GO!

WARNING FOR RESCUE GROUPS & NON-PROFITS!

This is the place for pups to exchange ideas and information about a variety of dog-related topics. Don't furget that there are many great resources on Dogster such as Dogster Answers and Dogster Blogs!

AJ (5/25/98 - 7/27/09)

Barked: Wed Jun 1, '05 7:24pm PST 
This is Willow talking now.. I'm AJ's mom and I am involved with "Almost Heaven Golden Retriever Rescue & Sanctuary" in West Virginia. I've been involved with the organization for over a year. Today I received an email from the webmaster of the site, Kat. (I've known her for over a year also and have emailed many times with her.)
Please read and pass on the info to any animal rescue organization that you may be involved with:

Willow

Date: 06/01/05 15:16:14
To: webmaster@almostheaven-golden-retriever-rescue.org
Subject: Fraudulent Donations - Scams hit the charities

For anyone who may someone involved with charity organizations or non-profits... feel free to give them pass this message along to them. Carol, the writer of the message below, is the administrator of a 501(c)(3) Non-Profit golden retriever rescue in W.V. If the cons targeted them, I would imagine they are targeting many other charitable organizations as well. I included one of the responses to the original post since they mention the same trend taking place with e-commerce sites and those selling items on E-Bay & Craigslist.

If something seems to too good to be true, it probably is.

- Kat

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 3hi52 PM
Importance: High
Hi Everyone:
Please cross-post this everywhere!

About 2 months ago I was contacted by an individual named Thereza Criz (may be an alias) about donating to our group. I gave her our information and she said she would send a donation via money order, that she lived in the UK.

She then contacted me and told me she was now in Africa working for the Aides Eradication Group and that when I received her money, I was to immediately send 40% of it to that group. Well, this sounded weird to me, so I told her no way. Then she told me to split it with "groups like yours". I could see no harm there, and agreed to do that.

I didn't hear from her for almost a month. About 2 weeks ago she began emailing me and asking if I had received her donation. I hadn't. Then she wanted me to email her immediately when we received it.

Last Friday I got 4 US Postal Money Orders in the mail - they were for $950 each. They were clearly made payable to Almost Heaven, sent from Nigeria (remember that part), but purchased by a Steve McGee of Indianapolis, IN. My antenna went up immediately. I got the postal inspector's office involved.

I was then instructed by Thereza Criz to send 40% of the $3800 donation via Western Union Moneygram to the Aids Eradication Group in Nigeria. I didn't fall for this scam.

Today, the postal inspectors informed me that these Money Orders are counterfeit. I am turning them over to them for disposition. The Postal Inspector told me that this counterfeit group has even pulled this scam on churches.

Please, please forward this message to everyone and anyone that you think might be targeted as a victim. We are a small rescue - so no one is safe.

Carol
Almost Heaven Golden Retriever Rescue and Sanctuary, Inc.
http://www.almostheaven-golden-retriever-rescue.org
ahgrr@fro ntiernet.net
AlmostHeaven@GoldenRescue.name
[notify]
Avalanche

Pardon my- mud-mask

Barked: Fri Jun 3, '05 7:13am PST 
Oh, jeez! this is the classic Nigerian "419" scam!

Nigeria is the fraud capital of the world and "419" is the section of the Nigerian penal code that says internet fraud is illegal, but they all ignore it because fraud is the 3rd major industry there.

EVERYONE should know about the Nigerian 419 scam:
http://home.rica.net/alphae/419coal/

Basically, if anyone says you need to deposit money or checks or credit cards to get money, it is fraud. Anything from Nigeria can be safely assumed to be fraud unless shown otherwise - take any offers to your bank and have a bank officer review it if you don't believe me.
[notify]
Nacho G.- (R.I.P.)

Nacho-Nacho Man,- I got to be a- Nacho Man

Barked: Sun Jun 5, '05 10:04pm PST 
Be aware that there are lots of other versions of this scam, too. Many are from the Netherlands, or claim to be from Spain. Any time anyone asks you to receive monies and send a percentage of them somewhere, just know it's a scam. The monies you would receive would be counterfeit, but you wouldn't know it till long after you sent out real money.

Some of these pose as charities, or as needy families, or even as a job offer. If it sounds fishy, IT IS.
[notify]