GO!

Hand Stripping...?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Cody

I love to learn- new tricks :)

Barked: Sat Sep 13, '08 3:52pm PST 
I have read, on other forums, about hand stripping a schnauzers coat

. Do any of you do this? Other than for showing a schnauzer, is there any other reason to do this?

Hugs and thanks,
Cody's Momma
[notify]
Rudi

Master of the- Grumble...

Barked: Sun Sep 14, '08 2:51pm PST 
I once spoke to a breeder who practiced this, but she showed dogs. She also cropped all her dogs ears. A matter of opinion I guess. If we would've found a schnauzer with cropped ears - that won our hearts, fine. Nothing against it but when faced with making the decision to have it done to Rudi. We decided against it. We didn't want a show dog - we wanted a pet. She said that stripping encourages a dog's natural coat texture and color and that once a dog is clippered, the coat begins to soften and often the color will lighten to the point where it no longer resembles the dog's true color. A stripped coat is harder, is dirt- and water-repellent, and does not mat as easily as a clippered coat. The coat will lie flatter, and so can be left to grow longer. I spoke to my Vet (close personal friend) as well as our groomer and they both told me it was unnecessary unless I wanted to show him, where apparently it is required. I rarely brush Rudi out because he hates it so - but I do check regularly for matts and knots in his skirt and under his arms. I'll then use a de-matting tool that looks like a little claw. MatBreaker Dematting Tool (www.allpetsconsidered.com) Just Google it and you'll find something similar at Petco for probably half the price I paid. I bathe him probably every 10 days or as needed and get him professionally groomed every 6-8 weeks. His coat has always been so soft & hasn't gotten wirey. As far as the water repellent issue. I think it just naturally pearls off of them. He dries really quickly. And the coat color being lighter and not reflecting their true color. Yes Rudi has gotten grayer these past 2 years (if that's from him not being stripped or if that's just the ways things happen with Salt and Peppers... I really don't know) shrug I love my little grey grouch and don't mind him being lighter - I've got a few of my own grays as well! Hope this helped...wave
[notify]
Cody

I love to learn- new tricks :)

Barked: Sun Sep 14, '08 4:13pm PST 
Thanks Rudi!

I looked at some websites and found pictures of how they do hand stripping. I'm with you....I don't feel that it is necessary for me to do that since I don't intend on showing him. My daughter and I brush him a couple of times a week. He fights it less now than he did in the beginning, which is good. He was groomed Thursday and his hair got darker after being groomed. I was surprised how dark his under coat is. Whether he's darker or lighter, I don't care. I love my little mustache boy big grin

Hugs!!
[notify]