GO!

Patch got his DNA results

This is the place for pups to exchange ideas and information about a variety of dog-related topics. Don't furget that there are many great resources on Dogster such as Dogster Answers and Dogster Blogs!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Patch

Lets be pals,- rub my belly!

Barked: Tue Jan 25, '11 9:01am PST 
it claims he is husky/malamute and he has like NO malamute traits look wise or personality wise, i am confused

also why is he so small? he is like 45 lbs and he has merle coloring on his face

it says 99% accurate but i just can not believe this!
[notify]
Sam

I can get out of- anything...

Barked: Tue Jan 25, '11 11:22am PST 
Whoa. That's weird. It does seem odd. He almost looks like he has cattle dog in him. But he is so gorgeous!
[notify]
Bones

Bad to the Bones- <3

Barked: Tue Jan 25, '11 12:55pm PST 
I can see it. Don't really see Heeler in him at all...I would have guessed Shepherd/Husky myself. smile Pretty boy!
[notify]

Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Wed Jan 26, '11 3:47am PST 
Genetics are strangesmile I don't know much about either breed, so I looked them up. Info I found says that Siberian Husky's are only around 50 pounds, so he must have gotten his size from that side. As for the personality , maybe the 2 breeds mixed together made for a different personality.shrug
[notify]
Noodle

Barked: Wed Jan 26, '11 2:43pm PST 
These test are fake money grabbers. I'm sure though you can just look up on Google for yourself sometime.

Anyway, why your results aren't true, although I do see husky and yes they are a smaller dog than most people think, he is Merle. Merle is dominate, IE-you show it, or you don't have it. Even my red Dachsie you can see the merle splotches around his ears (agouti does cover it up, but you can still see the blue among the tipped hairs. Cryptic merle does exist, but that is a different complicated story you can also Google). Here is a list of all dogs who can be found in Merle, he has to have at least one of these in his background down the line (probably, in that 1% they left out of their 99% acuracy level):

http://www.lethalwhites.com/links.html

Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldogs
American Cocker Spaniels - AKC or UKC (not a recognized color for the breed, and often misidentified as Roan) -note, controversal color
American Pit Bull Terriers -note, controversal color
Australian Shepherds - ASCA or AKC or UKC
Beauceron - AKC or UKC (known as harlequin instead of merle)
Bergers des Pyrenees (Pyrenean Shepherds)
Border Collies - USBCC or AKC or UKC
Cardigan Welsh Corgis - AKC or UKC
Catahoula Leopard Dogs
Chihuahuas AKC or UKC -note, created color through cross breeding
Collies - AKC or UKC (Rough and Smooth)
Dachshunds - AKC or UKC (known as "dapple" instead of merle)
Koolies (German Collies/Coolies/Australian Koolies)
Great Danes - AKC or UKC
Hungarian Mudi
Norwegian (Dunker) Hounds or Norvegian Hound
Old English Sheepdogs - AKC or UKC
Pomeranians - AKC or UKC -note, created color through cross breeding
Shetland Sheepdogs - AKC or UKC

Edited by author Wed Jan 26, '11 2:46pm PST

[notify]
Hershey Bear

Silly old bear

Barked: Wed Jan 26, '11 5:40pm PST 
From my understanding, merle only exists in APBT's due to Catahoulas being mixed in somewhere. It's not natural in the breed.

And Patch has always been one of my favorite dogs on Dogster. he is so gorgeous.cloud 9
[notify]
Sophie CGC- CSD

da da dada da da- BAT DOG!!!!!

Barked: Thu Jan 27, '11 12:16am PST 
I definitely see the husky. Maybe there is a breed involved that the test you used doesn't detect. What brand was it? I hear some will give you the closest breed to thge markers they find so results can be in accurate such as a purebred AKC staffordshire coming back as a bulldog/border collie/boston terrier. I hear the wisdom panel will not do that and can detect most breeds. It is always important to make sure whatever test you are using includes all the breed you suspect are in the mix. Malamute could be because malamutes and huskies are closely related and whatever else it is cannot be detected. Maybe cattle dog or catahoula. She does look like she may be part catahoula.
[notify]
Daegan

Roll down the- window!

Barked: Fri Jan 28, '11 9:39am PST 
Did it mention any other breeds besides malamute and husky in his DNA results? I can DEFINITELY see husky or malamute, but I agree with the others. He looks like husky or malamute/Australian Shepherd to me. thinking
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Fri Jan 28, '11 3:21pm PST 
Yeah my guess would be that whatever breed provided the merle is a breed that is not recognized by that DNA test. Which company was it? They usually have a list of the breeds they detect on their website.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Fri Jan 28, '11 6:13pm PST 
That's true , I forgot about the tests not including some breedsthinking
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3