GO!

How to pronounce "Samoyed?"

This is the place for pups to exchange ideas and information about a variety of dog-related topics. Don't furget that there are many great resources on Dogster such as Dogster Answers and Dogster Blogs!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Katee

Can we go now?

Barked: Mon Oct 10, '05 6:23pm PST 
Ok, so I thought it was pronounced "sam-oi-ed"...but I'm watching a dog show on Animal Planet, and they've just insisted several times that it's pronounced "sammy-ed," by "those in the know." Dictionary.com agrees with me, but I was wondering what all you dogs thought?
[notify]
Rosie- Moondog

I Love My- Shellies

Barked: Mon Oct 10, '05 6:46pm PST 
It's spelled S-A-M-O-Y-E-D but it's really pronounced, "Throat wobbler mangrove."
[notify]
Rubi

Rub my belly!- please please- pleaseplease

Barked: Mon Oct 10, '05 8:05pm PST 
I had a Samoyed mix and I have never heard it pronounced "sammy-ed." I thought it was sam-OY-ed. That's weird. Were they British or Australian maybe?
[notify]

Bijou

What trouble can- I cause today?

Barked: Mon Oct 10, '05 8:27pm PST 
Merriam-Webster goes with a pronunciation closer to Sammy-ed:
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=samoyed

Next to the main entry at that link is a red speaker icon. If you click on it, you can hear how they pronounce it.
[notify]
Shadow - 6/27/89 - 1/21/06

Mommy's little- angel girl

Barked: Mon Oct 10, '05 8:32pm PST 
Ooh, they pronounce it Sammy-ed. I always said it like Sam-oy-ed.
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Barked: Mon Oct 10, '05 9:01pm PST 
i know a samoyed breeder (actuall they r moms relatives in Montana) and they say

SAM-O-YED

sadly their dogs have died. last one was last November. his name was Cory.
[notify]
Kaltag "Kallie"

Mushing in the- SNOW!!!!!

Barked: Mon Oct 10, '05 10:48pm PST 
Hmm, everyone in the skijor club in Anchorage with Sammies calls them the Sam-oi-ed rather than Sammy-ed. I've never heard of Sammy-ed until today. Odd...
[notify]
Bentley,- King of the- World

I ate- Miracle-Gro.

Barked: Mon Oct 10, '05 11:32pm PST 
whenever I've seen dog shows and such, I've heard it pronounced sammy-ed, so that's what I always thought it was. But it doesn't look like that!
[notify]
Shakespeare

Bringin' Sexy- Back!

Barked: Tue Oct 11, '05 10:37am PST 
OK, it is most definitely pronounced just how it is spelled, not sammy-ed.....
Samoyed means "self-eater" or "cannibal" in Russian which was they called the people on the arctic coast of Siberia that bred these dogs.
[notify]
Bentley,- King of the- World

I ate- Miracle-Gro.

Barked: Tue Oct 11, '05 11:02am PST 
Eww!

Who cares how it's pronounced, in that case. Maybe they should be concerned with more serious matters, like CHANGING THE BREED NAME! QUICKLY!!! (jk)
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3