GO!

Etiquette?

This is the place for pups to exchange ideas and information about a variety of dog-related topics. Don't furget that there are many great resources on Dogster such as Dogster Answers and Dogster Blogs!

Harley

Harley the- Destroyer

Barked: Mon Jun 13, '05 5:23pm PST 
So we were at the Vet's office the other day, sitting quietly and patiently in the waiting room when a little girl and her mother burst in the door, the little girl holding the leash on a rather large dog. The mother walks up to the counter to sign them in and starts chatting with the woman at the desk about whatever problem her dog was having.
In the meantime, this little girl is tugging and jerking on this poor dog's leash for no apparent reason, sometimes actually lifting the dog off the ground (front paws), and she barks orders like "NO, MOLLY!" even though the dog isn't doing anything but sniffing around. The dog started to wheeze after a few minutes of being jerked around by this little kid.
I thought for sure the mother would turn around and scold her daughter for mistreating the dog but even upon seeing it, she did nothing. This kinda made me mad and made me wonder how that dog is treated at home.
I wanted to say "Hey, jackass! Stop letting your daughter choke your dog!" But decided it wasn't really my place to do so.
Was I right in saying nothing and assuming it wasn't up to me to tell this woman how to treat her kid and dog? Or should I have *nicely* told her that her daughter shouldn't be treating her dog that way? =/ I hate being conflicted.
[notify]
AJ (5/25/98 - 7/27/09)

Barked: Mon Jun 13, '05 8:17pm PST 
I think I would have said something such as, "Oh my goodness, you must be choking or hurting the little dog by jerking on the leash that way."

Then, if the mother said anything snappish to me, I would turn down my hearing aid.
[notify]
Keiko- (4/8/98-12/5- /12)

Queen fuddy- duddy

Barked: Mon Jun 13, '05 8:32pm PST 
Yes, I would have said something as well. Maybe "I think you might be hurting him/her", or "I don't think she/he likes that very much". I'm not surprised the mom did nothing. I've seen that all too often.....the parents ignore how the child is treating the animal. I am surprised, however, that the persone watching the front desk didn't notice or say anything. When I worked at vet clinics you always paid attention to where all the animals in the waiting room were and what they were doing, in case something happened.
[notify]

"Rusty the Terrible"

Annandale,VA

Barked: Tue Jun 14, '05 12:04am PST 
Take a dog biscuit from the bowl on the Vets counter... if they are worth a poo...the biscuits are there... just like lollies at the dentist,barber or doctor...

Give a biscuit to the little girl.... and show her how to bribe an animal to do what you want.

If it is hopeless and you feel the dog is not in serious danger, be happy that you do well with your animal and always keep at least one cold beverage in the fridge for yourself..

On the other hand, If you feel the animal is in danger, drinks antifreeze around the owners trailor home and hates this little girl.... Steal it.

One more test before making any decision... If you are the type of person that belongs on the board of a neighborhood association & polices your neighborhood, reports every violator of feces pickup and other hood violations, don't do anything. Your are most likely classified as a "Neighborhood Nazi"
If you are in this catagory you may require marriage counseling, medication, nights out on the town, and many other intervention programs..

"Rusty" Yep
[notify]
Laddie

Laddie the- brave and- wonderful - westie

Barked: Tue Jun 14, '05 1:15am PST 
Its difficult to intervene..but I think I would have said something to the child..... in a nice way!!!!
[notify]
Xena

lets cuddle!

Barked: Tue Jun 14, '05 4:18am PST 
i would have said something like "no sweety. you`re choking your dog!" i never just sit there and watch an animal get abused, im so nosey!
[notify]
Xena

lets cuddle!

Barked: Tue Jun 14, '05 4:19am PST 
i would have said something like "no sweety. you`re choking your dog!" i never just sit there and watch an animal get abused, im so nosey!
[notify]
Shakespeare

Bringin' Sexy- Back!

Barked: Tue Jun 14, '05 6:33am PST 
I probably would have done the same thing as you did. I would observe this and be appalled but not say anything cuz I would figure it wasn't my place.
[notify]
Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Love is never- being told you'- naughty!

Barked: Tue Jun 14, '05 7:34am PST 
It is difficult to know what to do. If I wasn't with my husband (he hates the confrontational British in me LOL)v I would probably have said something about hurting the dog. I really hate it when kids do this to their pets. If it wasn't that bad I might have remained quiet as I wouldn't want to get into a row with the mother.

I never report anyone to an association or similar, I approach that person in person. The other day the people down the road had their dog out without their electric fence on. He was roaming around our yard when I drove down the road I saw he taking having a poop on our pathway. I immediately went over to them and told them what he's done. The husband came to clear it up. We often get poop on our lawn and it's way too large to be Pepe so we are guessing that someone is letting their dog out to do this - instead of them doing it on their grass!
[notify]