GO!

Dog park incident.

This is the place for pups to exchange ideas and information about a variety of dog-related topics. Don't furget that there are many great resources on Dogster such as Dogster Answers and Dogster Blogs!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Tina

Dog park Ruffian

Barked: Fri Dec 3, '10 12:58pm PST 
So, I'm not normally one to rant about anything, but I want to know if anyone has experienced anything similar.

About a month ago a man (probably mid 60's) showed up to the dog park with his grown male German Shepherd. It seemed fine at first, but eventually got into a fight with a baby pitbull of about 7 months and bit it on its head so hard it started bleeding. The owners told him to leave and he did.
A week ago Tina and I were at the park and the same man showed up. Not soon afterward the dog made a bee-line for Tina and viciously attacked her. It didn't go far but Tina did yelp a few times. After accusing Tina of "provoking his dog", he left. I didn't do anything about it because I figured it may only be the second time and he probably wouldn't come back.

Boy, was I wrong.
Today we were at the dog park and the same man showed up. The dog Bolted across the park, tackled Tina and started biting her, growling, barking, the whole nine yards. Tina was yelping like I have never heard her before. I sprinted towards them and used all my force to get the dog off of her (mind you he probably weighs more than I do), and Tina promptly got up and ran to the middle of the park, away from the dog. When she sat down she was holding up her front right paw and whimpering. I ran after her and picked her up to get her away from trouble. I know that's bad because the dog could have bitten me, but I don't care much. If the dog wants to come after me he can do his worst because I can protect myself, but if he tried to hurt my k9 baby he'd have another thing coming.
As soon as I was sure Tina was safe, I started yelling. Now normally I don't confront adults (especially strangers) because I'm a 17 year old girl and I don't consider myself that threatening. But boy, did I lose it. I can't even remember half the things I yelled, but I know at one point I said "She's hurt!" "If you don't get out of here and never come back I'm calling the police. This is the second time he's attacked her!" and "Why do you keep coming back if all he does is attack other dogs?! Get him out of here!"
This went on the entire time he was WALKING after his dog and taking him out of the park. (There was one other woman who must of thought I was crazy. laugh out loud ) After he left I checked Tina for blood and, finding none, put her back down. After a few seconds she ran off to get a tennis ball, back to her old self. We stayed for about 10 more minutes and then went home, at which point I promptly put the local non-emergency police number in my cell phone for next time.

Why do people keep bringing mean dogs back to the park? He could have killed her! It angers me beyond belief. I hope he won't come back, but I know he will. I'm just going to have to watch the gate at the park from now on.
Has anyone experienced anything like this? What did you do?
[notify]
Koda

Fly by chomps

Barked: Fri Dec 3, '10 2:38pm PST 
I'm so sorry to hear your baby was attacked. I don't normally yell at other people either, but if I had been in your situation I'm sure I would've done the same thing you did. At least the guy left the park, but he definitely should not be bringing his dog back. Obviously his dog has aggression issues & should not be allowed to run loose at the dog park.

At my dog park, whenever a dog is attacked, people will post flyers around the park, on the gates, on the billboards, etc., notifying people of a vicious dog that attacks other dogs. I don't know if your dog park would allow you to post signs, but if you could, I'm sure that might deter that guy from coming back.

Glad your baby wasn't seriously hurt though.
[notify]
♥- DEOGIE- ♥

Born a dog but- turned into a- gentleman.

Barked: Fri Dec 3, '10 8:29pm PST 
People assume that entering a dog park your entering at your own risk and this is true to a certain extent but laws are still enforced and the owner of an known dangerous dog is still responsible for any and all injuries. Do your research, know your rights, record and report all attacks done by this mans dog.
Dog Parks and Liability for Dog Bites

Edited by author Fri Dec 3, '10 8:30pm PST

[notify]

Mister Spike

Ignore the- haters and lick- everyone!

Barked: Sat Dec 4, '10 1:42am PST 
You need to find out if this dog is vaccinated.

Spike got attacked at a dog park once. He was bleeding and needed vet attention. I pretty much just picked him up (he's 74 pounds) and carried him out of the park. I'm a 5'1" 16 year old girl, so it must have been an interesting sight.

My mom went back to the park to check if the dog was vaccinated. The owner tried to blame Spike, because of Spike's breed. Yeah..Spike was fine until the dog charged at him and held him down and went for his throat. This happened as soon as the dog arrived at the park. Spike had been playing well for about 20 minutes. The dog ran straight to Spike and attacked. The ONLY thing Spike did was push the dog off of him. He then ran over to me.

