GO!

AKC Registration Question

This is the place for pups to exchange ideas and information about a variety of dog-related topics. Don't furget that there are many great resources on Dogster such as Dogster Answers and Dogster Blogs!

Rufio

I don't walk, I- prance!

Barked: Mon Jan 3, '11 10:23am PST 
I have to fill out Rufios AKC registration, does the name have to include his name? My breeder stated it has to begin with her kennel name. If I don't have to include Rufios name in the registered name, how does it work? thinking
[notify]
Frost

Gone goatin'!

Barked: Mon Jan 3, '11 12:45pm PST 
No, You don't have to include his "call name"...For example, my new dog "Frost" will be registered as "Tanimara's (kennel name) Promises to Keep" but we will call him Frost after the poet Robert Frost.
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Mon Jan 3, '11 12:57pm PST 
I think Frost answered your Q, but what do you mean "his name"? Do you mean "Rufio"? Usually a dog's "call name", the name that's used everyday by the humans isn't the same as their "registered name" (that goes on the paperwork and really is used only if you're going to participate in venues or breed).

So for example Ghost's dam is 'officially' known as 'Jadiel z [kennel name]' but at home and everywhere except in shows and on pedigrees people call her "Hera". The call name is not officially recorded anywhere. smile

Edited by author Mon Jan 3, '11 12:59pm PST

[notify]

Rufio

I don't walk, I- prance!

Barked: Mon Jan 3, '11 6:51pm PST 
Oh ok, yes I meant if his call name has to be included in the registered name. Well we will be competing in Agility at end of year so I guess that's when his registered name will be used. smile I guess his "call name" does not in any way have to do anything with the registered name shrug
[notify]
Frost

Gone goatin'!

Barked: Mon Jan 3, '11 7:29pm PST 
You can include or tie in his call name in the registered name however...For example Frost is named after Robert Frost, the American poet, his registered name is after a line in a poem that Robert Frost wrote & also after his dam who's call name is Promise.big grin
[notify]
Rufio

I don't walk, I- prance!

Barked: Wed Jan 5, '11 6:06am PST 
Frost, I like how you tied Frost with the registered name way to go
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Wed Jan 5, '11 10:59am PST 
Rufio.. just curious why you are registering him now (and not earlier?)

As far as I know the AKC does charge a 'late' fee if your dog is over x years old at time of registration, and Ghost is going to be registered prior to leaving his breeders' house. Just curious, if there was some benefit to late registration?
[notify]
Rufio

I don't walk, I- prance!

Barked: Wed Jan 5, '11 7:02pm PST 
I have till March to register him, if I do it later then there will be a $35late charge. No real benefit except that I'll be able to give AKC his microchip number which he got when he got neutered at seven months, I just never got around to registering him sooner shrug

Edited by author Wed Jan 5, '11 7:04pm PST

[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Wed Jan 5, '11 10:43pm PST 
Oh, ok. Was just curious. I never registered Lantis ..still have his blue paper ready to send in...looks like since he's almost 13 there's a $60 fee and I have to include a story about why...laugh out loud Was wondering if you have to do that too...bol
[notify]
Rufio

I don't walk, I- prance!

Barked: Thu Jan 6, '11 6:42am PST 
Oh boy, write a story about why you never registered? BOL! I better hurry then, I don't feel like writing stories haha shh
[notify]