GO!

Potty Training

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Miley

Miley Min Pin

Barked: Mon May 24, '10 2:53pm PST 
Has anyone had trouble potty training their min pin? I have had Miley for 3 months now and we have had NO luck at potty training. Everyone says "crate" train her, but concidering that before I adopted her she lived in a crate the first 4 months of her life, it is hard to leave her in a crate. I don't know what to do. I have tried potty pads, but she uses them sometimes, and sometimes not. Any suggestions???shrug
[notify]
Jack CD/CDX,- CGC

I nap, therefore- I am.

Barked: Thu Jun 24, '10 12:06pm PST 
She is adorable big grin Minpins can be stubborn. Do you have her on a schedule? How often does she eat and how often do you take her out?

Aim for taking her out every two hours in the beginning and make sure that you can supervise her at all times when you are home, tethering her to you with a leash works wonders... when she can't be with you, could you set up an x pen inside for her with the pads since you don't want to crate her?
[notify]
Toby

Barked: Tue Aug 3, '10 9:48pm PST 
My Toby was about 3 months old and when he came home it was out every 2 hours, then at night no water or food for a couple hours before bedtime and still up 2 or 3 times to let him out.
He seems to have it now-it was like click and the light went on for him-ohhh that's what you want. LOL But a crate at night or if you have to go someplace is the easiest way to housebreak. I never used pee pads even though it was raining and cold. But you could teach to go in a cat box.
[notify]

Mickey

Smells like- bacon!

Barked: Mon Oct 11, '10 8:12am PST 
Mickey is 10 weeks old, I am potty training him using a pee pad by the entrance door to our apt. (All rooms have carpet). I try to put him on a schedule, but does not work out since I am at work 10 hours a day most of the time. He keeps my mom and nephew company but they tend not to follow the schedule. He rather poop on the pad and pee outside, which I am having some trouble getting him to do everything outside when I am home. Also, he uses the pad every other "bathroom session" and sometimes goes under the dinning table. Sometimes its frustrating but I figure he is still new to this, and I do praise him when he uses the pad on his own. My mini pin needs a bathroom break within the first ten minutes of waking up. First one every morning at 6 am, he wakes me up so that I can take him. Usually I tell him go use the pad and he walks over to it and uses it.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '13 9:33am PST 
I got a min pin from a rescue group about 6 month ago. I still am having problems with him going outside. So far he does when he is alone, he uses the doggie door and goes. Now the problem is he won't go when I am home. Will he ever get the message that he has to go outside and not in the house.
[notify]
Brutus

Napoleon Complex

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 3:15pm PST 
Brutus was 4 when we got him, and for a year now we've worked on housebreaking. It just doesn't click--if we leave him out of his crate at night, he will relieve himself on the carpet (never the hardwood!). Thinking about litter box training.
[notify]