GO!

Male or Female Schnauzer?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Charlie

Barked: Mon Apr 13, '09 11:27am PST 
My parents have a male mini schnauzer with a wonderful personality. He is very well behaved and doesn't bark much. I'm looking to get a mini schnauzer for myself but the breeder I'm getting it from only has girl puppies. Does anyone have experience with male vs female mini schnauzers? I'm concerned that a females tend to bark a lot. I've read that females tend to be more "moody" also and males are more mellow. Any thoughts?
[notify]
Max (aka- Sebastian)

Lovin Life

Barked: Sun Apr 19, '09 6:43am PST 
I have only had male minis, my grandmother had some girls that were barky, but I think they were barky because of the lack of training and exercise. Any schnauzer will become barkey if they are not kept busy and exercised. Schnauzers are very smart, so you'll need to keep their minds busy.
My aunt and uncle had a family of schnauzers, only one boy and the rest girls. The girls were just as sweet and obedient as their boy, which again makes me believe it is more about the training, exercise and attention received then the sex of the animal.
If you fix the schnauzer that should get rid of any moody behaviors, both my minis were fixed, before I got Tweeker fixed he would mark everything, we couldn't take him to petsmart and he even marked me at the vet's office (he was an adult when we adopted him), but once he was fixed the marking and the obsessive controlling behavior stopped.
[notify]
Bo and Buddy

Barked: Wed Apr 22, '09 8:11am PST 
I have only experienced with male schnauzers, and they are very mellow dogs. I have heard that in other breeds females tend to be more moody, too. The training class I go to has a female schnauzer and even though she is well trained she still does not listen to her owner all the time. A mind of her own.

Hopes this helps
[notify]

Holly Belle

I dream of- Doolin Kingsley

Barked: Wed Apr 29, '09 12:39am PST 
Holly Belle is a female, and I wanted a female dog. Reason is, I didn't want everything pee'd on. I have been "marked" several times by other small dogs at the dogs parks we visit, I've seen everyone's folding chairs pee'd on constantly by many of the male dogs there, seen dogs getting pee'd on by other dogs, male dogs peeing in and on the water bowls. No thanks, very glad I have a girl!cheercheercheercheercheer
[notify]
Otter Mae

Barked: Fri May 1, '09 3:56pm PST 
I have a female mini schnauzer and she definately isn't "barky" or "moody". She has a lot of confidence but is very submissive and easily trained.
[notify]