GO!

could owners of NAIDs please reply?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2  

Barked: Sun Dec 29, '13 6:47am PST 
I am glad Wilbur is such an expert on NAIDs since they don't own one. IMO, that post doesn't hold any credible information at all. And the posts from owners (like myself) are in stark contrast.

As a Sibercaan (87% NAID) owner, I can vouch for their hypoallergenic quality. My Sibercaan ("Tonya") is also from Karen Markel - a wonderful lady whom was just an absolute pleasure and joy to talk with. Her facility and dogs are in top notch shape. My dog "Tonya" has had perfect health and, in the words of my vet, is "a dog unlike any other I have ever seen". She is quite possibly the smartest, healthiest, and loving dog the vet has taken into her care. Because I am a little bit crazy about health, I got her an extensive (and EXPENSIVE) bloodwork before her spay. Just like Karen said she would be, Tonya was perfect (like spot on...) in every single aspect and every single test. Of course any dog owner will tell you that you get out what you put in. "Tonya" eats near freely (she self-regulates) Orijen Large Breed food and never gets anything less than that quality. (I think people can debate if Orijen is the best, but lets leave it as at least in the top-10).

Now about the hypoallergenic quality - let me tell you that my mom has asthma so bad that she would die in a room with a dog for more than an hour or so. It is so bad that, while teaching, she got asthma from the clothing of her students who had animals. Needless to say, I totally understand your skepticism! I certainly was a big skeptic. Many people get hypoallergenic dogs because they don't want a runny nose. But this was a life and death situation! After talking with Karen and visiting her facility, we were finally convinced enough to give it a try. We figured a 20-hour ride home would prove without a shadow of a doubt. Let me say it was the best choice we ever made! My mom hasn't had the smallest, tiniest, bit of asthma since we got "Tonya".

Albeit Tonya is a high energy and high maintenance dog (as you would expect from a "northern breed") but she is a wonderful, wonderful family dog. She goes to work with me every day where she is a star and a ham - rolling over for belly rubs, running around with toys, and just being that moral booster everyone loves. I don't think I will ever settle for less than a NAID or Sibercaan in the future. smile
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jan 21, '14 6:41am PST 
If anyone is thinking of getting a naid from Karen (Indian dogs 4 u or gods dogs) think again. I have one he has been trouble since the begining. We have has so manny problems I wouldn't know where to start. She also does not do what she says as far as her sales agreement, she agrees to send you $100 after a spay or neuter but when it comes time she bails on you. My dog is an escape artist like know other. He digs a d runs away, inside h opens are windows and jumps through the screens and runs away. He is just soooo crazy but we love him none the less. It's challenging to work with a dog like that and you would think the breeder would help... Here's my last email between the breeder Karen and I after asking for some diet advice....

Me
Hello!
A few things I wanted to ask you. I have now switched to almost a completely raw diet for Koda, he seems to be alot happier with is. I just don't know too much about it and wondered if you could give me some tips... I give him ground beef and I also give him half racks of cow ribs with the meat on it. I take away the bones when they have been stripped clean... should I let him eat it? there have been times when hes puked up a small peice that he ate and couldnt handle I guess. Also, should I be feeding him whole bones in general? I've been told chicken wings are good if raw but I don't know what to believe. the last thing I want is to pay another $1000 plus surgery for a blockage like when he was a pup.

Also I had him neutered a few weeks ago but forgot you would help pay for that. Does that offer still stand if I send you the record?

Koda has been alot better since his 3rd trainer, he listens better and is running away less. I still have to keep him in a crate when I'm out frown otherwise he will destroy my house and I can't keep him outside while i'm out cuz he howls and digs under the fence to run away. but over all we are coming along nicely. Just thought you'd wanna know.

Her

I feel so sorry for Koda, he has had nothing but health issues and locking him in a crate is pure torture , the Sales Agreement and my website says do not lock them in a crate. You build a pen outside where he can't dig or jump out, if he had a canine companion, he'd stay around. He is not happy or he would not take off on you. Only old age, and or a broken hip is going to slow him down. No training is going to help, unless you totally kill his desire to live, and confining them to a crate will do it. I cannot , will not give you any more advice, when you treat a NAID this way, that's it, we're finished. Karen

So for the record I have multiple dogs and they do have a pen and we have 16 acres of land....
Don't get me wrong they are the most beautiful dogs on the planet and I would t give me koda away ever but they are definatly hard dogs to own and the breeder is a stone cold liar/bitch
[notify]

Barked: Mon Jan 27, '14 6:14am PST 
Ok before you read my negative comments here I'd just like to say that I absolutely love my naid named Koda, although he isn't smart like most people say about the naids... hes actually quite the problem dog, he has extreme seperation anxiety, poops all over my house when alone and can't leave him outside cuz he digs and runs away... I now put him in a crate but he literally can seperate metal and breaks/escapes crate only other negative is his strong instincs, because of them I cannot let him off leash at the lake.. he has run away many times and not returned. luckily someone always ends up calling me... again... that being said I love him very much, he's a very "special" boy, i can tell you he is the sweetest, nicest cuddly dog ever. So just because I got a below average naid, it doesn't mean you will. Now... I am reposting an old post because if you are thinking of buying from Karen @ majestic view kennes aka Gods Dogs... please read below.

