GO!

Doesn't have a mini schnauzer, but seeking info

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Sandy Baby- ♥

I may look- little, but I'm- ALL dog!

Barked: Tue Jun 3, '08 11:49pm PST 
On the breed, that is.

When I move out of this heck hole, I plan on adopting new companion for myself and for Sandy and Cinnamon (and, possibly, the cats) and, I was considering a miniature schnauzer. I was thinking this because- I think they're adorable, I love the way they can be groomed and Sandy is OBSESSED with them.

I was considering mini because I want a female and Cinnamon doesn't play well with bigger female dogs.

Anyway, I was just wondering a few things- so, any advice would be grand.

Are they fine with just a few walks a day?
Or do they prefer running around the yard?
How often should they be groomed?
Do they play well with cats?
Do they often play well with dogs?
How hyper/not hyper are they?
Can they tolerate an overly hyper dog? (i know my friends shnauzers can- but, I'm referring to the breed overall)
What kind of setting do they fair better in? (i.e. an apartment, a house, a trailer, etc.)
Are they one person dogs?
Or do they love people?
And, lastly, what is their temperment/personality overall?

Edited by author Tue Jun 3, '08 11:53pm PST

[notify]
Uschi

Can I fit my- head through- that?

Barked: Sun Jun 8, '08 7:36pm PST 
I'm not an expert by any stretch of the term, but I have had experience with my own two Schnauzers and will say that they're good enough dogs.

-Are they fine with just a few walks a day?
It depends on the dog, Princess was fine with a few walks, Uschi demands at least three with length less important than the chance to run.
-Or do they prefer running around the yard?
Princess would only play in the yard if we were there, Uschi will wander off and do her own thing for as long as we let her (our yard is fenced in, otherwise she'd wander off).
-How often should they be groomed?
It depends on how you want them groomed/what you mean by grooming. Princess we would clip her fur and she was fine for a year since we let her fur grow long for the winter, the only problem was we needed to brush her at least once a week and keep a look out for mats which we had to cut out. Uschi we're letting go 'natural' so she looks like a scruffy little thing, but we only need to comb her face, chest/stomach and legs once a week. The problem with that is the rest of her has to be stripped which took me about two weeks and since I'm not a professional she looks a little off. Since she's not anything other than a pet we touch up around her neck (where her soft and rough fur meet) and under her tail with the scissors, we also cut her eyebrows rather short (being careful not to get her eyelashes which are very long). We're hoping that we can just get the old fur out come fall and leave it scruffy over winter this year before doing another all out, two week marathon stripping session next spring. For us it's going to trial and error. I will say though that if your dog is going to be mostly an indoor dog/is good about being clipped do shave it, Uschi panics when she hears the clippers so stripping is less stressful for her.
-Do they play well with cats?
We've never had cats, but Princess was trained to chase them (Sounds mean I know, but one of her jobs was to protect our chickens and keep any predators out of the yard)
-Do they often play well with dogs?
Princess was fairly good when she was younger, as she got older she got a bit more 'no nonsense', but had no problem if visitors brought their dogs into our house/if we ended up needing do babysit for another older, relatively well behaved dog (basically if they showed no interest in her she would watch them/do her guard dog routine, but never made any move against them). Mind you, when I say older, I mean more than eight or so years old.
Uschi has yet to meet a dog that she hasn't instantly loved. One of her favorite things to do is visit my aunt's dog and play with her and my aunt's dog is a sixty-eight pound, vaguely pitbull type dog. She's also good with dogs closer to her size such as the beagle down the street and a very silly Chesapeake Bay Retriever puppy we've met a few times.
-How hyper/not hyper are they?
It depends on the dog. Princess was very calm except when she was of the mindset that she was acting as a watchdog (she had different barks for different things though and once we told her to be quiet she would). Uschi is the total opposite, she rarely barks, but she has a whole range of sounds she makes and is full of energy. She is a little prone to being mouthy when we play, but my family knows her well enough to recognize when she's getting too into it and once we tell her to stop with the biting she does. Uschi will try to run you to exhaustion though, she needs a lot of exercise or else she's bouncing off the walls.
-Can they tolerate an overly hyper dog? (i know my friends shnauzers can- but, I'm referring to the breed overall)
Princess, when older would have acted to put a hyper dog in its place, Uschi would probably think it wonderful to meet an equally crazy animal.
-What kind of setting do they fair better in? (i.e. an apartment, a house, a trailer, etc.)
As long as you can give them an outlet for however much energy they have I think anywhere would be fine. I mean Princess was good for trips where she would be in the car all day for several days, only getting out for walks and to be smuggled into whatever hotel we were staying at and Uschi when inside pretty much stays in whatever room the person she wants to be with is in.
-Are they one person dogs? Or do they love people?
Princess liked people very much, Uschi loves everyone. They each picked a favorite, but the only thing that changed was who they would go to first when entering a room and how well they responded to orders. In terms of affection they had no favorites.
-And, lastly, what is their temperment/personality overall?
It varies from dog to dog as with all breeds, but I will say there is some importance in letting them who is boss when it becomes necessary. They will test you and some of the tests may be so subtle that you might miss them. The good thing is that they are so very smart that they only need to be told once and they remember forever. Princess was a totally different creature compared to the way Uschi is and we ended up needing to be a little more strict with her. Princess would pick up tricks easily enough, but she always look to see what she could get away with until we let her know that we were the ones in charge. After that she was so well behaved it was hard to believe she'd ever tired to misbehave.

