GO!

Chaining your dogs.

This is the place for pups to exchange ideas and information about a variety of dog-related topics. Don't furget that there are many great resources on Dogster such as Dogster Answers and Dogster Blogs!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Gypsy

Get the- Football!

Barked: Fri Jun 10, '05 12:23am PST 
So, Mom was curious about your opinions on this. Right now, our fence has a...gap in it, caused this winter when a tree fell on it. So now Mommy has to keep on dog trollies.

She doesn't like to do this, but she can't leave us in the house all day, since sometimes she is goine for 10 hours a day. She will put us in the house on cold/rainy days, even though we have dog houses, and just prepare herself to do 'clean-up duty' when she gets home.

So, whats your thoughts on this?

Doodle

P.S. We are getting the fence repaired later this summer.
[notify]
Harley

Harley the- Destroyer

Barked: Fri Jun 10, '05 6:58am PST 
Hi Gypsy! smile
Sorry to hear about the fence but those things do happen. Although I am generally against chaining (and some places have even outlawed it), I think the situation would permit it, so long as you have adequate shelter/water etc. readily available and well within reach. Also make sure there's nothing around that the pup could hang himself on. I've gathered up a few sites to give you some ideas on the laws regarding chaining and how it affects the dogs....

http://www.unchainyourdog.org/Laws.htm
http://www.helpi nganimals.com/a-tether.html
http://www.dogsdeservebetter.com/home.h tml

Of course I understand you won't have to chain your pup very long so most of what is said in those sites probably won't apply to you. But its always good to know. smile Hope that helps.
[notify]
Shakespeare

Bringin' Sexy- Back!

Barked: Fri Jun 10, '05 7:10am PST 
you guys will be alright as long as you got water and shade, which I'm sure you do.

It's also probably better if she put you guys a ways away from one another so your chains don't get tangled together.

sometimes fences break, what are ya gonna do.
[notify]

Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Fri Jun 10, '05 7:41am PST 
I guess having the dog chained is a lot better than having it run away throuh the crack in the fence smile

If you have access to water and shade, it's probalby not so bad ( I always knock over water bowls - I hope you don't)

Have you considered crates as well?
[notify]
Kaiser

2/28/2005 -- 7/18/2005

Barked: Fri Jun 10, '05 10:29am PST 
Have you thought about those zip line type tie outs??? They give your dog a little more room to roam and are less likely to tangle. I HATE when people leave their dogs tied out constantly, but you're situation is a little different. I think they will be fine, and it is much better than them getting out of the fence and getting lost, stolen, or hit by a car.
[notify]
Kaltag "Kallie"

Mushing in the- SNOW!!!!!

Barked: Fri Jun 10, '05 12:32pm PST 
We're full-time outside dogs on chains. Once you get home, you should let him loose and let him run around supervised, and take him for walks to strech his legs a bit. That's what Kristen does. She says that we're on chains because Ty can open and close the gate, Sher can jump it, and I can get into a fight if another dog has a disagreement (that's why she says that I'm not allowed to go places with her like Sher is).
[notify]
Keiko- (4/8/98-12/5- /12)

Queen fuddy- duddy

Barked: Fri Jun 10, '05 1:02pm PST 
I have no problem with people chaining their dogs, as long as they are doing it responsibly. My parents dog after they moved into their new house (old house had enclosed porch dog stayed in) on an acerage was tied outside on a daily basis. They didn't use a chain. She had an extremely long tie out and was brought in at night and when it got too cold. She loved being outside, had thick hair so weather didn't bother her, and she would have hated a kennel. They let her off when they went out to the horses so she could nose around and got plenty of attention, had an insulated doghouse, and plenty of toys. She wouldn't have had it any other way.

She had to be put down last summer b/c of illness and spent the last few months in the house. They now have a new dog that stays in the house. Actually, where they live, they couldn't adopt a dog if it was going to be an outside dog, which I thought was strange b/c they live in the country, and most farm dogs are outside. Oh, well, their new guy wouldn't be suited for outside living anyway. smile
[notify]
CH Jokar's- RC Pacific- Sojourn

Happy to be a- Canine Good- Citizen!

Barked: Fri Jun 10, '05 8:36pm PST 
Keiko, I would think that the reason for not allowing someone to adopt if they are going to keep the dog outside would be that almost all dogs want one thing in life (besides chow!), and that is to be WITH people. Dogs were domesticated to live with people, they want to be near us. I never did understand why people buy dogs and chain them up waaay back in the yard, etc, where the dog has little chance of interaction with the owner/family. Farm dogs used to be considered to some degree as 'livestock'. I believe that thinking has changed as is evidenced by all the comments on Dogster, etc. People now see dogs as a vaulable asset to their lives, they bring so much joy and pleasure to us. So they need to be inside so that can interact with us, make us laugh, entertain us, and give us comfort when the chips are down. There is nothing like a big ol' dog kiss to cheer you up!!! They can't do that from a chain in the backyard.
The downed fence is an exception--the dogs won't stay chained forever or as a way of life.
It's too scary for me to leave my dogs outside unattended. If I'm gone, they are in the house. Recently in WY, there is a rural area where someone has been regularly poisoning the area's dogs over the last few years. The latest was a lady who had both of her dogs poisoned. The gal lives way outside of town, has her area fenced, and had the dogs in a chainlink kennel area inside of the fence. Her dogs were never loose and never wandered, they were not barkers. The person who poisoned the poor dogs had to go thru a lot of work to do his act--andhe had to wait for the owenr to leave home for the day. But---he had access to the dogs because they were left outside unatteded. It's just a risk I don't want to take.
[notify]
Keiko- (4/8/98-12/5- /12)

Queen fuddy- duddy

Barked: Sat Jun 11, '05 12:18am PST 
Actually, there are quite a few breeds that I know of that would prefer to be outside, rather than with their people. Not that they don't enjoy their people, but would rather be outside in the elements.

And like I said, if you are doing it resposibly, I have no problem with it. That doesn't mean leave the dog tied up all day with no socialization or exercise.

As far as the poisoning, that is unfortunate and I have also ran into a few cases. But they are rare, and the culprit is usually apprehended. I would rather have my dog happy and run the minute risk of something happening, then lock them inside and have them depressed, unhappy, and anxiety ridden.
[notify]
CH Jokar's- RC Pacific- Sojourn

Happy to be a- Canine Good- Citizen!

Barked: Sat Jun 11, '05 6:32am PST 
Keiko,
actually dog poisonings are unfortunately NOT rare. Dogs have even been poisoned in their crates at dog shows with a lot of people milling around. It's just a head's up kind of thing.
I agree that there are some breeds and individuals that do not crave social interaction with people. But it is way too broad of a statement to say that being indoors makes a dog depressed,unhappy, and anxiety ridden. I do not know one single dog who exhibits those symptoms from being inside with their family!
Tying a dog out can be done humanely as you stated. But the dogs I see chained are not being treated humanely, I think the potential for abuse (neglect) is pretty high with the majority of chained dogs. I doubt anyone on Dogster would fit in that category,and you surely don't--but as a generalization, chains are not a dog's best friend. There are exceptions of course.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3