GO!

Ears

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Fraiser

Barked: Thu Dec 11, '08 7:55pm PST 
Does any one have problems with their schnauzers ears being dirty and prone to ear infections?
[notify]
Uschi

Can I fit my- head through- that?

Barked: Fri Dec 12, '08 5:37am PST 
We have problems with dirty ears because Uschi has very hairy ears. Since plucking ear hair is one of the few sorts of grooming no one in my family is brave enough to do, we keep the hair in and under her ears cut short to prevent dirt and moisture from getting caught in there. So far we've been lucky and there have been no infections, but that's probably because of how thoroughly we examine her when go through our grooming routine.

If you have ear problems I would wait until they clear up and then see about going to a groomer to have them do something about all of that ear hair.
[notify]
★Pepper★

Visit BISCUITS- & BONES DOG- CLUB

Barked: Fri Dec 12, '08 7:04pm PST 
Pepper got her ear hair pulled out today for the first time. I wasn't present, so I don't know if it is a harsh thing to do or if it comes out easily?

It sounds like it would hurt, though!

It was included in the grooming package, among other things of which I had never heard of! The groomer said it is a common thing for Schnauzers to have done to prevent problems with the ears.

Yep! I'm learning a lot with this new doggy!
[notify]

Mika MADC,- MJDC,- AG.N.J.,- A.G.

My mom\\\'s- heart dog

Barked: Sat Dec 13, '08 1:40pm PST 
I don't get ear problems, but that could be because my groomer clips the inside of my ears. Nat, my mom, prefers clipping (to about 1/4") to plucking because it's less uncomfortable.

~Mika
[notify]