If you get the chance to pick the puppy yourself or have a person you trust/a really good breeder do it for you you have nothing to worry about, it'll be the same as getting any other puppy. If you've worked with dogs before though there's nothing to worry about at all.

Hopefully I've helped you and not babbled for too long.

Edited by author Sun Jun 8, '08 7:41pm PST

[notify]
Sandy Baby- ♥

Barked: Mon Jun 9, '08 3:24pm PST 
Thanks for the help!
I didn't mind the babbling, I was actually beginning to think NO ONE would reply so I was thrilled to see how long your reply was.
I liked most of what you told me; the only thing I'm worried about is the grooming- I'm worried I'll cut all wrong and (if i do get a schnauzer) my dog will end up looking like some kinda jacked up art project. DX But, I plan on taking grooming classes... so, hopefully that won't be a problem. (i plan on having A LOT of long haired breeds... so, grooming is a must. DX)

Thanks again. ^^

And, might I add, your dog is one adorable pup.
[notify]

Uschi

Can I fit my- head through- that?

Barked: Tue Jun 10, '08 1:50pm PST 
I'm glad you think Uschi looks nice since I did most of her grooming myself and it was the first time I'd ever stripped a dog before. My mom maintains Uschi's eyebrows (my family has found it's easier to get the dog's eyebrows straight if there's someone their head in place, otherwise the dog will likely tilt its head to get a better look at you and you may end up cutting one eyebrow shorter than the other).

Really though, I don't think a well behaved Schnauzer would be all that difficult to groom, especially since if the dog is not a show dog since then you can just cut their fur however you like. For instance with Uschi I have short hair going much farther down on her legs and sides than is standard while leaving her head hair long to help hide the fact that she has a rather small head relative to her chest and shoulders. Princess we kept even farther from the standard style, leaving her hair longer over all than typical, but shaving very far down on her legs.

Look around at the Schnauzers posting here and I'm sure you'll see a lot of variation in the way their fur is cut.
[notify]
Sandy Baby- ♥

Barked: Wed Jun 11, '08 2:10pm PST 
^^ It's nice to know you did it yourself. I know a lot of people have groomers do it. Actually, I've only known two people to groom their dogs themselves (not including me) my mom; she used to groom her pomeranians ALL the time; and the lady down my street. ^^

I'll have to look around, though. I'm curious to see all the different cuts, now.
[notify]
Hemi

Magnum Force

Barked: Wed Jun 11, '08 4:59pm PST 
Hello Little Miss Sandy.

