GO!

could owners of NAIDs please reply?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '13 3:12pm PST 
i am about ready to get my first NAID and i am having some anxiety. i researched them extensively and talked to all but one of the licensed breeders and got basically the same story from all. i know that this is a recreated breed intended to look like pictures and as far as the price labradoodles are going for as much if not more and they are not an akc breed either--more backyard breeders of those if you ask me. i need a hypoallergenic dog that doesnt look girly (my sons request) and i have always had big dogs, mutts or GSD, What i want to know is--these web posts about them having terrible anxiety and behavior problems--are these the exception or the rule? any breed can have problem dogs. and what about the story about the breeds originator having wolf hybrids and changing the story when those became illegal and shooting all her really wolf-y looking dogs. is that true or a crazy story? i dont really want a dog that will eat my kids, but most people seem to be happy with theirs. thanks for the info.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '13 3:15pm PST 
p.s. i also know that no dog is truly hypoallergenic, just less allergy causing. for example poodles. my son reacts to labs and german shepherds but not poodles.
[notify]
Wilbur

Can I bite your- toes?

Barked: Thu Mar 28, '13 3:31pm PST 
Unfortunately most of the information is true. Most of the dogs from Karen Markels lines are a poorly (and I mean POORLY) bred mess mix of GSD, husky, Malamute and who the heck knows what else! I would say the only story that is still up in the air is when she got rid of all of her higher content wolfdogs- did she breed her lower contents into the lines of the NAIDS.

As far as temperament goes, it's a craps shoot with them. Some end up to be good dogs with temperaments similar to that of northern breeds, given a lot of socialization and work and others- well lets just say there is no shortage of them in rescue. Most of the NAIDS that have ended up in rescue, ended up there due to behavioral issues, some workable and some severe enough to warrant them "sanctuary" type animals only.

And as far as hypoallergenic goes. Lets look into this for a minute. She is mixing GSD's, Huskies, Malamutes and the like together- NONE of which are hypoallergenic animals. NO...they are not hypoallergenic!

confused

IMO the NAID is just another designer dog breed that was created with no concern for health or temperament- only bred to look wolfy and sell for big bucks.

I do hope he puppy you get is a happy and healthy baby! Good luck.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Apr 12, '13 10:17pm PST 
I am a proud NAID owner and beg to differ from the above post made. To answer your questions- any dog is prone to bahavior issues. I know it's all about the training, we trained our NAID puppy from the start and have had no complaints to claim about her. She was potty trained within a day or two and had a couple accidents from then on because we were not available to open the back door. The stories you hear can be over exxagerated and false at some points as well. It's true Karen Markel first used to breed wolf hybrids but that does not mean the NAIDs are invovled in that. I don't know how or what she did to get rid of them, but I can find out fairly quick since I talk to our breeder all the time and he is best friends with her. We purchased our NAID from Clint, he's a breeder in AK and you can check his site out for more info. www.happybendkennel.com

It's true no dog is truly hypoallergenic, but we have had a great experience regarding this topic as well. My fiance has had severe allergies all his life and could barely be in the same room as any dog or cat. Our NAID has caused no trouble for his allergy issues as well. Very little dander, no doggy smell and the once a year shedding is easily mantained through daily brushing. If you are active enough to walk for an our non stop with your NAID and give him/her the attention they require for training and socialization then you should have one heck of a dog! They are very intelligent and I'm speaking from experience! The way our pup mastered obedience commands and potty training is remarkable for any dog! They have friendly and energentic personalites and with proper training you are bound to build a great fun loving relationship! And last but not least- they are VERY loyal to you!

Hope you have a great time with your new baby puppy! remember calm and assertive energy will take you and your dog very far towards a positive relationship!
[notify]

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 6:52pm PST 
This is confusing. While I do not like to read negative comments about a respected breeder, I do want to know the truth. I guess one will have to figure it out for oneself. If you have a happy and healthy (as mention in prior posts) addition to the family that fills the role you had expected, papers or not is a non issue. Long term health and possible future behavior problems however, is an issue. Good luck all.
[notify]
Miacho

Best Nose Around

Barked: Tue Jun 18, '13 10:56am PST 
We adopted Miacho at 4 years old. He was super shy of men, and very energetic/rude when he met other dogs. We took him everywhere with us. My husband took him for walks every day, we had my brother take him for walks, and male friends take him for walks so he learned he can trust them. We took him to the dog park every weekend so he can interact. We watched him around my cousins (ages 5-12) and niece (6 mos). He has changed 100% and is the best dog ever.

Long story short; don't neglect the dog and socialize him/her well and they will adjust accordingly.

