GO!

Difference between male/female Newfies

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Thu Nov 10, '11 5:36am PST 
I'm about to bring a Newfoundland home with me. He was born a few weeks ago, and is beautiful. Just five more weeks!

In the past, I've owned Aussies and Border Collies, and have noted that males tend to get into more scraps than females. I also read on one site that male Newfies can be intolerant of other male dogs. I'd like to get feedback from Newfie owners on this. I've met several Newfies, and the males got along just fine together. The only exception to this was two intact males at a breeders, when a female was in heat. Even then they only looked hard at each other and were kept separated. One intact male with fixed males had no problem at all. Is this everyone else's experience as well?

Edited by author Thu Nov 10, '11 5:36am PST

[notify]
Kramer

Will work for- Food

Barked: Thu Aug 9, '12 3:59pm PST 
Kramer is a 5 week old Newfie boy, we haven't brought him home yet but he will be our first Newf. We have a mini Aussie currently and have owned a Border Collie before also! I've never heard of Newfies being aggressive at all. I don't know for sure, but from everything I've read I don't think they are. I guess if 2 intact males are near a female in heat they would probably fight over her but other than that I would say that Newfs are great with all pets/people. Kramer will be neutered about as early as possible so hopefully that will make him even more easy-going.
[notify]