GO!

coffee shop vent

This is the place for pups to exchange ideas and information about a variety of dog-related topics. Don't furget that there are many great resources on Dogster such as Dogster Answers and Dogster Blogs!

Yoshi

XD

Barked: Wed Feb 2, '11 11:18am PST 
Hey pups, I was hoping someone could shed some light on this before I go insane and do something really stupid. laugh out loud

As you probably know, I'm a 22 year old student with a disability. I don't have a job yet, therefore don't make any money. OK, so my school has had a coffee shop for quite some time. At first, it was all good. They'd give people free water and all sorts of other things. Ever since Christmas, they've just started becoming money driven. They won't even give you water unless you're buying something. WTH is wrong with them? Yesterday I asked for some water in a plastic glass to take on the subway, and they tried to charge me $0.25, and I was like, screw that. Come on, it's plastic. Plastic = disposable = throw away. It's not 24 ^ gold. I know we have water fountains and all, but I hate public fountains because they're so disgusting. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I hate how the world is so money driven. People should be more willing to give rather than receive. I mean, if I saw someone in need, I'd give them free stuff. Grrr, I need to invent an invisibility cloak and just steal a plastic glass and get my own water.

Thanks for listening pups. I know I can always count on my dogster pals.

xoxoxo
[notify]
Misha- (R.I.P.- 4/29/13)

Play or hide?! I- dunno... @_@

Barked: Thu Feb 10, '11 12:53am PST 
I worked at a food service type store for about a year, and we also charged $.25 for water cups/plastic utensils if they weren't buying anything. The fact is, some smaller stores just don't bring in the income daily to give away free things. frown

Large chains can afford it. The price of a cup is pretty much nothing. But when we gave them away free, we were losing too much money. >_> I did get customers that got mad at us for it, but that's just the way we had to do things during the off season or else we wouldn't make enough to stay in business.

This is especially difficult when there is a high volume of people around that are thirsty, but don't have the money to purchase drinks. We were located in a mall so there were tons of people walking by; I imagine a small coffee shop at a school may be the same.

I know it sucks, but it isn't done just to make people mad. frown

Edited by author Thu Feb 10, '11 12:53am PST

[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Thu Feb 10, '11 7:12am PST 
The early generosity was probably because they were sort of "open housing" and luring customers with freebies.

How 'bout carrying one of those water bottles? I have seen nice ones in dollar stores even, so they are cheap enough. Stick some cubes in with your water, and enjoy!
[notify]

Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sun Apr 3, '11 11:47pm PST 
I know what you're saying, Yoshi. I used to go to a Nightclub in the city when I was younger, a trendy, expensive Goth one. Not my cup of tea at all but went with some people a few times, trying to be social. I knew the owner from my own work at the time and have given him lots of stuff for his club, so he was really *good* with me and the water, you know, I'd actually get a glass and be allowed to fill it in the restroom BASIN. Woo, lucky me, I sure earned some brownie points! But if anyone else was caught taking a cup in there, look out, you're outta there, on the street faster than you can say 'inappropriate'. A girl I know got banned because she demanded he give her free water. (It's actually a legal requirement for nightclubs in Melbourne too.) And I was the lucky one with my glass full of ice! LOL!

Sometimes I think dogs have got the right idea and if we were all more like our canine friends the world would be a better place.

P.S I forgot to add this guy charged $4 for a bottle of water, because he knew all the ecstasy heads and speed queens would have to pay, less they keel over and die.

Edited by author Sun Apr 3, '11 11:48pm PST

[notify]
Sampson

the skinny Lab!

Barked: Mon Apr 4, '11 3:14pm PST 
I dunno, I think it's fair to make people pay for disposable plastic crap- kinda like how some stores are charging for plastic bags now too. It makes people start to bring their own bag (or water bottles) from home, so fewer are wasted or littered on the ground. Plastic is cheap, but it's still a non-renewable resource.

Some coffee places I know of do free water, with washable glasses you give back to them after. That way, none are wasted (though they have to go to the effort of washing them) and it encourages people to hang around instead of walking out the door. Win-win.

I think that nowadays you really shouldn't expect anything for free. It's nice when people do it, but they don't have to, and most won't. That's how the cookie crumbles... thinking If you want free water and don't like to use public fountains, bring your own water bottle.
[notify]
M.RY's- Utsukushii- At Pinnacle

Proud Heritage- Shows, NIPPO- Shiba Inu

Barked: Mon Apr 4, '11 5:40pm PST 
I really think it has it do with this fresh water shortage thing that they are charging more for water now. But with all self owned businesses they need to be able to pay their employees, pay for trashed cups, rent/utilities, and so on. So I can see why they would charge for cups and I know you don’t have a job but $0.25 isn’t asking a lot, some places charge a $1.25. When my Family owned the famous Yellowstone Drug Store and Malt Shop our prices were a little high in the winter since we didn’t get much business then and we did charge for water; small things to keep it running all winter and summer. So I can understand a change in price depending upon the supply and demand and sometimes the off season.
[notify]
Halo

Howling good- times to be had- with me.

Barked: Tue Apr 5, '11 8:03am PST 
Those disposable containers cost the shops, it's only fair that if you want one, you pay at least their cost for it. I have to side with the coffee shop, they didn't ask a lot and that cup did cost them. Sorry but nothing in life is free, that's just how it is. Maybe free to you, but is cost somebody something somewhere.
[notify]
Wiley

Where's that- rabbit?

Barked: Tue Apr 5, '11 10:08am PST 
I agree with the others. Nothing is free & 25 cents is really not that much. Plastic should not equal disposable! Think recycle! Buy a metal..not plastic...water bottle that you can fill halfway, put in the freezer..then top off with fresh before you leave the house & you'll have water when you need it.
[notify]