If anyone is thinking of getting a naid from Karen (Indian dogs 4 u or gods dogs) think again. I have one he has been trouble since the begining. We have has so manny problems I wouldn't know where to start. She also does not do what she says as far as her sales agreement, she agrees to send you $100 after a spay or neuter but when it comes time she bails on you. My dog is an escape artist like know other. He digs a d runs away, inside h opens are windows and jumps through the screens and runs away. He is just soooo crazy but we love him none the less. It's challenging to work with a dog like that and you would think the breeder would help... Here's my last email between the breeder Karen and I after asking for some diet advice....

Me
Hello!
A few things I wanted to ask you. I have now switched to almost a completely raw diet for Koda, he seems to be alot happier with is. I just don't know too much about it and wondered if you could give me some tips... I give him ground beef and I also give him half racks of cow ribs with the meat on it. I take away the bones when they have been stripped clean... should I let him eat it? there have been times when hes puked up a small peice that he ate and couldnt handle I guess. Also, should I be feeding him whole bones in general? I've been told chicken wings are good if raw but I don't know what to believe. the last thing I want is to pay another $1000 plus surgery for a blockage like when he was a pup.

Also I had him neutered a few weeks ago but forgot you would help pay for that. Does that offer still stand if I send you the record?

Koda has been alot better since his 3rd trainer, he listens better and is running away less. I still have to keep him in a crate when I'm out otherwise he will destroy my house and I can't keep him outside while i'm out cuz he howls and digs under the fence to run away. but over all we are coming along nicely. Just thought you'd wanna know.

Her

I feel so sorry for Koda, he has had nothing but health issues and locking him in a crate is pure torture , the Sales Agreement and my website says do not lock them in a crate. You build a pen outside where he can't dig or jump out, if he had a canine companion, he'd stay around. He is not happy or he would not take off on you. Only old age, and or a broken hip is going to slow him down. No training is going to help, unless you totally kill his desire to live, and confining them to a crate will do it. I cannot , will not give you any more advice, when you treat a NAID this way, that's it, we're finished. Karen

So for the record I have multiple dogs and they do have a pen and we have 16 acres of land....
Don't get me wrong they are the most beautiful dogs on the planet and I would t give me koda away ever but they are definatly hard dogs to own and the breeder is a stone cold liar/bitch
[notify]

Barked: Fri Apr 11, '14 10:16pm PST 
Op,

I am also someone that am looking at getting an NAID, and like you I was extremely confused by all the conflicting statements about temperament, etc.

My conclusion: someone here already mentioned briefly. There is another dog called an American Indian dog that most people confuse with the NAID.

There are many opinions bad mouthing this other breed--for some legitimate reasons I might add--who fail to distinguish the two breeds. The people will use each name interchangeably every other line when they are actually talking about the American Indian dog.I'm not saying there are no problems with NAIDs. Some of these complaints I believe were actually about NAIDS, but the majority from what I could tell were about American Indian dogs.

Having never owned one I also can't testify to anything. This is just my conclusion from hours on the computer scratching my head in frustration.
[notify]

Barked: Sun May 11, '14 7:29pm PST 
It's sad to hear all the bashing of Karen Markel, Majestic View Kennels,

She owns the trade mark Native American Indian Dog,and started the NAID breed.

We have spent time with Karen, yes she did wolf rescue at one time. All the more reason these dogs have no wolf content.They are not breed with wolves. Talk to her and she will tell how the breed got started.

She knows both breeds well. NAID are not wolf dogs.

We got a two year old male from her, He is awesome.

They are very smart dogs and need to be trained by praise. You can't lock them up all day and take them out at the end of the day when you get home. They need to be busy.

I am self employed and spend every day with our dog,

We have two grand daughters 1 and 3 allergic to everything and had to get rid of all their dogs and cats, Both of them go right into his kennel create and No problems. He is great with them.

Temperament is incredible, gets along with everyone and any animal, including our cat.

We will be getting our NAID certified as a therapy dog.

All of Karen's dogs that we met had the same temperament, and if you had any problem she would gladly take it back.

I can't say enough about Majestic View, but you don't hear her bashing anybody.

Reputations proceed people, Go meet Karen Markel or call her. Meet her dogs then make a judgement.

I will get another dog from Majestic View and have given her number to dozens of people, after they met our dog.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2