GO!

what's the one thing that would help dogs the most

This is the place for pups to exchange ideas and information about a variety of dog-related topics. Don't furget that there are many great resources on Dogster such as Dogster Answers and Dogster Blogs!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Wed Dec 15, '10 10:58am PST 
What are dogs biggest problem or setback to them thriving? my first guess would be puppymills but what do you think are dogs greatest problem?

Edited by author Fri Dec 17, '10 4:33pm PST

[notify]
Samson

What a long- strange trip- it's been.

Barked: Wed Dec 15, '10 11:02am PST 
What it all boils down to is lack of compassion towards animals by humans.cry
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Wed Dec 15, '10 2:51pm PST 
oh goodness. Picking one thing is hard.

Shutting down puppymills would help the dogs imprisoned in them, but not the general population of pet dogs. Of course it would be GREAT anyway if it happens. Seems to be more people are aware of the practice and it IS slowing down.

Ending BSL would be good too- so many harmless dogs being put down because they resemble pitbulls, and owners living in fear (and not taking their dogs out in public ever) because they are afraid of them being seized.

Reforming the shelter system would be good too. A "No Kill Revolution" as animal advocates call it. Putting real brain power and a will to change into the problem of finding more homes for shelter dogs would be GREAT.

What else...

Greater understanding of normal dog behavior and communication would probably prevent almost ALL the serious dog bites in America. (And end the practice of killing dogs for justified/provoked aggression.) It would also stop dogs from being inappropriately punished for normal behavior like house-soiling, barking, and jumping on people... dogs need to be TRAINED to not do these things.

Wider availability of NON-surgical sterilization. A simple injection to prevent dogs from breeding would be GREAT, and it's just around the corner, scientifically (already exists for males, but seems to be in patent limbo) it would make it easier for shelters to sterilize dogs before adopting out, and would be more affordable for low-income pet owners. (And possibly avoid the stigma of "desexing" in some cultures.)

I'm sure I could think of more things I would love to see, but this is a start...
[notify]

Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Wed Dec 15, '10 3:08pm PST 
The single biggest problem in the US? In my opinion lack of welfare laws and good enforcement of such. You can't force someone to like animals, but you can make it so they have to either treat them well, not own any - or face the consequences.
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Wed Dec 15, '10 3:17pm PST 
True dat, Lillith. Not that we need more laws but that the ones we have are not enforced enough, or even at all in some places. We don't need more laws, we need better enforcement! Not just "we enforce when we feel like it, or have an axe to grind with you, or when so many people are complaining that we look like lazy bums for not doing anything" as is usually the case...
[notify]
Audrey- Hepbull

I am not dumb, I- am ignoring you.

Barked: Wed Dec 15, '10 3:17pm PST 
I think the single biggest problem is people who view dogs as disposable possesions or commodities with no right to have their welfare considered.
[notify]
Allee, Bama,- and Brodie- Bear!

Roll Tide- Roll!!! ;)

Barked: Wed Dec 15, '10 3:36pm PST 
Not nearly enough people that care one way or another.

And, unfortunately a lot of us like me that do care and have compassion for strays and dogs that aren't properly cared for don't have many ways or the money to do anything about it!
If only I had money, the things I would do to help.
cry

And, as like Audrey stated, so many people do think of pets as disposable and don't stick it out with them especially if it becomes an 'inconvenience' in their life to care for their dog/cat/etc

Edited by author Wed Dec 15, '10 3:38pm PST

[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Wed Dec 15, '10 3:37pm PST 
A dog's biggest problem IMO:
1) ignorant/irresponsible owners/buyers
2) puppy mills/BYB

Edited by author Wed Dec 15, '10 3:38pm PST

[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Wed Dec 15, '10 3:41pm PST 
see for puppymills, I think if they were shut it would decrease the genetic diseases in dogs but maybe not with back yard breeding and petstores still...and I guess there will always be genetic disease.

"Ending BSL would be good too- so many harmless dogs being put down because they resemble pitbulls, and owners living in fear (and not taking their dogs out in public ever) because they are afraid of them being seized. "

Oh guys don't dislike me (more for some) but I have a hard time seeing how BSLs are a bad thing. yes I can't stand when a dog is mistaken for a breed that's banned.....but ok I know many APBTs are wonderful that's easily seen with even dogsters who own their wonderful pit bulls. But..if breeding pit bulls did end, then wouldn't dog fighting end? They couldn't fight with another breed the pit bulls shape was designed for fighting and other breeds wouldn't last the same, their sick "sport" would be gone. And what other use do pit bulls have? They can be therapy dogs sure, but that's about it besides just pets. Which is fine, but my point is, their breed wouldn't be missed in future generations. I actually think BSLs for them would help the dog world. But I'd like to hear thoughts if I'm wrong smile

"Reforming the shelter system would be good too. A "No Kill Revolution" as animal advocates call it. Putting real brain power and a will to change into the problem of finding more homes for shelter dogs would be GREAT. "

Again I had thought the opposite....i mean if they made all shelters no kill, how could they handle the overpopulation and overall health and sanity of the dogs? would dogs just sit in a cage for years? I wish there was a solution tho, I'd like no kill shelters too if they could get around those problems.

"A simple injection to prevent dogs from breeding would be GREAT, and it's just around the corner, scientifically (already exists for males, but seems to be in patent limbo) "

I had no idea about this! Awesome!!!

And I agree with everyone about the welfare laws, forgot about that, yeah it would be nice to have laws that were enforced too.
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Wed Dec 15, '10 5:20pm PST 
Hoo boy, Adam, that's a can of worms... "what other purpose do pit bulls have"- well, really, what purpose do most non-working breeds have? What purpose does a Maltese have? A Keeshond? A Boxer?

And no, there ARE other fighting breeds- there is the Central Asian Ovcharka, the Akita and Tosa Inu, Presa Canario, and others. If there were no pitbulls, dog fighters could use other breeds. As it stands, when pitbulls are outlawed, the fighters just keep using pitbulls, and don't care that it's illegal. BSL mostly affects normal dog-owners, not fighters.

Dog fighting is already VERY illegal in America, and people that are involved with it tend to be pretty savvy about avoiding detection- therefore most of the pits that get siezed by AC are NOT fighting-bred. Big fighting seizures like Michael Vick's dogs are quite rare. And of course even most of Vick's dogs (who WERE bred for fighting) were able to be rehabilitated when given a chance.

And of course there is the concern about whether pits are more dangerous than other dogs in the first place- it's mostly media bias. When a pitbull (or a mutt who can be called a "pitbull mix") attacks someone, it makes national news. When a dog that ISN'T a pit attacks someone, it rarely gets reported at all.

Here's a website with the lowdown on why BSL is ineffective and unfair:

Stop BSL
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4