GO!

Vet Teching ?

This is the place for pups to exchange ideas and information about a variety of dog-related topics. Don't furget that there are many great resources on Dogster such as Dogster Answers and Dogster Blogs!

Tucker

Tucker the- Wonder Dog

Barked: Wed Dec 15, '10 5:59am PST 
Waaay back when I first got married I had a job working in a doggy daycare which was part of a vet clinic. To get more hours I would vet assist every other weekend and I liked it. I had to quit when I got pregnant and well life has gone on since then. My youngest dd starts kindergarten next year so its time for me to start thinking about starting a career and I would really love to get back into the vet business.

I've considered becoming a certified vet tech but when I was younger I fainted watching a neuter. I don't know if I can handle the surgery part but no other jobs in the vet industry pay well enough that I know of. I have the starts of carpel tunnel so grooming is a bad option for me. So do you get over that part? Will bigger vet practices hire someone who can't help with surgery? I don't have a problem with vax's, poop, euthanasia or any number of other gross things. Its just when they are sewing them up that I have problems. The thought of sewing skin just gets me.
[notify]
Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains

Barked: Mon Dec 20, '10 1:05pm PST 
It would be tough but not impossible. Some clinics have specific surgical techs vs treatment or outpatient techs.

However seeing blood, open wounds, broken bones etc may result in the same experience and these are next to impossible to avoid.

Consider a receptionist only position.

However to become licensed you must attend school where they will require you to learn and particpate in surgical classes and labs or you will not be able to pass. Also the test includes questions on surgical stuff so you will need to know what happens there. I think it would be next to impossible to become certified without being able to see suturing.
[notify]
Tucker

Tucker the- Wonder Dog

Barked: Wed Dec 29, '10 7:11am PST 
Thanks. I wish I could just get over it. I have tried. I made it through most of a necropsy when I took A&P in college and watched the slaughter house video with no problems (I was a food science major) but live animals are a different story for me. *sigh* Receptionist and vet asst. pay around here just isn't good enough. I would rather go back into the doggy daycare if that's the pay I'm going to be stuck with. lol
[notify]