GO!

Ear cropping

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Gizmo

snowman

Barked: Fri Mar 20, '09 1:12pm PST 
I am thinking about getting my puppies ears cropped. What are your feeling on this.

Edited by author Sat Jun 27, '09 9:13am PST

[notify]
Chewy

Schnauzer Wowzer

Barked: Fri Mar 20, '09 1:55pm PST 
I am against ear cropping. I see it as if you wouldn't cut off part of your childs ears when they are a baby, then you shouldn't do it to your puppy either. Plus I think the floppy ears are sooo cute! Just my opinion though.

AVMA Opinion(straight from their website):

Ear Cropping and Tail Docking of Dogs
(Oversight: AWC; HOD 07/1999, EB revised 11/2008)

The AVMA opposes ear cropping and tail docking of dogs when done solely for cosmetic purposes. The AVMA encourages the elimination of ear cropping and tail docking from breed standards.

There are tons of threads on this topic in the main forums. Do a search for more opinions. smile
[notify]
Otter Mae

Barked: Fri Mar 27, '09 8:15am PST 
Please don't....look how cute those ears are! Infections are easily avoided by using a ear cleaning solution once or twice a week.
[notify]

Max

Barked: Thu Apr 2, '09 5:45pm PST 
My schnauzer's ears are cropped, they were before we got him, but I would not do it. I don't think it is necessary.
[notify]
Sadies- Master- Rollye

Barked: Fri Apr 3, '09 8:32am PST 
tail needs to be docked, should already be done at birth, ears should not, there is no reason for it.

Tail prevents injury, as schnauzers are highly energetic dogs, and wag their tails at 93489484mph.

Hitting a table leg would be bad.

As for ears, I think estate owners used to crop to make their dogs look more intimidating, but it is not required, so why put your dog through the pain?
[notify]
Chewy

Schnauzer Wowzer

Barked: Fri Apr 3, '09 1:25pm PST 
Many other breeds of dogs that do not usually have their tails docked are more energetic or are equally energetic as mini schnauzers. Labs come to mind!

Just because a dog wags his tail a lot and is energetic does not mean that the tail should be docked. I think it is just as unnecessary as ear cropping.
[notify]
Sadies- Master- Rollye

Barked: Fri Apr 3, '09 5:42pm PST 
I feel all tails should be docked if the animal is energetic, we had a standard schnauzer growing up that hit his on a table leg, broke in 2 places, it took over 6 months to heal and was very painful.

If you ever have that happen to you, then you will understand, until then .. keep em long.

it is 100% painless to the puppies, so why not remove the risk. ears, i don't agree with.
[notify]
Midnight

Barked: Sat Apr 4, '09 6:46am PST 
I believe if there is no medical necessety the ears should not be cropped. Mother nature made them like they are for a reason. Humans are interfering way to much with nature as it is. However, of course it is up to you how to proceed.

greetings
[notify]
Beau

You smell- Mahvelous

Barked: Sat Apr 4, '09 12:10pm PST 
I agree with others, do not crop. It is antiquated and archaic. Taildocking is very painful at any age. A dog's tail and ears are vital parts of their makeup, especially tails ,when it comes to body language, other dogs look to the tail and ears to gage a dog and their intentions. Removing or altering them can put your dog in danger.
[notify]
Max (aka- Sebastian)

Lovin Life

Barked: Sun Apr 19, '09 6:23am PST 
My vote is for natural ears. Both our schnauzers had natural ears and I have to say that it is a very cute look.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2