GO!

digestive problems

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Gibson

Little Ball of- Fury!

Barked: Fri May 15, '09 11:49am PST 
Gibson is ten weeks old and up to date on his shots. He was eating Purina Puppy Chow for 3 days and then started throwing up at night. He threw up little food bits that were not digested. He eats very fast! I tried feeding him less 3 times a day and moistening his food but he threw up again, this time it was liquidy. I switched him to Iams Smart Puppy Small Breed and he liked it, but a few minutes later started dry heaving and he never threw anything up. He is still playful and active like a normal puppy and he gets plenty of water. I called the vet and she said to switch his food to either Iams or Pedigree or Purina One and if he still threw up then get food for a sensitive stomach. After that, she said that it would be a good time to take him into the vet.

I know that miniature schnauzers have problems with sensitive stomachs, but I was just wondering if y'all had any suggestions. I think I will continue to feed him Iams and then give him a few bits before he goes to sleep and see if that works.
[notify]
Earl Grey

What is that, I- donno but I'll- find out

Barked: Sun May 17, '09 12:58am PST 
I know if you switch food with out doing it in proportions it will upset their stomachs thats why you should start off 75 old food 25 new then 50/50 and so on. I feed Earl Cadinane (sp?) but he did get sick a while back and i was told to feed hime white rice and cottage cheese to help ease his stomach, it work he is feeling much better and loves cottage cheese now
[notify]
Gibson

Little Ball of- Fury!

Barked: Sun May 17, '09 4:03pm PST 
yea i know about the slow switching method. gibson started throwing up before i even switched his food though. we're going to the vet tomorrow to get his second set of shots, so they might be able to tell me what's wrong. the new food is doing better for him though. he has only thrown up a tiny bit of liquid once and it was in the morning before i fed him. i think he was just hungry.
[notify]

Kate

Barked: Fri May 22, '09 1:38pm PST 
Hello there,
I would see a Vet .. Mybe something eals is wrong...
[notify]
Gibson

Little Ball of- Fury!

Barked: Thu May 28, '09 12:47pm PST 
i went to the vet about a week ago and he got his shots updated. there were no worms in his system so that is good. the vet just told me to feed him three times a day and moisten his food. so far it's been good. he threw up yesterday randomly, but i'm not too concerned about that... especially since today there was hair in his poop! he must have found a ball of hair and decided to eat it!
[notify]