I won't ever get another kind of dog again. He is so smart and so loyal. You will love your NAID smile
[notify]
Miacho

Best Nose Around

Barked: Tue Jun 18, '13 10:57am PST 
Miacho is from Night Eyes Farms, in So. Cal. Shirley is his breeder. She is awesome with supporting the parents of the pups/dogs.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Oct 25, '13 4:25am PST 
We bought a Naid a year and a half ago from Karen Markel. I'm not sure why I've seen so many disparaging comments about her online unless the comments are coming from competetive breeders. Albeit the name Native American Indian Dog seems pretty redundant to me, we weren't looking for a Jurrasic Park "specimen" pet to begin with...just a good, big beautiful dog. I've never paid for a dog before out of principle because there are so many loving dogs out there who need homes already (had 3 in 35 years). This time, because my wife has severe asthma, we took a chance on the hypoallergenic posit. My wife has never had any allergic reaction to her and I have another friend who whelps up from allergies at cats and dogs. She had no reaction to Keomi rubbing all over her and giving her loving smooches. For me, it was the longevity issue. 12-13 years is just too soon to say goodbye to a loved family member. My wife got on Facebook and found out that indeed, there are owners of NAIDs whose dogs are 17 and 18 years old and still going strong! Our dog, Keomi has been AWSOME! At 9 weeks old, she rode from Michigan to Virginia without a single accident or episode and actually used a potty pad in the motel we stayed in right away. If you went to Majestic View Kennels, you would quickly see that these dogs are definately a breed, and very affectionate and kind spirited. We did take her to obedience school and her trainer told me that she is VERY smart....SCARY smart. She learns super fast and knows how to charm a crowd. Keomi doesn't have a mean bone in her, absolutely LOVES everyone, especially children and gets along with our 4 elderly cats great.
She has measured up to all of our expectations and then some. Of course we spoil her rotten.
The only negative thing I can say is that she does like to steal things and rip them in to little shreds. She's destroyed several hundred dollars worth of books, clothing and anything else at eye level. You'll learn quickly to hide your shoes and valuables if you don't want them out in the yard or decorating the living room floor. She does it with stealth and speed.
Keomi has been a blessing to our home and when oldest cats pass away (18 and 19 now), we'll get her a partner NAID. She LOVES other dogs and is very submissive. Again, as far as I'm concerned...pedigree schmedigree, papers or not, we got an incredibly beautiful, loving pet and I thank Karen Markel for starting this breed regardless of the sales pitch. With Karen's NAIDs, the risk of getting a dud is minimal in my opinion so we will go to her for Keomi's next brother or sister.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Nov 30, '13 9:18pm PST 
We adopted a male 1.5yr old a few years back (2). He was a wreck when we got him - nervous, didn't know what do to with himself in the house, terrified in the car, nervous of many (not all) men. Coming and off-leash were out of the question. He was already gentle though nervous with kids and good with all dogs including small ones. He was very thin because he refused to eat kibble beyond what was necessary for survival.

I am an experienced horse and dog person and have raised many litters of GSDs, so not a novice. It took work, but 2 years later, he is wonderful. He goes off-leash anywhere, runs with me, doesn't chase wild-life, and is OK with cats (though he'll chase if one runs - doesn't do anything, but will chase). He has also completely adjusted to vehicles, and we drove BC to Nova Scotia to Florida to LA to BC last year and are about to do so again.

He is fantastic, but like all large and energetic dogs, it took patients and gentleness to bring him around. He is very bright and cautious - you need to respect that. No idea on the hypoalergetic thing as we don't have allergies, but he sheds about the same as a GSD - all the time with a big shed of the undercoat spring and fall.

If you have a pup, get it out and about immediately and every day. Take them on every kind of surface and take them to every kind of environment. Introduce them to every kind of animal and person you can. Give them lots of opportunity to play with other dogs, be gently petted by children of all ages, and expose them to everything you can think of. And LOTS of exercise, even if your dog doesn't seem to need it - all dogs need activity, both physical and mental, every day. If you don't give it to them, they may be destructive, nervous, or bounce off the walls. A tired dog is a good dog smile

All of the above applies to all dogs, and getting one is a commitment to the next 20 years, so plan accordingly.
[notify]
Canth

Barked: Sun Dec 8, '13 4:47pm PST 
As a owner and a breeder of NAIDs for over 11 years, I will never own another breed. It is true that there is a competitive breeder of a dog with a similar name that has been slandering the breed for many years now. NAIDs require a great deal of training and socialization as do most intelligent breeds. Regarding the hypoallergenic issue, Most allergic people can own these dogs. One of my puppy owners requested that a saliva sample be sent to him so that his allergist could render down the saliva and inject it under the skin. The allergist also injected labrador saliva as well. There was no reaction to the NAID saliva, but there was a severe reaction to the Labrador saliva. Any reputable breeder will happily provide saliva or hair samples for testing, or better yet, send a shirt to a breeder, have them rub the shirt on the NAID and have the allergic person sleep in the shirt. I have done this in the past. I personally have dog allergies and this is the only breed that I can breath easily around. Feel free to join the Facebook Native American Indian Dog Owners group. Good luck with your search.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2