GO!

mini foster!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Sammy

Barked: Sun Jul 20, '08 7:09am PST 
Mom is fostering a mini schnauzer/poodle mix and her beard is matted, is there any products to get the mats out easy? She is 10 months and not very good with the grooming!
So she doesnt like to sit still while I brush hersmile

HELP! HAHAdancing
[notify]
Uschi

Can I fit my- head through- that?

Barked: Mon Jul 21, '08 2:41pm PST 
Just about any pet store of a decent size should have all sorts of shampoos and conditioners. I don't really know any specific brands since we're still in the experimental stage with the Uschi monster. We do know more than we'd like to about mats and tangles though so I can tell you what we know about those.

The first thing is to understand the difference between a mat and a tangle. Tangles, as I consider them, are soft and can easily be pulled into smaller parts by hand before removing them with a brush or comb. They also tend to practically fall out when you run a brush of comb through them. Mats are hard, can't be pulled apart and more often than not are discolored. With these things we tend to focus more on damage control that combing out.

If the dog you're dealing with really doesn't like being bathed/brushed I would suggest cutting the mats out, you're not trying to groom for show so your main focus should be as little stress and discomfort as possible. Honestly, as lovely as a schnauzer's beard is it's probably the least important bit of fur on their body (or at least that's how I view it). Cutting out mats and starting from scratch is probably the best way to go since mat removal can be uncomfortable and take a long time. You want the grooming experience to be pleasant so the dog will cooperate in the future.

Oh, another thing that I've found out is that a fine toothed comb, like the what a person would use, works really well on beard and leg fur. The Uschi monster has very little patience for being brushed, but she will let me take a comb to her face and legs.
[notify]
Scooby

nino

Barked: Mon Jul 21, '08 8:43pm PST 
Comb it's the best option, my scooby doesn't like the brush on his face but does very well with the comb. I use a flea comb and really works for the beard.
[notify]