GO!

question about the color salt n pepper

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Gunner

Barked: Mon Oct 27, '08 4:27pm PST 
My mommy is a little concerned about my color. My "uncle" was registered as black n silver, but over the years with grooming he has become a dark salt n pepper. I am only 10 weeks old, I was dark when my mommy adopted me and after my haircut I was really really salt n pepper. After a couple weeks when my hair started growing back in it started taking on the color of almost rusty look. Salt n pepper with shades of tan mixed in. Is this normal? Will it eventually grow out to where it's all salt n pepper?????
[notify]
Rudi

Master of the- Grumble...

Barked: Tue Oct 28, '08 3:48pm PST 
Hi Gunnerwave
You´re beautiful... We love the way you look!!! We´ve seen other schnauzers with a brownish/tanish teint as well, and it just make them more unique and that much more loveable wink I think they are called Chocolate/Tan or Liver/Tan Schnauzers. Check it out on the web.
I was really dark (black & silver) when I was a pup and now 2 years later I´ve lightened up soooo much that my Mommy wonders if someday I´ll end up all silver. I guess it´s a schnauzer thingsnoopy
[notify]
Uschi

Can I fit my- head through- that?

Barked: Wed Oct 29, '08 1:52pm PST 
Schnauzers have, for lack of a better way of putting it, strange coats. If you cut their hair rather than strip it, the color and texture change completly. A clipped coat will, over time become lighter in color and softer in texture.

As for brown fur showing up, it happens in some schnauzers and there are a number of reasons for it. Some of them just have a brown tint to their coat or light colored hair that gets stained. My Uschi monster has a brown undercoat around her shoulders and neck, so when we strip her and the undercoat grows in more quickly than the rest of her hair she has a sort of brown cape until the undercoat is removed or her proper hair grows back in.
[notify]

Lexus

Lexus: fun,- energetic,- optimistic,- loved

Barked: Thu Oct 30, '08 3:19am PST 
Lexus is the same way.
I am 9 months old and have hints of brown. Most of the brown is gone now and has turned white, though. My older brother was the same way and he is now 4 years old and completely salt and pepper.
[notify]
Lexi

I wag my tail- and not my- tongue

Barked: Sat Nov 1, '08 2:11pm PST 
Lexi has a brown patch just below the base of her tail when her hair starts to grow back after a clip she is a dark salt and pepper
[notify]
Simba

Only Real Dogs- Window Surf.

Barked: Sat Nov 8, '08 8:48pm PST 
My Simba has brown here and there too.

As a newborn he was a sandy/tanish color with a black stripe down his wittle back, and now he is a Salt and Pepper, but as I said he has brown here and there.

His sister (the runt) looked the same as a newborn, but now she is pure white!
[notify]
Charlie "the- ferocious- beast "

Barked: Sat Dec 27, '08 11:25pm PST 
They do have puppy hair ! Charlie was brown and now when he is groomed he looks almos white like his mom so I am guessing he will be more salt and pepper later on
[notify]
Sadies- Master- Rollye

Barked: Fri Apr 3, '09 8:49am PST 
Sounds like you got some Liver in you.

Our male's father was a Liver Parti.

Our male is mostly salt/pepper, but his overcoat shows a lot of dark color until he is groomed.

Our female is black, her mother was a Liver Parti.

The overcoat hair around her paws comes out a little lighter than her black coat, with tints on Brown.
[notify]