GO!

Does Dad know what I want when I bark?

This is the place for pups to exchange ideas and information about a variety of dog-related topics. Don't furget that there are many great resources on Dogster such as Dogster Answers and Dogster Blogs!

Reno

Are you talking- to me?

Barked: Tue Jun 14, '05 8:36pm PST 
Can you believe that someone actually believes that when I bark I am not communicating with my Dad? Yes, it actually happened! I was being watched while my Dad was at work and his mom told that I kept barking incessantly. She then called him at work and I barked and Dad told her what I wanted. Do you believe each bark, sound, whine can be identified?
[notify]
Keiko- (4/8/98-12/5- /12)

Queen fuddy- duddy

Barked: Tue Jun 14, '05 8:58pm PST 
In most cases, yes I believe that there are differences in barks depending on what the dog wants.

In dogs that are bored or incessantly bark for no reason, however, they may just want to make noise. We have one dog at the park that will just stand and bark if no one is paying attention to him. But he is not barking at any particular person or dog. He is just barking the same tone bark over and over for several minutes. I used to think he was deaf and didn't know what he was doing, but he hears just fine. I've seen other dogs like this too, that bark just to hear themselves make noise.

But, like I said, in most cases, each bark has a different meaning, and the parents can usually pick it out.
[notify]
Marlowe CGC

Monk the Hunk

Barked: Tue Jun 14, '05 9:06pm PST 
After spending time with my dogs on a daily basis, day in and day out, yes, I know what they want based on their barks and whines.
[notify]

Shakespeare

Bringin' Sexy- Back!

Barked: Wed Jun 15, '05 8:13am PST 
Oh absolutely. Dogs have different barks for different situations. The "bored" bark is different from "I cannot believe you're going outside without me" bark. The "I'm hungry" bark is different from "Just try and get this toy from me, go ahead, I dare ya!" bark.

Also posture and general body language tell a lot. If you know your dog well more often than not you'll be able to understand what they're "talking" about.
[notify]
Kaiya

Foxy Lady

Barked: Wed Jun 15, '05 8:26am PST 
Kaiya only barks in her sleep, so I can only recognize her "I'm having a nightmare!" bark.

However, the dog I had growing up had a lot of different barks, and you could usually tell what was what.
"There are people walking past the house!"
"There are people walking past the house AND I'm scared of them!"
"You're home!"
"Weird animal!"
"HOT AIR BALLOON! MUST CATCH!"

She was a very vocal dog.
[notify]
Indiana- Jones

Car?! Did you- say car?!

Barked: Wed Jun 15, '05 9:18am PST 
My Mom knows what I want. I have a high pitched "hey, I'm begging down here!!" type bark. Then there's my happy to see you bark. And my play with me bark. And my chatty bark. And of couse my singing bark..........
[notify]