GO!

miniature schnauzer's fur suddenly change to brownish.....!!!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
toro

Barked: Sat Nov 3, '07 7:10am PST 
i ned help here....i hav a salt n pepper schnauzer.my m.schnauzer's fur change from white to brownish.dont know y?anyone here can let me know how to prevent tis brownish color???it mostly occur at the front leg.n now the back leg oso got...haiz...worry....cos he ook very dirty ....but i bath him once a week...dog
[notify]
Grigsby Von- Jutz

Born To Be Wild

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '07 12:56pm PST 
The brownish color around the mouth the vet told me is from the saliva. It's kind of a natural thing for schnauzers to have that she said. Not all do but it's just something we have that turns it that color. Hope this helps!
[notify]
Willow

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '07 3:54pm PST 
you sould not wash him that often it ill dry out his skin . once everother week is better. and as for the dicoloring . it happens all the time with my schnauzer right after I goom her . I don't know why. and as the hair grows back it changes back. could you have use to much oil for you blades. I don't know. but I will keep my ears and eye opened for you.puppy
[notify]

Liebe

Live to Love and- Love being- Loved...

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '07 5:59pm PST 
Kalli (the grey one) likes to knaw on her front paws. They are reddish brown now. That color hasn't gone away.

I have actually seen a brown Schnauzer. They are called chocolate Schnauzers. You can read about the colors at the AKC website.
http://www.akc.org/breeds/miniature_schnauzer/index.cfm
[notify]
toro

Barked: Fri Nov 23, '07 10:16pm PST 
thanks ya....from the picture tat i posted there......u all can c tat ...his fur mostly look brown....
[notify]
Angus

The furniture is- all mine

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '07 12:59am PST 
You will also find that if Toro is stripped rather than clippered his hair should stay a true color. If you are wanting to show him in Conformation shows he needs to be either; all black, salt & pepper or black & silver. If you are not planning on doing this then don't worry about it. You have him listed as 5 months old, I have a 10 month old and her fur is still changing.
[notify]
Buddy

Bundle of energy

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '07 10:10pm PST 
Using a plastic water or food bowl also causes the beard to go the brownish color.
I have had 6 schnauzers and heard about this just before getting our 2 new additions......they only get stainless steel water & food bowls and are now 2 & 3 years old....no brown showing yet.
[notify]
Talis

Tali-my-banana

Barked: Wed Dec 19, '07 12:54pm PST 
I have also found that what Talis is fed makes a difference as well as the water he drinks. He stays fairly white with the Eukanuba Small Breed. I noticed a distinct change in the color of his beard while I was out at my parents' house a while back and then remembered that they have a lot of iron in their water. He brightened right up once we were home for a while.
[notify]
Pumpkin

Barked: Wed Dec 19, '07 6:43pm PST 
Don't worry! Tannish or copper hues in a salt & pepper schnauzer's beard, furnishings, and even down the back is normal and is hereditary. It is even mentioned in the breed standards. Some have it, some don't!
[notify]
Pumpkin

Barked: Wed Dec 19, '07 6:47pm PST 
Here is a cut and paste from the AKC website:

Salt and Pepper - The typical salt and pepper color of the topcoat results from the combination of black and white banded hairs and solid black and white unbanded hairs, with the banded hairs predominating. Acceptable are all shades of salt and pepper, from light to dark mixtures with tan shadings permissible in the banded or unbanded hair of the topcoat.

Hope this helps!!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2