GO!

Don't call me mommy?

This is the place for pups to exchange ideas and information about a variety of dog-related topics. Don't furget that there are many great resources on Dogster such as Dogster Answers and Dogster Blogs!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Tue Nov 15, '11 5:39pm PST 
I was looking at the dogster main page last week and came across a cross-linked blog from a woman who insists that people not call her 'mommy' when referring to her dog. She said that someone called her that at training class and she told them that she was not her's dog mom. One of the reasons she gave was that she did not give birth to him (lol thanks for that, I never would have guessed!) and that he is a dog with dog needs and not a child. She also said no one would think to call him her 'furry 80 lb infant' haha.

How about everyone else? Do you like to be referred to as 'furmom' or 'furdad' or call your dogs the 'furkids'? Or would you rather be known as owner, companion, carer, etc. etc.

I myself don't mind. Plenty of people have called JT my 'baby'. I jokingly call myself mummy and my husband calls himself daddy. I do get he is a dog with doggy needs and don't treat him like a baby, but I think it's pretty fun to do nevertheless. Like, if it's raining, I'll say, 'oh, let him in, he can't be in the rain, he's just a baby!' (even though he's a sheepdog with a waterproof coat and a very solid kennel.) I have been known to say 'come to mum'.

Who else is an unabashed fur-parent? And if not, why not? smile
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Wed Nov 16, '11 9:00am PST 
I'll jokingly refer to myself as a "dog mom" in the right situation with the right people.
And I'll call by dogs "babies" or in Rigby's case "baby girl"

I don't know about this woman, but I'm comfortable in the fact that I bear no resemblance to my dogs and such "assumptions" of the dogs true parents wouldn't be made about me confused
[notify]
Sonja

It's all about- me.

Barked: Wed Nov 16, '11 1:12pm PST 
I'm with you, JT way to go

Dog-mom =

Guardian
Friend
Nurse
Companion
Care-Taker
Owner
Handler
Trainer
Keeper
Alpha Bitch laugh out loud

It's OK to be a "Dog Mom" or "Dog-Father." No need to over-think what we are to our animals...all of the above.
[notify]

The Roo- Crew™- ©®

We go together- like peas &- carrots

Barked: Wed Nov 16, '11 4:13pm PST 
There was a thread started by someone else in another forum, with differnt views, and I feel whatever you feel you want to be called is fine by me, but don't force your beliefs on me.

Heck, even my email address is Fur Momma!big laugh

Yup, I'm the Momma. My husband is Not-The-Momma!laugh out loud

Just kidding. He's Daddy, Beloved one, or The BESTEST man in the world.cloud 9
Khloe

Oh, is it a- dream?

Barked: Wed Nov 16, '11 7:30pm PST 
I've called myself Khloe's Momma, as does/did the family (my parents are Grandpa and Grandpa, my sisters are his Aunts)... We didn't really have a mother-son relationship, but hey - why not? shrug
[notify]
Shadow

Lets GO

Barked: Thu Nov 17, '11 1:18pm PST 
So people who adopt children are not their parents?

Shadow was very young when I got her. I fed her formula and gruel every couple of hours, stayed up with her, comforted her, cleaned her, loved her. Is that not a mothers job? She may not be a child and I DO recognize that but she is my baby. She recognizes no other mother except perhaps Sabi who stood watch and helped.
[notify]
The Roo- Crew™- ©®

We go together- like peas &- carrots

Barked: Thu Nov 17, '11 4:17pm PST 
Amen, Shadow!hail

Edited by author Thu Nov 17, '11 4:17pm PST

Dunlop

Dunlop-named for- the rider not- the tyer

Barked: Thu Nov 17, '11 9:05pm PST 
At the dogschool someone called my mother "Dunlops grandma" I had to explain to her what it meant. She wasn't impressed but said she'd been called worse things. I get "Dunlop's Mum" quite often because people forget my name or only know the dogs name. I don't object to it despite the fact I have no children of my own yet.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Thu Nov 17, '11 11:54pm PST 
Hear hear, Shadow!

Dunlop my own mother calls herself JT's grandmother. As I don't intend to have children I guess she knows it's as close as she'll get!
[notify]
Thor

Hump Hump

Barked: Fri Nov 18, '11 5:05am PST 
It dont matter to me....smile

As long as I dont start looking & acting like Thor's mom....laugh out loudlaugh out loud
The boy sure is a wide load & has lots of wrinkles...big laughbig laugh

Hugs & Farts
Thor..wave
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2