Depending on your dog laws, you could call animal control and get the dog banned from dog parks.

ETA: the guy stayed in the park with his dog. I've never been back. It was stupid of me to bring my Pit. I should have realized that if anything at all happened, my Pit would be blamed. I now realize that, and I will never go to a dog park ever again.

Edited by author Sat Dec 4, '10 1:44am PST

[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Sat Dec 4, '10 5:08am PST 
Good for you for sticking up for Tina and speaking your mind. applauseapplause More people need to tell ignorant people at dog parks to stay away. Turner became reactive at a dog park after an irish setter kept humping him - of course he was blamed being pit. I never, to this day, take him to dog parks. He doesn't need them. This guy is a jerk - plain and simple. Is this a private park or a public park? If it's a private park I would file a complaint with the owners asking him to be banned from the park. I'm relieved to hear Tina is alright. However, when you take her to a park now make sure she gets lots of praise so she doesn't develop fears. Once again, good for you for sticking up for Tina and speaking your peace - Job well done! cheerapplausecheerapplause
[notify]
Mikey

You know you- want to pet me

Barked: Sat Dec 4, '10 11:09am PST 
Oh, I would have gone berserk on the guy. Knowing that this jacka** kept bringing an aggressive dog to the park would be enough for me to go off on him, but if his dog attacked mine, then all bets are off.

Hope your pup is ok and I hope that pittie puppy is all right. If I were that pups pawrents, oooh, there would have been words and then some.

I don't like people who think that they do no wrong or that their dogs are perfectly safe. Screw them.
I know I'm sounding like a total meat head with my attitude, but I have zero patience for guys like him.

I don't go to dog parks because Mikey is either a target for dogs like that GSD or he becomes the problem so dog parks are out.

If you go back to that park and you see that guy approaching with his dog, go to the gate and tell him that you're calling the cops if he comes in.
I say speak up and speak up loudly when your pup is in danger. What's the worse that could happen in doing so?
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Sat Dec 4, '10 11:57am PST 
Listen, I just wish some of the other people there had backed you up. I am quite sure I would have done the same thing. Glad your pup is ok, and as someone above said - tell the owners of this park about it, or if it is public, consider calling your local animal control and reporting him.
[notify]
Maple Leaf

Where's the- Squirrel?!

Barked: Sat Dec 4, '10 6:44pm PST 
I support all that you did.

I believe that my mapleboy was emotionally scared by an unaltered male pit running into the park a while back and humping him. He pushed him to the ground, maple was petrified. My boy defends himself with his teeth so that was a very unhappy visit.
He doesn't get to play anymore unless there are less than three verywell behaved kids in the parks.
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Sat Dec 4, '10 7:56pm PST 
Is it a park you have to register for? If it is you need to contact who ever is in charge so they can get him. You need to know if that dog is vaccinated, and that dog needs to be banned from the park. Even if there's no registration, call the people in charge and file a complaint. Given that the dog has been a problem multiple times, something needs to be done. When I had a problem with my dog getting bullied, I called the park district police. They actually went to the house and gave him a warning about his dog's behavior.
[notify]
Dieta

AKA Baby Face

Barked: Sun Dec 5, '10 8:46am PST 
call your local park and find out what choices you have on this.
then if they don't have any rules, call your shelter and see if they are juristriction on the park. If that fails, call your local police agency and see what they think. Someone has authority over your park.
The best thing to do is be a voice right now. Find out who will help you next time he shows up.
He might not be capable of making choices that are appropriate if he has a elderly handicap. It is best to protect yourself before the next time occurs.
I don't go to dog parks. I have enough problems with people not containing their dog when we walk. I had a large Weimy attack our dogs out of a yard and he picked a fight with the wrong dog.
All my dogs are vaccinated,and he asked that. But, I should of asked him why he didn't have his dog under control, which he admitted to us. That it was totally his fault, the gate was open. But, his gate is always open.Get this, he is a police officer too smile
Sadly, most authorities won't do anything unless you are bitten. And this could happen when you try to protect your dog next time.
If this man keeps doing this then he is totally irresponsible, and nobody's dog should be hurt over it. I think even though, his dog is off leash or on leash, he has to have the dog under control, that's our law here. If the occurance has happened before, then you should record the occurance by video or your phone video so that you have proof the dog is aggressive to other dogs and poses a danger.
good luck
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2