowed to go inside & bug Shaz... I think they have little talks about it...) and Otto backs off.

It's a strategy for Shasta though... Otto lopes off to the kennel, and Shasta stays behind.... when Otto's just about there... BAM! Shasta whizzes past him, often jumping clear over him, and flies into the kennel.

Anyway, their daily routine is immensely hilarious. It can't be described in words though [even though I tried... did a lousy job at that, hah]. I'm gonna have to try & get a video of it one of these days... I have NEVER seen dogs who have such an odd routine like that. But it just makes me love them both all the more for who they are laugh out loud
[notify]
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Thu Apr 26, '12 12:51pm PST 
My boys do so many things it's hard to remember them all.

Since they both want what the other has, Huck will chew on any bone laying around so that Ringo will want it, and as soon as Ringo drops what he has to go see what Huck has, Huck will make a run for Ringo's bone.

When we get home at night, we know if they did something wrong even if we don't see it yet cause the minute the door opens they run and sit on the couch and hang their heads. If they didn't do anything wrong, they'll greet us and wait for their treat.

Neither will let Dad feed them. I have to put their bowls on the floor and sit on a stool till they're done. If I get up, they'll stop eating till I sit down again.

I have NEVER heard either dog fart, but if I walk into a smelly room that my husband just happens to be in, he'll tell me Huck did it.
thinking
[notify]
Otto- 2011-2013- sleep well- ange

Super cute,- super sweet,- super pit!

Barked: Thu Apr 26, '12 9:37pm PST 
@ Kip & Oogie: Speaking of 'mad smart' dogs. My friend would go duckhunting with his black lab all the time. He trained it to retrieve very well of course, but he would belly-crawl in the grass to sneak up on the ducks, and that doggone dog was so smart that it mimicked him & belly-crawled as well, staying RIGHT next to him. He said he didn't have to train the dog to do it.... he'd just mimic his master... incredible dogs are!
[notify]
Kip & Oogie

Goof Fox & Diva- Squirrel

Barked: Wed May 2, '12 11:57am PST 
Evie, sounds like you've got body heaters all around!! A head warmer, a body warmer, and a foot warmer for each foot laugh out loud

Grunt, you gotta love the furry space heaters way to go

Shasta that is too funny!! You definitely need to catch a video of that laugh out loud I bet every time Shasta leaps over Otto he's thinking to himself "I've outsmarted you AGAIN!!!" Kip and Oogie don't have anything particularly special about their food time routine, though Oogie has taken it upon herself to take the responsibility of notifying me when she feels it is time for them to eat. She prances over to me and then stares at me while stomping her tiny feet on me. I'll ask her if she's "hungry" and if she wants "food", and she stomps even more persistently. When Kip hears those words, he starts spazzing out a bit... spinning in circles, jumping on and off any furniture that's around, "singing" and dancing- he gets pretty excited about the whole ordeal. He gets pretty excited about just about everything though big laugh

Hucky and Ringo, Huck is a smart manipulator!!! Oogie does the same thing with Kip, though Kip hasn't figured out how to manipulate Oogie in the same fashion yet. You must also have them trained really well to know the rules if they are aware and show it when they mess up! Are they really sensitive to your body language and tone of voice? I know with Kip, if I even look at him wrong or speak to him with the slightest negative tone in my voice, he immediately goes into submissive mode- even if I find something bad (like an occasional puddle of pee) and ask Kip and Oogie who did it, Kip will be the one to act guilty even if he wasn't the perpetrator! He's just super sensitive I guess. Oogie doesn't act guilty unless she gets caught red handed doing something though... little snot!! Luckily it's a very rare occurrence for them to mess up though smile Also, that is hilarious that you have to sit on the stool until your pups are done eating- I honestly have never heard of anything like that before- Maybe they feel like they need you there to guard their food/protect them while they are eating? And I don't know about the smelly room deal... your husband's logic seems kinda iffy... do I smell a cover-up-blame-the-dog scenario?? thinking laugh out loud

Otto, that's crazy! Hunting dogs really are mad smart. So are border collies for that matter! I've never owned one but I remember watching this PBS special on dogs a while back, and one of the segments in the show was on a particularly intelligent border collie who was able to use deductive logic to learn new things. The dog had hundreds of toys and literally knew the name for each one and could pick them out by name- and she could learn the names of new toys just by reasoning that there wasn't already a toy present that had the new name of what she was told to look for- pretty impressive! I'll have to try to find that video clip and post it on here.

Edited by author Wed May 2, '12 12:00pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 38)  
1  2  3  4