GO!

does your mini go crazy at night?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Penny

Barked: Sat Apr 18, '09 9:06pm PST 
we just got a new mini schnauzer, penny, and she was great the first few nights. she recently started going completly nuts about an hour to two hours before bedtime. she gets crazy aggressive, biting/nipping, barking or growling, she starts showing very dominant behavior as well like grabbing and tugging on the leash while growling when we take her out to go potty befor bed or getting possesive of certian toys. during the day she is great, but this is really starting to make me frustrated and i don't know how to make her stop, our normal "nos" or corrections don't work when she goes into this frenzy...
[notify]
Max (aka- Sebastian)

Lovin Life

Barked: Sun Apr 19, '09 6:36am PST 
I haven't experienced that problem, but it sounds like typical schnauzer behavior, they would be in charge if we let them. I would suggest seeing a trainer or taking a class, once she learns some basic commands, then hopefully it will help.
Rufus is 11 months and we adopted him from a rescue that pulled him from a kill shelter, so he has no training what so ever. Schnauzers are such smart dogs, but getting him to learn his manners is taking a little while so I want to get him some training so he'll at least know his basics and we can grow from there.
[notify]
Uschi

Can I fit my- head through- that?

Barked: Sun Apr 19, '09 7:47am PST 
Since I haven't actually seen what your pup is doing, I can't say anything for sure, but the Uschi monster goes crazy when she wants to play. She mouths, jumps, growls and generally behaves in a manner that would be frightening if we didn't know that it was a game.

Is your dog getting enough play time? because miniature schnauzers are insanely active little dogs.
[notify]

Earl Grey

What is that, I- donno but I'll- find out

Barked: Sun Apr 19, '09 1:08pm PST 
Earl has acutally been just the opposite he in fact will hit the sack before I even expect him to I will play with him for a good two hours and before you know it he is making his was to his crate cuddling up with his stuffed piggy and sleeping the blink of an eye.
[notify]
Chewy

Schnauzer Wowzer

Barked: Mon Apr 20, '09 9:25pm PST 
It sounds like your schnauzer wants to play before bedtime. Like others have said, schanuzers are very active and it sounds like yours is just telling you they need some more playtime. When Chewy was younger he liked to play for a half hour about every two hours.
Congrats on the schnauzer!!!smile
[notify]
Holly Belle

I dream of- Doolin Kingsley

Barked: Tue Apr 28, '09 11:59pm PST 
Holly Belle goes crazy before going to sleep most nights. I think of it akin to what my boys did, and many children do, getting out excess energy, trying to fight being tired/sleepy, not wanting to miss out on anything the family may be doing after the kids have to go to sleep. She races around the place like a a whirlwind with a burst of energy; I attend to her, petting, brushing, giving her a treat or two, putting her through a few tricks, and then - into the kennel she goes whether she wants to, or not. She usually falls asleep as her head "hits the pillow."snoopy
[notify]