GO!

Calling all Vet Techs for advice!

This is the place for pups to exchange ideas and information about a variety of dog-related topics. Don't furget that there are many great resources on Dogster such as Dogster Answers and Dogster Blogs!

Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Mon Nov 29, '10 8:09am PST 
I worked as a vet tech for 4 years, up until this August when I had to move away. Technically speaking, I was a "vet assistant" as I was never certified, but in actuality, I did everything a certified vet tech would do... mostly because my old boss was cheap and didn't want to pay us that much laugh out loud.

Before I moved I decided to enroll in Penn Foster's Veterinary Technology program, as where I was going had no accommodations for campus programs within reasonable distance. I knew that it wasn't really a great program... but I feel that I know the career already, why should I overpay to relearn it in college? I'm starting to lose confidence in the program because every review I read is nasty and degrading, saying that people using the program won't ever get to where they want to be.

I'm really at a crossroads here.. Honestly, the way I feel about college right now is that I have to drag myself through it in order to get a stupid piece of paper that says I can practice (because experience isn't worth crap anymore). However, I don't want to pay for this program and then not be taken seriously by possible employers...

What do you guys think? Is it worth waiting and looking for another program? We're only going to be living in this area for another 6 months at most.
[notify]
Maple Leaf

Where's the- Squirrel?!

Barked: Sat Dec 4, '10 6:54pm PST 
Is say it would totally be worth it to get certified. I realize that the program may not be the best, so you may want to find one that's more reputable. I considered Penn foster for a dog training program and decided against it myself. Goodluck
[notify]
Uno

I'm huntin'- wabbits

Barked: Sat Dec 4, '10 7:15pm PST 
I was thinking of taking courses online, but I'm just not self motivated. I did find a community college with a vet tech program in a city thats couple hours from here, so I'll be doing that, since I already have 1/2 the credits, its another year to go.
I know it can be a pain in the ass, but I definitely think you should get certified, even though the pay may not be that much better (depending on location).
Have you checked the schools in your area to see if they offer it? its generally pretty inexpensive and I applied for financial aid which covers my tuition/books and even rent.
[notify]

Valentine

Daddy's Princess

Barked: Mon Dec 6, '10 7:41pm PST 
Most states are now pushing to hire certified techs only, so it definitely pays to get your license. Depending on your state, you may not have to go to school to take the boards so I'd look into it, however there can be a lot of large animal, pharmacology, anesthesia, etc questions that you may not have learned in practice so it's a good idea to get a boards review book if you are able to go that route.
[notify]