GO!

Housetraining - poll

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Mona

Doing something,- let me poke my- nose in?

Barked: Mon Aug 27, '07 11:54am PST 
How long did it take for your mini to be housetrained?
[notify]
Rudy Mack

Eternal Optimist

Barked: Tue Aug 28, '07 11:42am PST 
We don't know what is normal but Mom got me at 5 weeks and I was fool proof by 12 weeks. Maybe earlier but absolutely trustworthy by then.
[notify]
Reagan

Natural-eared- WILD CHILD!

Barked: Tue Aug 28, '07 11:44am PST 
Mom got me at 6 weeks. I was doing really good by 10 weeks but totally trustworthy by 12 weeks.
[notify]

SAMSON

SAMSON - aka - Sir Barks-A-Lot!

Barked: Tue Aug 28, '07 2:52pm PST 
Mommy got me at 6 1/2 weeks and I was house trained at 9 weeks dancing She thought I was the smartest pup ever. But we had a trick!wink
[notify]
♥Muff- in♥

Don't eat me I'm- too cute!

Barked: Sat Sep 1, '07 9:56am PST 
Mommy got me at 4 months! I was potty trained at 6 monthes!She was so happy the house wasnt smelly anymore!party snoopy So was i!
[notify]
Winston

iz in ur howse- hoarding ur toyz

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '08 11:28am PST 
I know this thread is very old now (no activity in 176 days!) but I'd love to hear some tricks and tips used (SAMSON mentioned that he had a trick to learning!) to potty training your mini schnauzer. We just got a 7-8 week old puppy last night and I am trying to make sure I do it right smile

Thanks!
[notify]
Winston

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '08 11:28am PST 
I know this thread is very old now (no activity in 176 days!) but I'd love to hear some tricks and tips used (SAMSON mentioned that he had a trick to learning!) to potty training your mini schnauzer. We just got a 7-8 week old puppy last night and I am trying to make sure I do it right smile

Thanks!
[notify]
Rambo

Play hard and- love hard!

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '08 4:47pm PST 
Got Rambo when he was 4 months old and had accident here & there when we 1st brought him back. We use the crate for training Rambo and it worked very well. As soon as he is out of the crate, we bring him to the grass area, and he does business right away.

Here is Rambo's potty training pattern that we developed, since we have to work 8 hrs a day and able to come home during lunch at the 1st month when we brought him home:

Night time - sleep in the crate

Morning - out of the crate pee/poo, eat breakfast, pee/poo again.

Lunch - out of the crate to pee/poo, eat lunch , pee/poo again.

Dinner - out of the crate to pee/poo, eat dinner, pee/poo again.

Running around the house (out of the crate) during ANY Free time - out to peepee every 2 hrs, and peepee again right before bed.

Now that Rambo is almost 6 months old, he had only a few accidents that i can remember. I know it's exhausting, but you have to be consistent with your training. Shnauzers are very smart and they will learn fast to use the designated bathroom very soon as long as you are consistent.
[notify]
Winston

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '08 8:31am PST 
Thank you so much for your help, Rambo! I think we will try to follow the same idea. I've read so many positive things about crate training, so we'll definitely get on that soon.

I am proud to say that last night was an accident free night, and it was only his second night home @ 8 weeks! I'm home this week (I'm a full time substitute teacher, but this week is a mini winter break) so I was able to take him out every half hour or so -- mostly when he first woke up from a nap, had eaten, just finished playing, etc. Last night we took him out to pee/poop just before bed around 9pm, and he snuggled up on the pillow by the bed to sleep when we went to bed. Around 11:15pm, I heard him whine, so I immediately got up and rushed him outside, where he peed. Yay! He came back in and went to bed and didn't wake up again or whine until the alarm went off. This time daddy took him right out and he peed. No pee/poop accidents overnight, though, so I'm glad that I heard him whine at 11 and took him out.

As far as peeing goes, we're seeming to get that down ok. But it's the poop schedule I've not figured out yet. He doesn't poo every single time he pees, and I've read advice that when you take them out, to not come back in until they've done their business. I take Winston out and he'll always pee, but I never know if he needs to poo or not or if I should wait longer or if he doesn't need to poo just then. Know what I mean? It's only day 3 with him, so I'm sure we'll figure that schedule out, but I really appreciate any suggestions. Rambo, your advice was very helpful and we'll try to put that into action! Next week I'll be back at work, and both of us work 8 hours, so I'm hoping to get a crate today and do the best we can.

Thank you!
[notify]
Winston

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '08 8:31am PST 
Thank you so much for your help, Rambo! I think we will try to follow the same idea. I've read so many positive things about crate training, so we'll definitely get on that soon.

I am proud to say that last night was an accident free night, and it was only his second night home @ 8 weeks! I'm home this week (I'm a full time substitute teacher, but this week is a mini winter break) so I was able to take him out every half hour or so -- mostly when he first woke up from a nap, had eaten, just finished playing, etc. Last night we took him out to pee/poop just before bed around 9pm, and he snuggled up on the pillow by the bed to sleep when we went to bed. Around 11:15pm, I heard him whine, so I immediately got up and rushed him outside, where he peed. Yay! He came back in and went to bed and didn't wake up again or whine until the alarm went off. This time daddy took him right out and he peed. No pee/poop accidents overnight, though, so I'm glad that I heard him whine at 11 and took him out.

As far as peeing goes, we're seeming to get that down ok. But it's the poop schedule I've not figured out yet. He doesn't poo every single time he pees, and I've read advice that when you take them out, to not come back in until they've done their business. I take Winston out and he'll always pee, but I never know if he needs to poo or not or if I should wait longer or if he doesn't need to poo just then. Know what I mean? It's only day 3 with him, so I'm sure we'll figure that schedule out, but I really appreciate any suggestions. Rambo, your advice was very helpful and we'll try to put that into action! Next week I'll be back at work, and both of us work 8 hours, so I'm hoping to get a crate today and do the best we can.

Thank you!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2