I'm no expert either but I have had 6 Mini's over the past 20+ years and all have had different personalities.
They love their walks, but are also happy just running around the yard.
The grooming is normally about every 6 - 8 weeks depending on how fast their coats grow....taking a grooming course is a great idea, as I know when I started grooming my own I had manys "ooppps"
They are quite content to live anywhere whether it be a house or apartment, but can be barkers if allowed to do so.
All of mine have loved people except for Buddy who was scared by a young girl on a bike when he was only 10 weeks old and he's now afraid of kids.....he wouldn't bite but gives them a very wide berth.
Feeding habits were a problem years ago and we learnt the hard way that we don't feed table scraps.....very hard sometimes when you get that typical "please" schnauzer look.
All in all they are a wonderful breed and of course the no shedding is a big bonus.
I'm sure you would be happy with the breed but you also have to let them know at a yound age that 'you are the alpha' and not them ..lol
[notify]
Sandy Baby- ♥

Barked: Fri Jun 13, '08 6:40pm PST 
Thank you, too, Hemi. XD

It's good to hear that most of your schnauzers love people. Granted, they won't have to deal with people much if living with me... I'm more of a dog person... but, nonetheless, I like have an occasional person friend, y'know? (which is why I'm trying to get Sandy out of the habit of barking madly at company...) And, I thought a grooming course would be good for a potential shnauzer pawrent. laugh out loud The one thing I love about them (i must admit) is their fur! The way it can be cut and even the way it looks uncut. smile

Thanks for the info and the advice.

PS I wish like heck I could adopt a dog right now because I found a schnauzer on a rescue site right here in NC that took my heart. Her name's Penny. But, she's just a babe.

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=10793 866

Edited by author Fri Jun 13, '08 6:49pm PST

[notify]
Lillian- Marie

Lovely Lillian

Barked: Wed Jun 25, '08 5:36am PST 
Eh, Looks like you've gotten plenty of help. But might as well! Let me tell ya, us schnauzers are mar-vel-ous.

1. Walks are awesome. I never skip my daily one. I stay inside mostly, though, simply because I can get so dirty so easily! I'd go with the walk-a-day choice. Though, a jog would be good too, considering how active we are!

2. Or gorgeous coat needs to be brushed EVERY day. While the top half of most of us are shaved, our belly and chest can become a nightmarish sight if not brushed often enough. Don't forget my beard. It can become matted, too! As far as haircuts go, like, a trip to the groomers, I would go every 6-8 weeks, just to maintain a healthy coat. Don't forget to clip off dead ends! It prevents out lovely hair to grow. frown

3. Love-hate relationship, as far as cats go. I am pro-Kyoko, the little black shelter cat that lives with us, but schnauzers like to chase chase chase! I chase EVERYTHING-it doesn't even have to be smaller than me. I have a thing for squirrels, though.

4. YES! Any dog can, if socialized early enough. Just bring the (not annoying) dogs, and let the party begin!

5. Hyper? I wouldn't go as far to say "hyper". We're active! We're (mostly, hehe) pretty mellow in the home if given enough time to expel our energy elsewhere. But like any dogs, let us get bored, and watch you garbage bin DIE.

6. Schnauzers are pretty tolerant. I, personally, am not too found of those overly hyper doggies out there. Notice how I said "not annoying dogs" for a party. I met another toy-sized schnauzer pup in Petsmart the other day, and she was great for a little while, but Mummy could tell I was doing the best I could not to growl at her. She kept jumping on me...!

7. Anywhere, we're pretty small, and with proper amounts of exercise we could do really well in an apartment.

8. ONE person? Are you crazy? How could I SURVIVE with ONLY the attention of ONE person? No, no, no. I need my crew! And those people with treats I don't know! Nope, people lovers.

9. Temperament? Everything you've ever dreamed of. We're plucky, we're loving, we're active, we're watchdogs, but, um...not for little kids. ("little" to me, is under 7). ....We'll get scared and defend ourselves against the prodding fingers, too..

Hope I was able to assist ya! smile
[notify]
Sandy Baby- ♥

Barked: Sat Jun 28, '08 11:35am PST 
Thanks for the help.

ANd, you were. smile
[notify]